IOPList.Org

Full Version: New Law re: Mail entering U.S.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I just heard today this was being proposed in congress, concerns "USPS advance data to customs as to origin and delivery". This is primarily aimed at synthetic fentanyl from China and India, due to overdose deaths here in US. 

Draw your own conclusions, not sure how dangerous for us. Certainly not positive. From Washington Examiner today:

The bill aims to target how the drugs are getting into the U.S. via the mail system.
Unlike UPS or FedEx, the U.S. Postal Service doesn't require advance electronic customs data for "the vast majority of mail entering the United States," according to a statement announcing the bill. "Because of the volume of mail, Customs and Border Protection cannot manually scan these packages and stop illicit goods from crossing our borders."
The bill would require postal shipments from foreign countries to provide electronic advance data such as who and where the package is from, where it is going and what is in it. The data must be provided before the shipments cross the border into the U.S.

All my shipments have been EMS, a private service. Is this a private service and exempt? Just want to get any ideas on this.
I would assume that since EMS is just a form of express delivery that it would fall into that category. All EMS does is rush the order through the country of origin and then is tendered off to usps. Hence why if you do a detailed track you will see origin post preparing for shipment in the middle of your package life cycle. Let's hope this gets deflated with a bunch of extra nonsense so that law makers don't wanna support the bill.
It will be an interesting topic to follow. I agree the shear volume is too great to check all normal mail. One question would be where is the highest volume of mail processed?
That would be one to ship through. West coast East coast LA NYC Miami.
Caver
I agree the sheer amount of volume could not be inspected so easily. I think it will be more of a mark on a particular sender and they will flag each incoming package. Just my honest opinion.
Excellent post hqinmaine.

My sense is that the key word in the proposed 2016 & 2017 legislation is "package" (parcel). The focus will likely be on the interdiction of parcels of international origin which enter the USPS system. The USPS certainly does not have the financial resources to waste on generating documentation/tracking of every mail item that enters their system for use by US Customs during the inspection process.
Where would the $$ come from in order to support such a program when the current administration implements their promised massive tax cuts? After paying down his debts to the Russians, Trump has most likely earmarked the remaining budget for general maintenance at Mar a Lago, and for cleaning infected rat piss from the basement of Trump Tower.
Big Grin

Black Bird
I will definitely be following this topic. Excellent post!
(02-16-2017, 04:50 AM)Audrey Hepburn Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Raven,
Mexico.
Mexico will pay the extra $$ to make USPS more efficient.    Huh
Audrey:

Did not think of that. Perhaps El Chapo could be appointed as an adviser to Congress as well (sort of a community service type of thing). Other than the fact that he is a brutal thug, the man is definitely clever and knows all about deliver systems. Just a thought.

Da Boid
Had a package rip through a facility I've never had go through in less than 24 hours. I hope it's the new normal. I couldn't afford to start losing packages here or there. Like I said before the amount of volume and resources would honestly be too much in my opinion. Since the type of items going through the facilities are not only our packages. You have things like flashlights and other normal items that they just wouldn't have the time to check and open each one. Fingers crossed nothing changes anytime soon.
(02-16-2017, 04:24 AM)Raven Wrote: [ -> ]Excellent post hqinmaine.

My sense is that the key word in the proposed 2016 & 2017 legislation is "package" (parcel). The focus will likely be on the interdiction of parcels of international origin which enter the USPS system. The USPS certainly does not have the financial resources to waste on generating documentation/tracking of every mail item that enters their system for use by US Customs during the inspection process.
Where would the $$ come from in order to support such a program when the current administration implements their promised massive tax cuts? After paying down his debts to the Russians, Trump has most likely earmarked the remaining budget for general maintenance at Mar a Lago, and for cleaning infected rat piss from the basement of Trump Tower.
Big Grin

Black Bird

The $ would come from the usual areas, social security cuts, medicare/aid cuts, snap program, all the usual right wing boogeyman. Also it would happen after the top 10% get tax cuts.
(02-17-2017, 01:52 PM)JohnKing Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-16-2017, 04:24 AM)Raven Wrote: [ -> ]Excellent post hqinmaine.

Big Grin

Black Bird

The $ would come from the usual areas, social security cuts, medicare/aid cuts, snap program, all the usual right wing boogeyman. Also it would happen after the top 10% get tax cuts.

And...it will be great, it will be big league, it will be fantastic, it will be the best customs law EVER because no one knows customs like Donald Trump, trust me.  Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5