Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passion is the biggest enemy of depression
Oh, the glory of holding a baby and singing joanie bartel bedtime songs to a two year old. How blessed you are.

And to love your wife as though you are one is how it was meant to be.

I am glad u can see all the good thru the day to day nonsense. Cuz, sometimes, it all ends suddenly. And one's life changes dramatically. And, one learns what is their new passion.

Have a glorious nite and hug that baby for me.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Hello Charon,
Thank you very much for the post. While I have seen other revealing posts about you I had no idea that you made the attempt, and I am so happy that you are still here. Let's keep doing this together, suffering and struggling, but always making it through.
It really is helpful in these trying times, even to just know that simply thinking is at least doing something.
Tomorrow maybe I will go to a park and walk, just to continue taking those tiny steps.
That would be a tremendous step. Maybe a puppy will run and u can catch him and talk to the owner. But, walking does make one feel better. In all ways.

Personally, I am a thinker. I was raised to be that way I reckon. Many watch silly tv shows to avoid thinking. But, its imperative to think and put in proper perspective all u experience. How u plan to deal with it. How to find your inner peace no matter what goes on around you.

We have many whom read here and never sign up or post. So, u may be helping a few with this post already.

Good attitude. Baby steps.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

(02-01-2018, 10:14 PM)Charon Wrote: That would be a tremendous step.  Maybe a puppy will run and u can catch him and talk to the owner.  But, walking does make one feel better.  In all ways.

Personally, I am a thinker.  I was raised to be that way I reckon.  Many watch silly tv shows to avoid thinking.  But, its imperative to think and put in proper perspective all u experience.  How u plan to deal with it.  How to find your inner peace no matter what goes on around you.

We have many whom read here and never sign up or post.  So, u may be helping a few with this post already.

Good attitude.  Baby steps.
Wow, Charon, I think that your posts to G-man are simply out of this world. Just incredible. Every single word of them is invaluable, IMO. I have read hundreds of your posts and you are always so completely selfless, taking the time to give precisely the right advice, revealing things about yourself that help drive home the advice, etc. You continue to be such an inspiration to me. It was worth joining this forum just to know you! --- G-man, it is so true that depression will make you lose passion for the things of life. When people enter into a chemical depression, they are usually perplexed as to why they no longer enjoy doing the things that they used to enjoy doing. They struggle to find "more exciting" things, not realizing that the things that they are already doing are exciting enough. They fail to see that their problem is biochemical, which leads to a failure to be able to enjoy any activity. Like Charon says, taking baby steps is the way back. People usually turn to AD's to improve their biochemical mix, sharpen the receptors that receive their "feel good" biochemicals and also delay their reuptake. I think that is a good thing, especially with gene testing for AD's now coming on strong. But the biochemical mix can be positively replenished one little enjoyable event at a time. Please try to make us of the advice that Charon has given. It should be in a text book. Please keep in close contact with this community. I believe that we have a kind of group therapy going on and it is so helpful to each of us. There is comfort in knowing that you are far from being alone, that others have overcome things such as these, and that we all care how you are doing.  God bless.   RM
Well this thread title really is the truest thing I've heard in a long time. When I get stuck in a depressive rut I can barely muster up the energy to get out of bed, get dressed and it'd be very unlikely I would want to leave the house. So when I struggle to commit to those basic things of course any passions or hobbies zI have will always take a backseat. When we go through these stages it is so important to be kind to ourselves to get ourselves back on an emotional level playing field. Tell yourself well done just for getting out of bed, smile at your strength when you're able to get in the shower or get ready for the day and continue giving yourself positive reinforcement for every task you achieve, no matter how big or small it is.

I used to be so passionate about theatre and have been meaning to sign up for a 6 week Drama club for ages now but I keep on putting it off because when depression strikes, you're right OP any passion you have just disappears. Likewise there's a mental health support group that's only a short walk from me which promises to offer people who turn up volunteer opportunities with them - and it's the same story, I know I would get so much out of making positive choices but there's this seemingly impossible mental block of a wall that I'm not always emotionally big enough to jump over. I will keep this post here and bookmark it so hopefully when the time comes I can eventually take back control and sign up for the drama classes and volunteering.

It's refreshing to chat to people here and read posts from members who realise that depression isn't just 'being a bit sad' or that I 'need to get some fresh air and cheer up a bit'. Honestly I've heard more good advice and common sense with regards to mental health on this board than I have from various out of touch GPs and Psychiatrists. Many years ago when I was 17 and lost all interest in life because of feelings of suicidal ideation I even had one Psychiatrist say to me "I don't understand what you're depressed about, you're pretty enough, I'm sure loads of boys like you" - and this was a stamens from someone who was suppose to be a well-respected and qualified health PROFESSIONAL!

With such a widespread prevalence of mental health issues impacting our societies to such an extent one could call it a crisis, perhaps it's time for Medical/Nursing/etc degrees to be reformed to incorporate applied and modern knowledge about mental health into the content of what they learn. I know it's easy to blame the Doctors sometimes but maybe the real blame lies with the education system they're provided with, It seems outrageous that someone can come out with a highly-respected medical degree and yet have been taught next to nothing on how to treat mental health. 1 in 4 people will suffer with a mental health illness at some point in their life or another, yet it seems like the people who are supposed to be helping us are the ones trying to sweep the issue under the rug. Out of sight, out of mind.

Could you imagine if a GP told someone with a broken leg to just 'give it a few weeks and see if you feel better' the way that my GP told me about my depression? But no, because mental health isn't a visible pain for others to see, it's so much easier for them to pretend it's not even there in the first place.

Love the NHS, it's a fantastic service and the UK would be a scary place to live in without it but my god, when it comes to mental health they seriously haven't got a clue.
(02-02-2018, 02:30 PM)Glousck Wrote: Well this thread title really is the truest thing I've heard in a long time. When I get stuck in a depressive rut I can barely muster up the energy to get out of bed, get dressed and it'd be very unlikely I would want to leave the house. So when I struggle to commit to those basic things of course any passions or hobbies zI have will always take a backseat. When we go through these stages it is so important to be kind to ourselves to get ourselves back on an emotional level playing field. Tell yourself well done just for getting out of bed, smile at your strength when you're able to get in the shower or get ready for the day and continue giving yourself positive reinforcement for every task you achieve, no matter how big or small it is.

I used to be so passionate about theatre and have been meaning to sign up for a 6 week Drama club for ages now but I keep on putting it off because when depression strikes, you're right OP any passion you have just disappears. Likewise there's a mental health support group that's only a short walk from me which promises to offer people who turn up volunteer opportunities with them - and it's the same story, I know I would get so much out of making positive choices but there's this seemingly impossible mental block of a wall that I'm not always emotionally big enough to jump over. I will keep this post here and bookmark it so hopefully when the time comes I can eventually take back control and sign up for the drama classes and volunteering.

It's refreshing to chat to people here and read posts from members who realise that depression isn't just 'being a bit sad' or that I 'need to get some fresh air and cheer up a bit'. Honestly I've heard more good advice and common sense with regards to mental health on this board than I have from various out of touch GPs and Psychiatrists. Many years ago when I was 17 and lost all interest in life because of feelings of suicidal ideation I even had one Psychiatrist say to me "I don't understand what you're depressed about, you're pretty enough, I'm sure loads of boys like you" - and this was a stamens from someone who was suppose to be a well-respected and qualified health PROFESSIONAL!

With such a widespread prevalence of mental health issues impacting our societies to such an extent one could call it a crisis, perhaps it's time for Medical/Nursing/etc degrees to be reformed to incorporate applied and modern knowledge about mental health into the content of what they learn. I know it's easy to blame the Doctors sometimes but maybe the real blame lies with the education system they're provided with, It seems outrageous that someone can come out with a highly-respected medical degree and yet have been taught next to nothing on how to treat mental health. 1 in 4 people will suffer with a mental health illness at some point in their life or another, yet it seems like the people who are supposed to be helping us are the ones trying to sweep the issue under the rug. Out of sight, out of mind.

Could you imagine if a GP told someone with a broken leg to just 'give it a few weeks and see if you feel better' the way that my GP told me about my depression? But no, because mental health isn't a visible pain for others to see, it's so much easier for them to pretend it's not even there in the first place.

Love the NHS, it's a fantastic service and the UK would be a scary place to live in without it but my god, when it comes to mental health they seriously haven't got a clue.

Always nice to see you, Glousck. I strenuously agree with everything that you said. During the times in my life that I was experiencing MDD, I could barely move. I was frozen with rank apathy. I could not bear advancing from one moment to the next. Simply living was nearly impossible. I lost interest in everything. Like you say, far beyond anything that some medical practitioners can even conceive of. My wife is an RN of 30 year and had all of her training here in the US. She did have a degree in psychology before entering nursing school, but she told me that the nursing training was pretty heavy on the psych. But who knows which psychological school of thought was being taught throughout her training? There are so many. Since its not one of the hard sciences (and some would say that its not a science at all...pity for their ignorance) there is much conjecture being bandied about passed off as fact. And even when they do teach it properly, I think that you will agree that some practitioners just don't care too much for people. You can teach psychology but you can't teach empathy. I wish that they had to have experienced just a taste of what we go through. (Oh, and nice to hear someone compliment the much-maligned NHS. It has so many detractors, most of whom I believe are simply acting under nefarious agenda's. Just my theory).
Have a great night.  RM
Thank you Charon for the advice. Rafterman, I've read it closely and will even copy it down to my notes.
(02-03-2018, 03:50 PM)thegreaseman Wrote: Thank you Charon for the advice. Rafterman, I've read it closely and will even copy it down to my notes.

I am happy to know that, G-Man. Please keep us up to date on how you are doing with the day to day struggle. We will be here. My best to you.  RM