Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gym/Working Out
Every doctor I've seen and every article I've read recommends going to the gym/working out to help with depression. I understand that the physical activity will release endorphins which should help with mood. I also understand that people can get a natural high from the sense of accomplishment. I've tried going to the gym so many times and I just don't get anything from it. If anything, I'm more annoyed and just waiting until I can go home and watch tv. Does anyone else experience this?
(01-13-2018, 01:44 PM)Audrey Hepburn Wrote: Lol, I definitely understand that Naomi. Especially at the beginning of the year when you have "well intentioned" people who decided to start working out as a New Year's resolution and the gym is way too crowded.  And I also love my tv.   In my experience, if I can just force myself to do it and stay with it, I can usually work through the feelings of not wanting to be there.  After a few weeks I see some small positive results that make me want to keep doing it for a while.

Thank you for the response. I've tried different gyms, going at different times of day, working out with someone, different programs and nothing seems to stick.
(01-14-2018, 09:28 PM)maldita Wrote:
(01-13-2018, 06:13 AM)Naomi Wrote: Every doctor I've seen and every article I've read recommends going to the gym/working out to help with depression. I understand that the physical activity will release endorphins which should help with mood. I also understand that people can get a natural high from the sense of accomplishment. I've tried going to the gym so many times and I just don't get anything from it. If anything, I'm more annoyed and just waiting until I can go home and watch tv. Does anyone else experience this?

This is the consensus in the scientific world. It does not mean it will work for you. There will always be outliers. When I was able to do a lot of physical activity, I will run (and I do get a runners high), do mountaineering activities. I never got a chance to go to the gym as they always ask me for a doctor's note and none of them will sign. As my physical problems worsen, I had to change to other activities, such as cycling (which took me two years to learn!) and is gentler on the joints. The Gym might not be for you but I do hope you find the activities you enjoy that would help with the depression.

TY Maldita. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I have found cycling easier on my knees, I can't run for very long. I've been looking into at home working programs on YouTube. I'm thinking maybe taking away the pressure of going to the gym and feeling like everyone is looking at me might help.
(01-14-2018, 11:07 PM)TheBeast Wrote: Oh, this is a common feeling. Hard to overcome. Good luck.

Thank you for your support!
Watching Netflix while I workout definitely helps. I used to listen to music, but that wasn't enough of a distraction. I'd love to have some equipment in my home, that's the dream.
Hi Naomi,

I feel the same way about gym, but I found an exercise class called Essentrics. It's small groups of men and women of all ages doing a standing "workout" and then some on a mat. It's to help joints, mobility, strength and balance. There are short YouTube videos of workouts for shoulders or knees or all over body that you can do at home. Some are about 10 minutes.

A lot of runners in their 30s and 40s come bc their knees hurt, and they are finding real help.

Why I mention is bc I met this woman, who is somewhat bent over. She said she could barely walk and was in a lot of pain when she started coming. Now she can move, slow and bent but she raves about Essentrics. She still says things like, "I'm saving a bend over, so could you pick that up for me?" lol But she is so much better.

It's so hard to motivate to get out of the house, maybe it's something you might to look into. I hope you feel better!

http://www.essentrics.com/
http://www.essentrics.com/Beginners.html
ha1 I can't agree more!  I know it is not common to work out and go "hm, yea, I really wish I didn't exercise" lol.  I usually do regret not going (especially when times flies and it is like a year of not working out).  The challenge for me is usually getting into a routine of it and don't something YOU like.  I used to be in a pretty good work out mode.  I really don't like going to an actual gym environment and doing any weight lifting or weight baring activities... but I figured out I really enjoyed running.  It did help to boost my mood and it was probably the best I felt in my life.  I would run every evening through my neighborhood and it cleared my head, felt good, and my dog lost some good weight too when he'd run with me.  I wish I was in that habit now, but it is so hard getting back into it.

I think it is two weeks of something to create a habit??  Anyways, making it become routine is the hardest part, so just getting through that is the big hurdle.. and of course finding something that you personally enjoy.

Now I feel inspired!  haha.  Thanks! Shy
"You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” - Dr. MLK Jr.
Hi Naomi,
Do you hate taking classes at the gym? Or just the gym itself? I find that when I go to a class, (I don't do the other--just use equipment or treadmill, I mean), it takes me about 3 months to get into the routine and feel comfortable. I like it--eventually--bc you make contact with others, but it is limited and typically focused on how hard or easy the class was. Some people make friends and do things together, but I just like to go to the classes, limited involvement.

I also have a mantra when I'm starting back and feel awful and hate it. I just keep repeating to myself in the class, "You're getting stronger every day." Hope your day goes well!
Thanks for your story Blockhead59. Hearing everyone's different experiences is really nice. I've never taken classes at a gym, I just use the machines. I don't like to interact with people when I'm there, I make sure to not even make eye contact. Classes are usually scheduled while I'm at work or asleep. I've always thought they should have late night classes especially at the 24 hour gyms, for people not on the 9-5 type of life.
Spin classes are really fun because its so loud you dont have to talk to anyone and no one is watching so you can really let go and just ride in the dark. But you get that sense of community bc you are in a class with 50 other people.