Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you afraid of? Sharing your phobia(s) will help others!
(01-26-2018, 06:18 AM)Justice1 Wrote: Yes,all of you guys rock,,therapy is a good idea,it's never hurt me,only made  e feel bettrr,I usually decided I did not need it or maybee it was too much to let the therapist actually know what is happening in my head, and how emo. I can get..Sheesh nearly no one has been there..I shoyuld go back and not care about my wierd idiocyncracies,or if I just start crying and cannot  get it together and waste the whole time due to this... feeling like I put them in such an awkward situation having to sit and watch me lose it..ok,,I'm fearfully of that

Howdy Justice,
A good therapist wants you to do exactly what you are somewhat fearful of doing. They want to see the things that nobody else sees from you. They want you to reveal yourself at a level that you never reveal to others. That helps them to better be able to help you, and is also usually a freeing exercise for you. Group is also great because you can witness the fact that you aren't so different at all. That brings on feelings of solidarity and also raises your self esteem, as you will feel more "normal". The success of counseling turns on finding a good counselor, revealing your deepest self to them, keeping an open mind, and having a willingness to forgive yourself, where needed. Have a fine evening. RM
(01-26-2018, 06:18 AM)Justice1 Wrote: Yes,all of you guys rock,,therapy is a good idea,it's never hurt me,only made  e feel bettrr,I usually decided I did not need it or maybee it was too much to let the therapist actually know what is happening in my head, and how emo. I can get..Sheesh nearly no one has been there..I shoyuld go back and not care about my wierd idiocyncracies,or if I just start crying and cannot  get it together and waste the whole time due to this... feeling like I put them in such an awkward situation having to sit and watch me lose it..ok,,I'm fearfully of that

I've definitely had therapy sessions where I cried and others where I barely spoke. I also felt like I was a burden, placing the therapist in an awkward position, etc - but I just remind myself that they are there to listen as much or as little as you need them to. Not every session is going to feel like a breakthrough, but I feel good just going, like that's an accomplishment itself. I wish you well!
I have a fear of flying which boils down to the fear of not being in control. I also think it’s the fear of death. I’ve tried everything but being hypnotized.
(01-27-2018, 04:40 PM)happyvibe Wrote: I have a fear of flying which boils down to the fear of not being in control.  I also think it’s the fear of death.  I’ve tried everything but being hypnotized.

Hi Happyville,
I think that you are right when you say that a fear of not being in control is the primary fear behind those who avoid flying. I used to fly regularly between NJ and South FL, about a 3 hour trip. Seemingly normal people would suddenly act out when on a plane. I observed so many incidents of people exploding in anger over almost nothing. I think that even though most people aren't in touch with it on a conscious level, pretty much everyone who does fly senses that lack of control and it puts them on edge. Also true that there are other fears that make it even more difficult... like fear of death (as you say), claustrophobia, and social phobia, to name a few. Have you flown before? I have seen some rather impressive results using progressive desensitization techniques coupled with light use of benzo's. The success rate depends on what the primary fear is. The hardest group were always the claustrophobics. The easiest were those who feared a loss of control. The feeling of being in control is mostly an illusion. Seldom are we in total control of anything. Even when driving a car, we can't control what another driver might do to us. Even though a plane ride takes that feeling to the extreme, knowing that you already conquer many situations daily where you aren't in control may help you eventually conquer your fear of flying. As for the fear of death, that is usually diminished when a person studies statistics about the safety of air travel versus other forms of transportation. It is a process, though. Are you someone who has attempted flying and has had a bad experience? Or do you just sense that you might be afraid to do so you haven't tried?  Just curious, in case you care to answer. Cheers.  RM
Ok here's mine its quite embarrassing for me i didn't realise it till i went to an indoor nature place around 15 years ago and they had massive tropical butterflies landing on me it was gross i couldn't wait to get out of there and now moths scare the crap out of me if i'm in the same room.
ahh feel better for getting that off my chest.
Good morning all..

When I was younger I had the privilege of growing up both in a city environment and a country environment. I can say with the mixture of the two at that time I cannot remember any phobia's I had until I had my first seizure in 2009 which the doctors diagnosed as a "neurological event" they suspect nervous breakdown or minor stroke. I was later diagnosed with PTSD and the phobia's kicked in.

I am claustrophobic now which is the main one along this is a strange one. I love all animals especially dogs. Now ever since my first seizure I have a phobia of house cat's which to me iz completely bizarre. Feedback on that last one appreciated. I can understand the PTSD and claustrophobia but cats?????

Peace All

Fury
"Another Day In This Carnival Of Souls"
I have phobias of spiders and worms. I know both are good for the environment. Spiders eat flies, which I find very annoying, but not phobic about them. Earthworms are vital for the good condition of soil. So I can appreciate them - I just don't want them anywhere near me - especially the spiders. I have a spider spray and apparently they don't like the smell, so you can squirt it onto cloth or cotton balls and then leave it in places where spiders come in or like to hide.

Here is an unusual phobia... an ex of mine had a phobia of tupperware. Tupperware as in those plastic tubs you keep leftover food it! It was a very specific phobia because if food had been in a tub made from the harder more brittle plastic that was fine. I really don't understand that, but phobias by nature are irrational.
(01-28-2018, 09:48 AM)blandy Wrote: Ok here's mine its quite embarrassing for me i didn't realise it till i went to an indoor nature place around 15 years ago and they had massive tropical butterflies landing on me it was gross i couldn't wait to get out of there and now moths scare the crap out of me if i'm in the same room.
ahh feel better for getting that off my chest.

Wow, Blandy, I have to admit that idea of massive butterflies landing on me would be pretty creepy. Not sure why. I have never thought that one through, in spite of the fact that my fathers only phobia is of butterflies. The family used to tease him about it all the time. He said that he is disgusted my them and that it isn't an issue of fear. I am not so sure about that because he isn't disgusted by anything else that I can think of, including roaches. I know a lot of people who fear moths, so you are in good company with that one!  Regards, RM
(01-28-2018, 11:16 AM)Furyan66 Wrote: Good morning all..

When I was younger I had the privilege of growing up both in a city environment and a country environment. I can say with the mixture of the two at that time I cannot remember any phobia's I had until I had my first seizure in 2009 which the doctors diagnosed as a "neurological event" they suspect nervous breakdown or minor stroke. I was later diagnosed with PTSD and the phobia's kicked in.

I am claustrophobic now which is the main one along this is a strange one. I love all animals especially dogs. Now ever since my first seizure I have a phobia of house cat's which to me iz completely bizarre. Feedback on that last one appreciated. I can understand the PTSD and claustrophobia but cats?????

Peace All

Fury

Hey there, Fury

I must say that a sudden fear of cats is a not new one for me, and that I know for certain that there are neurological events that are followed by phobic behavior that wasn't exhibited beforehand. Many irrational fears rest in the subconscious from childhood and are then activated by a particular event (whether emotional or physical). A seizure or a stroke are surely among those events. I have read that 70% of stroke victims exhibit new phobic behavior. Seizures can do the same thing. Could it be that you had a bad experience with a cat many years ago? Very young children are often initially afraid of cats. Early exposure to them can be traumatic, forcing the memories and associated fear into the subconscious, where it can rest for years. Do you think that this could have happened to you?

RM
(01-28-2018, 04:08 PM)barq- Wrote: I have phobias of spiders and worms. I know both are good for the environment. Spiders eat flies, which I find very annoying, but not phobic about them. Earthworms are vital for the good condition of soil. So I can appreciate them - I just don't want them anywhere near me - especially the spiders. I have a spider spray and apparently they don't like the smell, so you can squirt it onto cloth or cotton balls and then leave it in places where spiders come in or like to hide.

Here is an unusual phobia... an ex of mine had a phobia of tupperware. Tupperware as in those plastic tubs you keep leftover food it! It was a very specific phobia because if food had been in a tub made from the harder more brittle plastic that was fine. I really don't understand that, but phobias by nature are irrational.

Tupperware, that's definitely an interesting one to me. If there is something, someone is afraid of it. I have a friend who is afraid of tomatoes, but only when he can see the inside. If they are whole, no big deal, but being able to see the inside sends him over the edge. It's nice to know we all have our "things".