Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vitamin D deficiency / articulation popping
Alright, they add Vitamin D in milk here because we're so much in the north that we can't get our vitamin D from the sun, at least we can only for 3-4 months (it also is obtained from sun exposure), not much food has vitamin D to start with. My doctor after blood tests said I had very low vitamin D, which could explain the sudden cavity-getting I've been suffering from since 2 years, although Suboxone pills are so acidic that they also play a role, but yeah, my articulations hurt, even my hips pop, I was able to pop them myself along with almost anything that can pop on the human body (including the TMJ, but no more am I doing that, but damn the pain felt good back then, I hear popping joints, any joint, even in the back, releases endorphins and if true, it explains chiros and how I find them to be complete quacks.

It feels good at the moment, a gentle numbness instead of pain, but that's what happens when you pop an articulation. So now when I go see my endocrinologist, I will have to be scripted those pills mostly women get to prevent osteoarthritis, especially since that and arthritis runs in my dad's side of the family, I got an aunt who was a banker and used every single trick she could to retire as early as possible, did so at 57, lucky her, her husband, my unrelated uncle is also retired since 4-5 years from the aluminum factory cleaning anodes and sleeping 75% of the shift... Anyway, my mom takes those 10 000mg Vitamin D pills to prevent osteoarthritis, and it looks like when I'll go see the endocrino, she'll have to script me something for high prolactin. Which is all fine and swell. But I was wondering, in the natural products area of the pharmacy, the ones that work, they don't sell homeopathic products, I asked the lady working that dept if the Vitamin D pills in there could work and bring it back to normal without yet (although they are incredibly cheap pills paid for by my insurance 80% of 2 weeks later), so something like 5 dollars for a month, but the 5.49 bottle of 1000mg pills x 200 is tempting me. I got another blood test to take, can I just take those, the way she told me is that yes I could, and that once it is brought back to normal, vitamin D tends to stick to its new levels naturally. Any truth to that?

Well, good night, I'll read your responses if any later, I'm so very tired Wink
(11-11-2016, 12:37 PM)FirePlaces Wrote: Hi COE.  An articulation is a joint?

I don't think our Vit D levels stay up once the have risen unless we continue to supplement.  My doc is a concierge doc and she berates and nags endlessly about vit D levels.  She has never mentioned that. She sells a line of vitamins to help her patients by charging only cost.  Think those are the Metagenics brand.  Not cheap.

I am currently working off a large bottle of D's, NatureMade.  Hope they are working.  

A couple of our members like Swanson vitamins, available online.

Hi Fire,

Yes, Swanson's is great and have a much better selection of all vitamins. I don't buy any of my vitamins from the pharmacy or grocery shelves anymore. To me, their products are watered down or synthetic junk that are not as good as natural vitamins.
It may cost a bit more, but like with anything else, you get what you pay for.

AND, as for getting vitamin D from milk, do you know how many other bad things are in our milk now? Lots.
I'd rather skip all of those growth hormones, antibiotics and GMO's that are fed to the cows. They just might cause you more problems than worrying about getting the vitamin D.

I luv milk, but drink very little of it. Being lactose intolerant it can be a problem, but I've been using Lactaid brand milk and LOVE it. I find it's taste to be so much better than other milk out there. Other milks seem to have no taste to me and watered down, but that's JMO.

Cricket
(11-13-2016, 01:43 PM)FirePlaces Wrote: I drink Lactaid milk too!  It does seem a tad sweeter to me.  Mostly I use it to make homemade lattes -  microwave a cup and toss in a shot of expresso.  Good stuff.  

I also agree about having to be careful about milk these days.  I started only buying organic milk for DD as I wanted her to get lots of calcium for growing bones, but not all that other stuff you mentioned.   Expensive I know but again, some things are worth it.  

Need to check out those Swanson's vitamins.

Good morning Fire

I luv that little hint of sweetness in Lactaid too. It's almost like drinkin' cream. At least it has flavor where I find other milk tasteless.

Have a good day Fire.

Cricket
Vitamin D deficiencies is the most common of them all. It will mimic symptoms from a wide array of ailments. Next time you get a blood panel done and you get told your low on the normal amount. Ask your doctor about what booster your should take to get you back up to par. You will find yourself feeling a lot better in just a week or two.
"Love your life and love others around you"
I supplement with 10,000 iu's of vitamin d3 per day. I try to get at least 10-15 minutes direct sun exposure per day as well (when the sun is out). The truth is supplementing with a fat soluble vitamin D is that it takes months for the levels of vit D in your blood to increase. I forget what the normal level is but remember the golden number is 80 ng/dL and higher.

Many docs will say that is way too much vitamin D but when I was still doing research in graduate school I read numerous articles about once patients entered that range above 80 and below 100, all of the purported benefits truly started coming to fruition. I don't remember all of them off the top of my head but would be willing to back through my research paper USB sticks to find them if someone is truly interested. The most important for me was improved mood and I stopped getting sick-like haven't been sick since 1 flu in high school over 15 years ago.

The one thing people have to worry about is actually overdoing vitamin D because it is fat soluble so everybody's body will 'store' it differently. I am very lean, so doses of 10,000 iu per day is absolutely fine and I have blood tests done every 6 months, my levels range from 50-80 ng/dL. I actually switched my GP (who I rarely see anyways) because a few of them thought I was insane for taking that much vitamin D everyday and was uneducated and following some voodoo internet recipe. The only thing one really needs to worry about when supplementing with vit D is their levels of what is called C-reactive proteins.

This C-reactive protein (CRP) is aprotein that increases in response to general inflammation as well as too much vitamin D in the human body. So generally speaking, a doc can only confidently say an individual is taking TOO MUCH vitamin D if their CRP levels are done in the same test AND are above the normal limit. Though most docs don't ask for this test to be done when you get a blood test checking vit D (though I have no idea why, they have a strong correlation), YOU, the patient, HAVE TO TELL your doctor to include that in your test as well. I know some very in-shape people who supplement with 20,000 iu's daily and their CRP levels are normal so they're clear to continue supplementing at those levels. Many are also Caucasian too. I know different races or people with differing levels of melanin react to vit D3 supplements very differently.

My mother listened to her quack general practitioner who told her once she found out she was taking 10,000 iu's daily " HOLY COW! STOP NOW, YOU COULD GET VIT D POISONING!!!" Of course she's going to listen to her MD even though I have my doctorate in chemistry and am rather knowledgeable. Well she went down to 2,000 iu per day and had her blood test 4 months later. Her vit. D levels were about 22 ng/dL, lower than what they were initially. I was nice and didn't say, told ya so. The doc also didn't know about the C-reactive protein test.....oh boy.