IOPList.Org

Full Version: Hypoglycemia/asking for prayers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was dxed with hypoglycemia about 12 years ago.  Through diet and exercise I got it under control.  Diabetes runs rampant on both sides of my family.  For the last five to six years my blood sugar levels have not bottomed out.  I was driving with my mom and two blocks from the house and I felt drunk, then dizzy, then shaky, a and stumbled into the house.  Then I started sweating profusely.  I hadn't experienced this in a long time, but thought to check my blood sugar.  Normal levels are 90-120.  Coma can occur at 40-50.  My blood sugar was 37.  My mom grabbed some chips a hoy, pop and milk. Within 20 minutes it was up to 87.  

Holy shit.  I feel drained, weak and like complete crap now.  I'm hoping my blood sugar doesn't continue to do this again on a regular basis.  I'd Appreciate any prayers (for those that do pray) that this was an isolated incident.  You don't have to post the prayers (some prefer to keep their faith to themselves) but I'd appreciate any extra "spiritual healing" I can get.  

Thanks BH
Prayers to you Bighead. I don't know you but I know many people with diabetes I wish you there best.
Praying? No problem. Know your triggers.
My prayers go out to you! My father was a severe diabetic, with a lot of other medical problems, before he passed away.

Many nights, he would bottom out and my stepmother would have to call an ambulance, because he couldn't wake up to even eat. It was such a trauma because it happened so many times.

Hope things get better. Heart
Thank God Harley knows this also.

Of course I shall pray for u, Bighead. Very scary. Hang in there for us. (I wondered why u were so quiet of late.)
(04-02-2016, 05:47 AM)Harley Wrote: [ -> ]BH, I am Hypoglycemic as well and I know the feeling of bottoming out well.  I've hit 34 and called 911 on myself once in the past just as I was passing out.  It's very scary, but it doesn't happen often if you eat regularly, 5 to 6 times a day, the right food, and watch the sugar and complex carbs that your body turns into sugar.

You will probably feel off balance for a couple of days.  Maybe get a headache, feel fatigued, but once you build yourself back up and maintain a safe BS level you'll start feeling normal again.  I would go see your Dr though and let him/her know what happened so they can check you out and maybe do a longer standing glucose test.

Please watch what you put in your body carefully for a couple of weeks to fuel it as you need to maintain consistent levels.  Also always carry something on you.  Even a piece of hard candy in a pocket.  I never go anywhere without OJ in my car, or purse because I can tell when mine is slipping and react accordingly now.

My thoughts are with you.  You'll be fine, but please be vigilant in taking care of yourself.  Your Angel, your Mom was there to see you through.

Last 8 hour glucose test they did they had to stop after fours hours.  That sugaring orange pop/juice they give you made my blood sugar jump up to 200 something and then they checked my levels every 15-30.  At four hours I was down to down 30 something and lied out on the bench.  They called my doctor whom said to give me something to get my sugars back up and then I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia.  This was the first episode in years.  I'm in better physical shape now then I've ever been, but yesterday I only ate twice (not the 5-6 small meals per day I'm suppose to).  In the past I've caught it going low before it got too bad, but this time it was instant.  And you are correct I slept for 13 hours last night and still feel worn out.  Thanks for the support and prayers.

(04-02-2016, 05:04 PM)Charon Wrote: [ -> ]Thank God Harley knows this also.

Of course I shall pray for u, Bighead.  Very scary.  Hang in there for us. (I wondered why u were so quiet of late.)

My quietness has been more related to a new job I started a few weeks ago.  I commute an hour their and back and my hours are different everyday.  By time I get home it's usually 7pm-9pm and then I clean up, do some chores, etc and then it's midnight.
ah, that would do it, also, bighead.

nonetheless, prayers are intensified for u.

it is always good to see u.

(my BFF on here, she communicates with me during her train ride commutes. I guess u don't have the ability to use WIFI during the commute?)

Just feel better for us.
(04-03-2016, 12:35 PM)FirePlaces Wrote: [ -> ]Wow Bighead, that is so scary.  

Having to eat 5 to 6 times a day is a bit of a burden for one who is so busy.  But banking on Harley being right as she usually is -- that is your answer.  

Odd that your low blood sugar acted up put of nowhere afer behaving for over a decade.  

I will pray for you in my own way that this is an isolated incident.  Are you thinking of eating the 5 - 6 times a day or does your doc have other, or additional suggestions?  

So sorry you suffered such a scare.

Reread your post and see that you have been eating the 5-6 times a day already.  Such a serious reaction to having one day not following the req'd eating program.

Harely is definitely correct on how to manage it.  With my new job I'm doing a lot of walking, and I'm averaging 1400 steps per day according to my Fitbit, and I think I wasn't consuming enough complex carbohydrates and wasn't completely sticking to my diet plan.  My previous jobs have all been sitting behind a desk, so I think I was burning more sugar than I was taking in.  So, I've already readjusted my "meal" plan to get more complex carbs into my system.  It hit late Friday night when I skipped lunch and my second snack, but I ate a large dinner which I think made my BS levels shoot up and then my body over-compensated and released too much insulin because of the drastic change in my diet.  I slept until the late afternoon Saturday and felt worn out all day after the episode.  Last night I slept for my normal time frame (7 hours) and today I'm feeling great.  The other negative is I suffer from some GI issues so I also have to watch what I eat or else I get terrible stomach flare-ups (although sometimes they just flare-up and I have no appetite so I'm stocked up with ensure drinks to make sure I'm getting what my body needs during flare-ups).  Diabetes and GI issues (IBS/ulcerative colitis/diverticulitis, etc) run in my family and I unfortunately got both.  But that's life, they are manageable (for the most part) and I've kind of found what foods will trigger my stomach flare-ups through trial and error.  

It was just scary because I haven't experienced those low BS levels like that in a long time.  Dizziness, slurred speech, clouded thinking, unsteady gait, headache, etc.  As soon as I got home I ate some cookies and felt "better" but then my mom threw some egg rolls in the oven for me and I ate four of them.  Luckily, I'm one of the fortunate people that can feel their BS getting low because some people can't and they end up passing out, becoming aggressive (you're adrenaline quicks in to compensate for the low BS levels), etc.  before I was diagnosed I thought I was bi-polar or something because one minute I would be happy and having a normal conversation and next thing I knew I was yelling, insulting and just being an a-whole to others and felt like I had no control over my emotions.  After I was diagnosed and informed of what hypoglycemia was I was able to recognize the mental and physical symptoms and avoid turning into a complete jerk.  The adrenaline dump after a low BS level leaves you feeling like crap.  

Thanks for all the support, feedback, prayers, etc.  it's much appreciated!