Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Etifoxine for anxiety (alternative to benzos)
Hey guys, 

Has anyone heard of/tried Etifoxine before? It's a Russian pharmaceutical used to treat anxiety. In studies it seems to act similar to a benzo on the GABA system, enacting a sense of calm anxiolysis without any of the memory impairment or cognitive dulling usually included with benzo use.

It sounds like a really interesting alternative to anyone needing the effects of benzos without feeling like your brain has been turned into mush. There's even a study that shows rats seem to prefer it to Di@z! It doesn't seem to have many experience reports available, which is probably because it's primarily a med used in Russia. Not prescribed anywhere in the West.

I've ordered some and it should be here in 2/3 weeks depending on the shipping times. Probably a bit longer cuz, y'know, Christmas Big Grin I'll come back here and post how effective/ineffective it is once it arrives in the post.
(11-27-2017, 03:28 PM)Glousck Wrote: Hey guys, 

Has anyone heard of/tried Etifoxine before? It's a Russian pharmaceutical used to treat anxiety. In studies it seems to act similar to a benzo on the GABA system, enacting a sense of calm anxiolysis without any of the memory impairment or cognitive dulling usually included with benzo use.

It sounds like a really interesting alternative to anyone needing the effects of benzos without feeling like your brain has been turned into mush. There's even a study that shows rats seem to prefer it to Di@z! It doesn't seem to have many experience reports available, which is probably because it's primarily a med used in Russia. Not prescribed anywhere in the West.

I've ordered some and it should be here in 2/3 weeks depending on the shipping times. Probably a bit longer cuz, y'know, Christmas Big Grin I'll come back here and post how effective/ineffective it is once it arrives in the post.

Hey Glousck,
I remember when it was all the rage in Russia, France and, I believe, in Argentina. May still be. I haven't read much on it in a while. I remember that it was once thought that it would compete in the US benzo market, even though technically not a benzo. Could be why it was never approved for use here. You know how the FDA often protects the big profit meds by cutting any potential competition off at the knees. I do know that it is often talked about more as a potentiator for benzo's, than a standalone anxiolytic. I am guessing that it may be of use as both. I am wondering how powerful it can be if it is not listed as controlled substance in any country. I find that odd. You would think that any med that worked as they say it does, has no potential for habituation, and was not controlled, would soon be known as the aspirin of the 21st century. Word tends to get around when something is at that level. But it is still possible that it slipped below the radar. Would be interested to know how things turn out.  RM
(11-28-2017, 10:34 AM)Rafterman Wrote:

Hey Glousck,
I remember when it was all the rage in Russia, France and, I believe, in Argentina. May still be. I haven't read much on it in a while. I remember that it was once thought that it would compete in the US benzo market, even though technically not a benzo. Could be why it was never approved for use here. You know how the FDA often protects the big profit meds by cutting any potential competition off at the knees. I do know that it is often talked about more as a potentiator for benzo's, than a standalone anxiolytic. I am guessing that it may be of use as both. I am wondering how powerful it can be if it is not listed as controlled substance in any country. I find that odd. You would think that any med that worked as they say it does, has no potential for habituation, and was not controlled, would soon be known as the aspirin of the 21st century. Word tends to get around when something is at that level. But it is still possible that it slipped below the radar. Would be interested to know how things turn out.  RM

Those are some really interesting points you've made, I wasn't even aware it had been used in France and Argentina as well! I have my own opinions as to why it may still be relatively unknown although for the most part it's purely speculation. Firstly, there seems to be a tendency from the West to be incredibly resistant to the potential success of any non-Western drug treatments in general, regardless of if they originated in Russia or not. Chinese herbal medicines have been around for hundreds of years and present an excellent safety profile in general yet they've never been taken under the wing of Western psychiatric care, merely sold in stores as homeopathic medicine. That's just one example but my point is a lot of the branded medicine available from your doctor for neurological treatments have origins with the Western chemist's who designed them, all the way through to their development phases and finally once prescribed. Everything stays local. Take more well-known Russian pharmaceuticals such as Semax, Cerebrolysin, Bromantane, Phenibut the list goes on...all of these have multiple studies which attest to the various and wide-ranging benefits these drug can offer. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy of any sort, but perhaps Big Pharma will take years or even decades before they're prepared to go outside the status quo and take a chance on non-Western medicine.

Secondly - and this point may lead you to believe I am wearing a very stylish tin foil hat on my head but after researching I honestly believe this to be true - I think the biggest issue presented in a reluctance for more countries to take on new medications is because of Big Pharma. I really do. The money they make from meds like antidepressants every year is in the billions, and it is utterly insane. Doctors have been told by management to push these drugs on people without an understanding of their mechanism of action or their numerous side effects. A year back my stepmother went to the Doctors with a migraine and was given an SSRI! With this information that meds like antidepressants and benzos are a consistent profit churned for Big Pharma every single year, perhaps we should consider what kind of effect introducing new neurological drugs to the market for depression, anxiety etc would have on these existing pharmaceutical giants. Easy: it cuts into their profits. Suddenly Average Joe has found a new med with greater efficiency, less side effects and less cost to treat his mental health with. Suddenly less and less people stop handing their hard-earned wages over to Big Pharma. Profit margins go down and their pockets stop getting fatter. If we look at the many benefits of CBD oil and cannabis, it seems somewhat strange that when something has been proven to help people, there is still huge resistance for Big Pharma to prescribe it. Again, cannabis and CBD oil have been effective in treating a host of mental and physical health issues including depression...yet SSRI/SNRIs are still a first-line treatment for depression by most doctors. 

I understand the truth is immensely more comple
x than just "IT'S A CONSPIRACY!" but I really do think those two points play a part - who knows how big or small - as to why you rarely ever hear of these kind of drugs being prescribed over here.
I han't heard of this till i read your post Glousk I wonder if it works in anyway like the Russian developed nootropic Phenibut which has amazing anti anxiety properties without drowsiness at different doses, they have developed a lot of useful drugs and some not so especially during the space race to help the cosmonauts.
I would be extremely interested in this one but a non habit forming safe anti-anxiety pill would kill off big pharmas preferred addictive multi million dollar benzo trade not a conspiracy just a fact.
I would love something as an alternative to benzos for withdrawal safe use etc...

(11-29-2017, 03:00 PM)blandy Wrote: I han't heard of this till i read your post Glousk I wonder if it works in anyway like the Russian developed nootropic Phenibut which has amazing anti anxiety properties without drowsiness at different doses, they have developed a lot of useful drugs and some not so especially during the space race to help the cosmonauts.
I would be extremely interested in this one but a non habit forming safe anti-anxiety pill would kill off big pharmas preferred addictive multi million dollar benzo trade not a conspiracy just a fact.
I would love something as an alternative to benzos for withdrawal safe use etc...
(11-28-2017, 03:41 PM)Glousck Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 10:34 AM)Rafterman Wrote:

Hey Glousck,

Those are some really interesting points you've made, I wasn't even aware it had been used in France and Argentina as well! I have my own opinions as to why it may still be relatively unknown although for the most part it's purely speculation. Firstly, there seems to be a tendency from the West to be incredibly resistant to the potential success of any non-Western drug treatments in general, regardless of if they originated in Russia or not. Chinese herbal medicines have been around for hundreds of years and present an excellent safety profile in general yet they've never been taken under the wing of Western psychiatric care, merely sold in stores as homeopathic medicine. That's just one example but my point is a lot of the branded medicine available from your doctor for neurological treatments have origins with the Western chemist's who designed them, all the way through to their development phases and finally once prescribed. Everything stays local. Take more well-known Russian pharmaceuticals such as Semax, Cerebrolysin, Bromantane, Phenibut the list goes on...all of these have multiple studies which attest to the various and wide-ranging benefits these drug can offer. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy of any sort, but perhaps Big Pharma will take years or even decades before they're prepared to go outside the status quo and take a chance on non-Western medicine.

Secondly - and this point may lead you to believe I am wearing a very stylish tin foil hat on my head but after researching I honestly believe this to be true - I think the biggest issue presented in a reluctance for more countries to take on new medications is because of Big Pharma. I really do. The money they make from meds like antidepressants every year is in the billions, and it is utterly insane. Doctors have been told by management to push these drugs on people without an understanding of their mechanism of action or their numerous side effects. A year back my stepmother went to the Doctors with a migraine and was given an SSRI! With this information that meds like antidepressants and benzos are a consistent profit churned for Big Pharma every single year, perhaps we should consider what kind of effect introducing new neurological drugs to the market for depression, anxiety etc would have on these existing pharmaceutical giants. Easy: it cuts into their profits. Suddenly Average Joe has found a new med with greater efficiency, less side effects and less cost to treat his mental health with. Suddenly less and less people stop handing their hard-earned wages over to Big Pharma. Profit margins go down and their pockets stop getting fatter. If we look at the many benefits of CBD oil and cannabis, it seems somewhat strange that when something has been proven to help people, there is still huge resistance for Big Pharma to prescribe it. Again, cannabis and CBD oil have been effective in treating a host of mental and physical health issues including depression...yet SSRI/SNRIs are still a first-line treatment for depression by most doctors. 

I understand the truth is immensely more comple
x than just "IT'S A CONSPIRACY!" but I really do think those two points play a part - who knows how big or small - as to why you rarely ever hear of these kind of drugs being prescribed over here.

Tin foil hat...lol.  Far from it! Wow. I think that you absolutely nailed it on each of the theories that you presented. Very interesting stuff. I think very much along the same lines and am sometimes looked upon as a conspiracy theorist (I don't mean on the forum. Everyone I have interacted with here is open-minded and way ahead of the curve). What you said makes so much sense that I do not see how any intellectually honest person can read it and not begin doing their research and give things a hard second look. I love discussing the FDA, DEA, Big Pharma, and their role in anything to do with the approval and distribution of medication. Does your knowledge of such things come from an inquisitive nature and the ability to put 2 and 2 together? Or is it something more? Just curious, and looking forward to reading anything else that you have to say in future posts. Regards, RM
From Etifoxine's Wikipedia page:

Etifoxine (INN,[2] also known as etafenoxine; trade name Stresam) is an anxiolytic and anticonvulsant drug[3][4] developed by Hoechst in the 1960s.[2] It is sold in approximately 40 countries for anxiety disorders, without the sedation and ataxia associated with benzodiazepine drugs.[5] It has similar anxiolytic effects to benzodiazepine drugs, but is structurally distinct and does not bind to the benzodiazepine receptor.[6] It is as effective as lorazepam as an anxiolytic, but has fewer side effects.[7] Etifoxine is not a scheduled drug in any country in which it is sold and does not cause dependence or tolerance. Etifoxine is not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration or the European Medicines Agency.

Etifoxine seems to have been mischaracterized in the 1960-70's as a mild or partial benzodiazepine, because of its lack of typical benzodiazepine side effects, like sedation and ataxia. Thus, it was deemed to be noncompetitive with benzodiazepine drugs of the time, like Valium, and not introduced into world markets. Not until the 2000s was it discovered that etifoxine worked through completely different mechanisms, i.e.. GABA(A) beta subtype selectivity and neurosteroid biosynthesis (purported to work through TSPO). Realization of the MOA has led to its investigation in a number of preclinical studies as an analgesic, anti-inflammatory and neuroprotectant. Recent publications have chronicled its efficacy as a microglia modulator in models of MS and ICH.

The most common adverse effect is mild drowsiness at initial dosing. It is not associated with any withdrawal syndromes or dependence, and is not scheduled in France. In conclusion, etifoxine shows less adverse effects of anterograde amnesia, sedation, impaired psychomotor performance, and withdrawal syndromes than those of benzodiazepines Etifoxine for Pain Patients with Anxiety[8] A recent (2012) review of etifoxine by the French National Pharmacovigilance Committee determined that etifoxine was safe and continued to provide a favorable alternative to benzodiazepine anxiolytics. Contrary to comments in non-refereed on line journals, the committee found (for a ten-year pharmacovigilance period) that safety concerns were rare or very rare and that the incidence of idiosyncratic hepatic problems were very rare (less than drugs like Lipitor).
I tried etifoxine a few years ago. It didn't do much for me, and I threw out the box before even finishing it. But I take benzos for physical symptoms, not mental/emotional, so your experience may be better than mine.
Glousack dont mention iops addresses, as these things go theres about 1000 diff generic stuff online that claims to help with anxiety/sleep mood.
since you say your 6 weeks off but never mentioned what you took before or how long.

Since as mentioned before theres no silver bullet when it comes to bnzos, specially getting of them.Id imagine many try to find that secret formula that will help them overcome their issues, but at the end the brand names are really that work rest is either placebo or mild cases that could be managed with otc stuff.

as with benzs long term (gaba a )gets fried and thats the main issue that causes wds,since brain take months to years to repair them, that what sets them apart from many other drugs as its not a week sweating off and your system is flushed, but constant neuron firing at slightest triggers, similar to person suffering with SA prior to taking anything and just being constantly on edge that makes anxiety smth that takes year or decades to overcome by itself,and even to this day theres no practice or method that guarnatees results to fixing anxiety issues since its so complex.
Im always up to seeing or reading what others find but this seems not much more then say some otc calm relief.

RM made good point not about undercutting but if it was silver bullet it would blow out like aspirin, no side effects/impairement and natural relief youd be sitting on a mountain of cash.
I wasn't implying that this particular substance is a silver bullet or a magic fix and I apologise if it came across that way. I created this thread with the intention to share information on a compound that could provide anxiolytic relief for fellow board members. I'd found minimal discussion of Etif online outside of research studies which led me to believe a discussion of the med on this forum could hopefully help some people. Nowhere in my posts on this thread have I claimed that it will instantly cure all anxiety and that your life will be perfect after taking it, I've reviewed the research available on this med and consolidated the main pieces of info here. There's studies that have shown it can be as effective as a benzo without the side effects of amnesia and unwanted sedation which can be inappropriate if one were to test it out at work for example.

I didn't set out to cause any confusion or exaggerate claims of its effectiveness, so if I came across to be conducting my words which suggested so, I apologise. I still stand by my personal experience that it has a lot of promise as an anxiolytic and I am rather disappointed my post was deleted because I truly believe it has the potential to help those tragically dependant on benzos switch to a safer alternative. Don't get me wrong, for some people it might have no effects whatsoever. We're all unique in our neurochemistry - I can't stand pineapple on pizza but my boyfriend loves it. I'll just finish by saying - and this is my opinion, I am not a doctor so take my words or leave them - if this stuff was prescribed regularly for anxiety in USA and/or Europe we'd have a hell of a lot less folk stuck on benzos.

And yes I'm very well acquainted with BZD withdrawals and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. I have been on and off them for 3 years give or take and Etif has been a lifesaver. You can call it OTC nonsense all you want but they've helped me on days when my anxiety has been terrible. I can wake up without a panic attack every morning now. I've started going to the gym again because I don't feel any anxiety being around lots of people. I've stopped isolating myself from my friends and family and have been able to enjoy the company of good people without a constant sense of dread in my stomach. I've started applying for jobs now that I feel that I'm functioning in my life to an acceptable standard. I am an incredibly introverted and anxious person with social phobia, so for me to be doing all these things and trying to get my life back from BZD addiction since I've started Etif is pretty amazing to me. Is m life perfect? No! Am I completely anxiety free all the time? Absolutely not. Bu am I managing my levels of anxiety in a way that allows me to live my life in a more productive way than I have in years? Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. That's why I'm writing this post now, because I know how unbelievably AWFUL benzo addiction is so if someone reading this is suffering from an anxiety disorder and it ends up helping them, then spreading this information is all worth it. We are a community and as a community we need to help each other, share ideas and support fellow members in any way we can.

You're allowed to call it a placebo or a mild OTC supplement but there's a reason it's prescribed for anxiety in over 40 different countries. When you doubt the efficacy of this it makes me wonder if you read the text I copied from Wiki where it's been shown to have very minimal side effects such as mild sedation compared to the endless side effects associated with prolonged benzo use. The Wiki page also shows in studies it was proven to be as effective as Lor@zepam. I've already made a second order and am likely to make many more in the future, knowing the cost/benefit analysis of Etif. It might not work for everyone, but as someone who's quality of life has improved since discovering the stuff I felt I had an obligation to share my findings with you all.

With all this being said, I appreciate everyone's input and accept that everyone here is entitled to their own views. Whilst I may disagree that we shouldn't instan dismiss Etif, I respect that everyone is different and in life people have different opinions. It's important to have discussions like this to get a view from both sides of the coin and I look forward to hearing what anyone else has to add.