Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting read..
https://www.thecut.com/2018/04/what-its-...-term.html
Ya know that was an incredible read! I wasn't sure what too expect since there wasn't any info about the article but I am pleasantly surprised.  Anyone who take anti-depressant's, or any medication for that matter, daily, should take the time to read this article.  It is eye opening and contains some great information regarding mental illnesses altogether

Much love,
Snatcher
Just finish it. Really interesting, specially, cause I am on prozac since 11 years !
Yes, it is an interesting read.
For the sake of context, I should state that my mother has lived with depression forever; while luckily I have only inherited a tiny tendency towards it - having only suffered 3 serious episodes in 58 years.

I wonder whether this article's author's psych considered St.John's Wort when the trialing new combinations of meds?
Before you roll your eyes too far Wink  The Cochrane Report (you can't get any more conservative than this evidence based institution) states that:
"The available evidence suggests that the hypericum extracts tested in the included trials
a) are superior to placebo in patients with major depression;
b) are similarly effective as standard antidepressants;
c) and have fewer side effects than standard antidepressants.

Seems that if you are in Germany, your GP would likely consider a standardized St.John's Wort extract as one of the medical options.
If you are in the rest of the world, your GP disregards all the research in favor of denouncing it as "Dippy Hippy Herbal Rubbish".

I'm also a little disappointed that the article doesn't support exploring other lifestyle factors that favorably influence Depression (like exercise).
Please understand I am not 'having a go' at people who choose or require antidepressant medications for life.
But as our body is connected to our head....in a perfect world, people with depression would be encouraged to include other factors that positively effect mood - not rely solely on medications.

I'm not sure that the comparison with Diabetes being used as an example of 'not feeling guilty about taking a drug' is a good one.
Any diabetic will tell you how influential  a can of soft drink, or eating a huge a meal, or sitting all day vs walking is on their sugars....and their med requirements.

I don't want to derail or hijack the conversation, it's just that I came away from this article thinking "but there's SO MUCH MORE to beating a lifetime of depression than relying solely on finding a combination of drugs".  Taking a "drug-only" position robs the person with depression of any empowerment over their own outcome.

Just my 2c worth.
There's a difference between having an opinion and having an informed opinion.
Sad to say I have been on Effexor for 13 years. Of course, the dosage has been adjusted from 150 mg to 300 mg over that time period. I believe that is the highest dose you can take.

Effexor is really hard to discontinue. When I try to adjust to a lower dose, I get weird feelings in my brain and cry over nothing. I have crying episodes until I can barely breathe.

I know I will be on this medication for the rest of my life.  Cry
Fireplaces & willie33, I can only imagine the relief that it must for you be that the the Cymbalta and Effexor  continue to work for you.
I've been taking a standardized Hypericum (St.John's Wort) for I don't know how long - easily the last decade.
I took one short break (relatively recently) and after a few weeks it became very clear how much I need this med to keep me stable.
I have only inherited a tendency towaqrds Depression - and luckily the St.JayWay (as I call it) - is enough to keep me buoyant.
Back In the olden days (when the pyramids were being built and I was young Big Grin ) St.John's Wort used to be called a Nerve Tonic, but I think it more rightly sits in the category of Anti-depressant.

I've heard people say how Prozac (in particular) can leave them emotionally numb - no lows, no highs - just everything gray.
I'm glad to report St.J.W. doesn't effect me in this way at all.
I'd be interested to hear if either of you have noticed the Cymbalta or Effexor exerting an emotionally blunting effect?
In the end, it's possibly better to feel 'Bland' rather than 'Blue'    Huh
R.
There's a difference between having an opinion and having an informed opinion.