Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best supplment for good skin?
I must echo what several of members have posted here, particularly the advice to drink more water and avoiding any topicals containing alcohol. The "eight glasses per day" rule went out the window long ago. That would only amount to 64 ounces. The latest recommendation's call for 125 total ounces per day (from food and water combined). That would mean around 100 ounce of water by mouth, and 25 ounces from the typical diet. Following this has helped me with both my skin, and my propensity to form kidney stones.
Collagen is a big one. I'm Asian, and one of the reasons why Asian people tend to age better than white people is because Asian skin has more collagen.
(11-30-2017, 12:47 PM)Aquarius Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 09:12 PM)yellowdog Wrote: I know there are supplments esp for the skin, but are there supplments high in EFA that will help improve the skin without costing $40 plus.

I try and eat salmon and nuts  often and I have seen an improvement.

I see plenty of omega fish oil, but I want something that can make my SKIN look better.

any ideas?
Also make sure the skin/face products you buy are as organic as can be, I switched over being skeptical and my skin is literally the softest I've ever felt and my face is always bright and smooth. I always liked using rose/citrus products on my face and goat milk soap and almond oil for moisturizing the body

My favorite oil for skin is jojoba oil. Supposedly it's very similar to the oil that our skin naturally produces.
(12-02-2017, 01:32 PM)invisiblejungle Wrote:
(11-30-2017, 12:47 PM)Aquarius Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 09:12 PM)yellowdog Wrote: I know there are supplments esp for the skin, but are there supplments high in EFA that will help improve the skin without costing $40 plus.

I see plenty of omega fish oil, but I want something that can make my SKIN look better.

any ideas?
Also make sure the skin/face products you buy are as organic as can be, I switched over being skeptical and my skin is literally the softest I've ever felt and my face is always bright and smooth. I always liked using rose/citrus products on my face and goat milk soap and almond oil for moisturizing the body

My favorite oil for skin is jojoba oil. Supposedly it's very similar to the oil that our skin naturally produces.
My wife goes crazy over that jojoba stuff, I-J. It is one of the few things that doesn't cause her to have a skin reaction and appears to work wonderfully. It must be at least a decade, or so, that she has used it religiously. Hard to believe that it is from a shrub. Far superior to some of the expensive formula's that she used to shell out for at the mall.
I don't use a skin supplement myself (although I'm quasi-religious about my daily COQ-10, Maximum strength Krill Oil, Vitamin D, and Resveratrol supplements) - But my much-missed wife swore by Biotin, it seemed to keep her skin supple and reduce the appearance of "parchment hands" that comes with age, as well as cause her hair and nails to grow more quickly.  It is a fairly inexpensive supplement that can be found at any grocery.
A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

-- Saint Basil

I am with the water recommendations.....drinking lots of plain water, simple clear clean water is the most kind and healthful thing you can do for your skin.

Alba Botanica body lotion is delightfully free of all petroleum products....stay away from any lotion containing petroleum derivatives...they feel good when applied but dry out the skin and are detrimental to healthy skin.
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata
Argan oil can be expensive but I brought a bottle of it for fifty dollars that has lasted me over two years.  It really has taken away from the crows feet from under my eyes.  And that alongside water and trying not to overdo at the beach usually works pretty well.  I had way too many sunburns as a kid, practically lived at the beach.
I, like many others mentioned, am with the water drinkers. I try to drink as much as I can everyday. I use Vit C as a supplement for collagen building, and I put citrus lotion on my face and neck and chest. Also, paraben-free sunscreen helps. Biotin I use for my hair and nails. I've heard that coconut oil if terrific for skin, but I can't stand the smell.

any ideas?

Not a supplement, but a good skin care routine has done the most for my skin. I used to take biotin and I noticed it helped my nails, but not much else. I started using Hyaluronic acid serum and Vitamin c serum in addition to my current skin care routine and they have definitely helped with hydration and plumpness.
(01-09-2018, 11:04 PM)maldita Wrote: I am interested in this topic so please keep posting. I'm turning 40 and have not been really into any skin regime. I have started using moisturiser with SPF since moving to the UK because winter makes me flaky. I've also started using vaseline lip balm. I drink a lot of water (I have an 8 litre Brita water dispenser in my office and at home. My meds make me sooooo thirsty.). As I'm new to skin care, I'd love to know how you take care of yours. I've not been very good with mine because I had bad acne growing up and this was cleared by roaccutane but with all the scars, I did not see any point in being fussy about it. I'm just glad the acne is gone. But now I am getting old, I am becoming more conscious and don't want to look like a hag when I turn 40.

What helped me really get into skin care was going on YouTube and search skin care for dry skin (insert whatever skin type you have) and went down the rabbit hole. I got a lot of ideas, researched reviews on products and now I have a pretty set routine. If you're looking to get into skin care without investing a lot, The Ordinary is a good brand to start off with to see if a skin care routine is something you end up liking. They sell some of it at Sephora and the full line at Beautylish or Deciem.