IOPList.Org
What are you afraid of? Sharing your phobia(s) will help others! - Printable Version

+- IOPList.Org (https://www.ioplist.org)
+-- Forum: Medical Discussion (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Anxiety Depression & Stress (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What are you afraid of? Sharing your phobia(s) will help others! (/showthread.php?tid=4165)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

What are you afraid of? Sharing your phobia(s) will help others! - Rafterman - 01-17-2018

Hey, all!

Writing about your personal phobia(s) may not only help you, but can also help others who read what you have to say. No phobia is too weird or far out. After all, phobias are UNreasonable fears. They are suppose to be strange.

You would imagine that I have heard some unusual ones and you would be correct. Fear of cheese.
Fear of marshmallows. Fear of red cars. Fear of hair. Fear of sneakers. I have heard them all. 

On a more personal note, I have had severe claustrophobia since childhood. That's so common, though. How about a raging fear of weeds? Yep, I have that. The neighborhood kids got wise to that really quickly when I was growing up and would chase me with them. When we were children, my sister would call herself "the witch of the weeds" and hide weeds everywhere in order to scare me. Great sister, eh? 

My best friends wife is afraid of clowns, crosswalks, white paint, and mayonnaise.

So, what are you afraid of for absolutely no rational reason whatsoever? Are you seeking treatment (progressive desensitization, cognitive therapy, medication, other?), or are you just living with it? Care to share?  Thanks

RE: What are you afraid of? Sharing your phobia(s) will help others! - Blockhead59 - 01-17-2018

Hey Rafterman, lol, you ask the best questions lol! Is there a specific mental health disorder name for fear of mayo? I truly am always afraid that I am emitting weird smells, it's called Olfactory Reference Syndrome, or ORS. It's not severe, for me anyway. But, it's there. I learned about it in school. know it's unrealistic and unreasonable but I still think about it a lot.

Grad school friends and I were going to throw a party where you come as your favorite mental health disorder. lol. Oddly, most of us were pretty attached to the ones we chose. Lol.

Thanks for sharing your fear of weeds!! And fisherman, thanks for sharing your fear of possibly hurling yourself over an edge of a cliff if not prevented!

RE: What are you afraid of? Sharing your phobia(s) will help others! - Naomi - 01-17-2018

My most "common" fear is being abandoned. My strange fear would definitely have to be the elbow crook. I don't know the proper term, but you know the inside of your elbow/arm where physicians draw blood from? Yeah, I can stand it. Can't look at it can't touch it. I've have this fear for as long as I can remember.

RE: What are you afraid of? Sharing your phobia(s) will help others! - Rafterman - 01-17-2018

(01-17-2018, 02:46 AM)fishfarmer Wrote: Hello Friend! A comic once said that when polled people "are more afraid of public speaking than dying, therefore most folks would rather be the deceased than deliver the eulogy" I am fortunate and do not mind public speaking and have given many tours and a few TV interviews. My only phobia is a silly one, but my Brother in Law feels the same way. I will be surprised If anyone has the same feelings! Am not afraid of heights at all, but if there is just a simple rail to prevent me from throwing myself over the edge, I am scared to Death. Not suicidal at all but knowing that I could do that freaks me out! Went to the top of the Stratosphere tower in Vegas, what an awesome view, but only walked within a few feet of the small barrier. They should put an 8 foot fence with razor wire on the top and then I could walk to the edge. Best Wishes -FF

Howdy, my good friend,
I can absolutely relate to what you are saying. I have felt that way for years. I first noticed it when my wife and I went to Niagara Falls. I don't know how many of you have been there, but there is a railing that is about 2 feet high (on the American side). It is really there for show because you can step right over it and jump into the Falls if you wish. I, too, am not afraid of heights, but what freaked me out was the fact that a person could simply end their life by taking one step forward. Same thing with balconies on tall buildings. I would wish that they would all have a 6 foot high fence around each balcony, lol. Like you, I am not suicidal by any means---but I just rather not be given such an easy opportunity. Very interesting, IMO. Thanks for bring it up, FF.  Regards, RM

(01-17-2018, 03:45 AM)Blockhead59 Wrote: Hey Rafterman, lol, you ask the best questions lol! Is there a specific mental health disorder name for fear of mayo?  I truly am always afraid that I am emitting weird smells, it's called Olfactory Reference Syndrome, or ORS. It's not severe, for me anyway. But, it's there. I learned about it in school. know it's unrealistic and unreasonable but I still think about it a lot.

Grad school friends and I were going to throw a party where you come as your favorite mental health disorder. lol. Oddly, most of us were pretty attached to the ones we chose. Lol.

Thanks for sharing your fear of weeds!! And fisherman, thanks for sharing your fear of possibly hurling yourself over an edge of a cliff if not prevented!
Thanks, BH. Great contribution, as always. So, so interesting. I had read about ORS, but I must say that I believe I have encountered only one case of it. It must be at least somewhat comforting to know that it is well recognized and shared by some others. I am glad that you don't have a severe case and that it doesn't interfere with your life. That is the best kind of phobia. One that you can make interesting conversation about, but doesn't get in the way of your daily life. BTW, is your advanced degree in a psychological discipline? Just curious, if you care to share.  Have a wonderful day. RM

RE: What are you afraid of? Sharing your phobia(s) will help others! - Naomi - 01-17-2018

Thank you to everyone who has shared so far. Hearing some of the more "uncommon" fears is really comforting.

RE: What are you afraid of? Sharing your phobia(s) will help others! - Rafterman - 01-18-2018

(01-17-2018, 05:38 AM)Naomi Wrote: My most "common" fear is being abandoned. My strange fear would definitely have to be the elbow crook. I don't know the proper term, but you know the inside of your elbow/arm where physicians draw blood from? Yeah, I can stand it. Can't look at it can't touch it. I've have this fear for as long as I can remember.

Naomi.
Wow, I have never heard the elbow crook one. Kind of sucks that you have two of them and that they will never leave your side, so to speak. I wonder if that started when having some blood drawn as a child. Do you have a fear of having blood drawn? It is quite interesting that this would be a phobia. Have you ever tried to get to the bottom of it? Do you often wear long sleeves so you don't have to keep looking at them? Now, the fear of being abandoned is part phobia and part realistic fear. Those are the hardest ones to beat. If its not overwhelming you or preoccupying your thoughts, then its best to work on that one a little bit at a time. Do you have abandonment issues, or just fear of abandonment issues? They are two different things. Have you been abandoned in the past? Has some you love been abandoned? Feel free to share whatever you may care to.  RM

RE: What are you afraid of? Sharing your phobia(s) will help others! - Justice1 - 01-18-2018

I'm fearfully of being trappedand humiliated,speaking in front of others is a close second and has the same feel,I'm trapped,they expect a,b,c from me,,I've been forced to do such leadership things and I can do it..if it's laid back and like everyone is sitting,but me going to front of room and standing doing it alone,,not projector or script to hide behind..if i do have those helpfull things and the audiencedoes engage it's not bad,can have a good dicussion...but on item one I trace it back to my father's favorite saying,What the he'll is wrong with you,and a group of boys who used to corner me and trap me,held me down and punched me over and over,I was so afraid and hid in restrooms or wherever to avoid them..They have since apologized to me and are friends on facebook.i did not reveal the serious impact it has had on my life and the way it has impacted all relationships.i did have a abusive boyfriend once and I ran away to another state,Cali. To Colo. With only a suitcase,only to find him in my home grabbed me and pulled my hair I fought,and screamed and he had a knife,and had driven all the way to other state....he also tried drowning me in front of a bunch of kids when I was about 18......not afraid of swimming,sometimes get panic in large natural water with wind and waves but Ocean, I can float to rythym and dive under waves....it's nice..anyway the screaming drew attention and a man broke I to the house and the ex bf was arrested and taken to jail,then extradited to Cali. For some other thing.....he left his car in front of my house for 6wks till city towering away..I think that's some of it

RE: What are you afraid of? Sharing your phobia(s) will help others! - Blockhead59 - 01-18-2018

Ok, Rafterman, lol, can't believe I'm sharing about this, but yolo, right? lol. I always "feared" that people could smell some type of bad smell from me. I'm really laughing as I'm writing this bc it's more amusing to me. Laughing is default. But, it is still palpable. Intellectually I know it's not real, but when my emotional/psychological mind wants to pick on me for something, it can go there. I have indeed moved away from people because I feel like I might smell bad, but I know it's all in my head, as they say.

I didn't know such a MH disorder existed until I was in a DMS course. I was shocked. I haven't been formally diagnosed. Just self-diagnosis.

I claimed it as mine to my little cohort of friends for our party. I lied and said no really I didn't have it, it was just the most ridiculous one I found. But, yeah, it was true. Don't know whether I felt better or not when there was an actual name attached to it. I've since told my little group and they still think I'm not mentally well--in a good way. lol.

And, no, thank god, it's not incapacitating; I have enough other issues to deal with. lol I just think it and recognize it's ridiculous (even if it's causing a bit of anxiety) and move on.

You must have been pretty good at what you did as a therapist, lol. Did you get to what triggered this person's thought processes? I still don't know. But, I try to stay as ignorantly un-self-aware as possible--jk

Thanks guys for sharing. Naomi, that's an interesting one. Never heard that one.

I feel safe here, so I'll share lol

You all have a good day! (Still laughing)

Hi Justice 1, Very sad to learn this type of bullying, harassment and interpersonal abuse has been part of your experience. Sounds like you're a survivor, though. I've heard of others who had high school bullies apologize to a bullying victim via FB. I have a friend who told me he actually made an apology to someone he used to pick on. The guy answered him and told him, that although, he forgave him, his cruel behavior did have an impact on his life.

I'm glad you are able to recognize how the abuse and bullying has affected you. And that it wasn't your fault. Sometimes it's hard to get past guilt, etc. But, thank you very much for sharing. I appreciate it and wish you only the best (with the magazine orders, too).

(01-18-2018, 04:28 PM)Justice1 Wrote: I'm fearfully of being trappedand humiliated,speaking in front of others is a close second and has the same feel,I'm trapped,they expect a,b,c from me,,I've been forced to do such leadership things and I can do it..if it's laid back and like everyone is sitting,but me going to front of room and standing doing  it alone,,not projector or script to hide behind..if i do have those helpfull things and the audiencedoes engage it's not bad,can have a good dicussion...but on item one I trace it back to my father's favorite saying,What the he'll is wrong with you,and a group of boys who used to corner me and trap me,held me down and punched me over and over,I was so afraid and hid in restrooms or wherever to avoid them..They have since apologized to me and are friends on facebook.i did not reveal the serious impact it has had on my life and the way it has impacted all relationships.i did have a abusive boyfriend once and I ran away to another state,Cali. To Colo. With only a suitcase,only to find him in my home grabbed me and pulled my hair I fought,and screamed and he had a knife,and had driven all the way to other state....he also tried drowning me in front of a bunch of kids when  I was about 18......not afraid of swimming,sometimes get panic in large natural water with wind and waves but Ocean, I can float to rythym and dive under waves....it's nice..anyway the screaming drew attention and a man broke I to the house and the ex bf was arrested  and taken to jail,then extradited to  Cali. For some other thing.....he left his car in front of my house for 6wks till city towering away..I think that's some of it
Justice1, I replied to you below. Sorry for any confusion.

RE: What are you afraid of? Sharing your phobia(s) will help others! - coffeedude22 - 01-19-2018

Hi my name is ____, And I'm afraid of everything. Honestly though, after breaking up with my girlfriend of four years, I think I have an unconcious fear of never getting married. It may be just a matter of ambivalence, but this just seems to pop up everywhere in my dreams.

RE: What are you afraid of? Sharing your phobia(s) will help others! - Naomi - 01-19-2018

(01-19-2018, 03:58 AM)coffeedude22 Wrote: Hi my name is ____, And I'm afraid of everything.  Honestly though, after breaking up with my girlfriend of four years, I think I have an unconcious fear of never getting married.  It may be just a matter of ambivalence, but this just seems to pop up everywhere in my dreams.

I'm so sorry to hear that. It seems fear of being alone, rejected, abandoned, unlovable, etc are very common. If you have access to therapy or groups I definitely recommend. You can learn skills to cope with your feelings and thoughts or even change how you think. I wish you the best!