Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anxiety and Caffeine
Does anyone else feel that when they drink a beverage such as coffee or strong tea with caffeine that it worsens you’re anxiety??? I do enjoy drinking coffee and other caffeinated beverages but I do find that it affects my anxiety levels tenfold. Maybe I have enough energy and things on my mind I don’t need to add another hamster to the wheel. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Xfizzler
 There is more time than life ....  so make it count!
I have definitely experienced that with strong coffee... or a second, totally unnecessary, round of espresso in the afternoon.
And during WD from a benzo, you can forget it... a cup of coffee turns an already bad situation into hell on earth.

Currently battling an involuntary eye twitch (probably due to caffeine, as well) >.<
(04-05-2018, 05:02 PM)schmok Wrote: I have definitely experienced that with strong coffee... or a second, totally unnecessary, round of espresso in the afternoon.
And during WD from a benzo, you can forget it... a cup of coffee turns an already bad situation into hell on earth.

Currently battling an involuntary eye twitch (probably due to caffeine, as well)  >.<

Hi Schmok!!

Could not agree more with you! Especially WD from a benzo and the involuntary Eye twitch -  and you’re right it is from the caffeine .

Xfizzler
I HAVE to avoid anything with caffeine as my anxiety goes thru the roof!
I hate this cuz now I have nothing to help perk me up when I need it  Shy
Yes Mikka!

It sucks not being able to drink coffee for the extra energy boost. But I find alternative means of countering that. Such as eating better and trying to getting quality rest. Below is a link I found may help. hxxps://kimberlysnyder.com/blog/2011/10/...gy-drinks/

Xfizzler
(04-05-2018, 06:55 PM)Xfizzler Wrote: Yes Mikka!

It sucks not being able to drink coffee for the extra energy boost. But I find alternative means of countering that. Such as eating better and trying to getting quality rest. Below is a link I found may help. hxxps://kimberlysnyder.com/blog/2011/10/...gy-drinks/

Xfizzler

I'm sure it heightens anxiety to some degree, but I can't get going in the morning without my cup of Joe. Probably not a good way to start the day off but it is a vice I can't do without. Maybe you could try some half-calf coffee as it's likely almost as good.
(04-05-2018, 11:05 PM)Bandit Wrote:  Maybe you could try some half-calf coffee as it's likely almost as good.

Not a bad idea.  I generally buy Lavazza's Prefetto roast for my moka.  A few weeks back, I bought some Lavazza DEK for my moka on a whim and ended up having it every morning until it was gone!  It seems they have figured out how to make a decaf and not screw up the flavor.  Find a good decaf then you can "cut" your regular coffee down to whatever you deem acceptable, as suggested.
its proven ages ago that coffee raises blood pressure, for someone with anxiety its like putting more fuel into the fire, same with nicotine. Anyway maybe switch to full decaf found it tastes actually as good as real stuff and you dont get that rush which creates anxiety.
I agree with pretty much all the comments here. I used to do the 1/2 caff routine, but decided to go with just one 10 oz. coffee per day and I have it at lunch time. For some reason my GAD peaks in the morning so I avoid coffee in the morning. As with any substance, and yes coffee is a substance, it is best administered with a meal to slow absorption into your system.

Finally, sometimes my meds make me feel drowsy during the day. If I have to drive a significant distance to get somewhere on any particular day, I don't need to tell you that drowsy and driving is a really bad mix. I had one bad experience in this regard and now I never travel long distance without a supply of extra bold at hand. There are blends that will knock down the effects of any benzo. That's what I carry with me now.

Stay safe my friends.
Raven
Ah, the things we mange to talk ourselves into.... Angel

I love saying how my evening alp leaves me waking up feeling completely fresh and perky and ready to take on the next day.
But in reality, on awaking the first thing I do every morning is make a strong espresso from freshly ground coffee beans. I mean strong. Smile
Then, on arrival at work an hour later, the first thing I do is pop into the cafe and get a 3-shot long black. Big Grin
So there's a question, isn't there.    Why do I require so much caffeine each morning to function at a high level? Huh

That said, I have a Rule - which I'm very good at sticking to - 'No Coffee after 2pm'.
Because I know that I will feel overwhelmed by clients and their neediness and I'll just be generally grumpy and anxious about daily tasks for the rest of the working day.  
And when I get home, all I'll do is complain about how horrible work was.   And that scenario is all 'post-2pm-caffeine-consumption' related, I know it is. 

So back to the question at hand - Does Caffeine affect my anxiety ?   Short answer - large doses of real coffee definitely does - especially when consumed in the afternoon.

Sarcastic PostScript: I am referring only to the delicious high-end, top shelf coffee that we are routinely served in Australia.
I am not sure if bottomless cups of wishy-washy Amercian Diner percolated coffee would affect me at all. Wink 
(And if no-one accuses me of sounding like an outrageous coffee snob, then I'll be very disappointed.)
There's a difference between having an opinion and having an informed opinion.