IOPList.Org

Full Version: Fish oil, cod liver oil, krill oil?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since I do not like or ever eat fish, I try to take a Vit E type supplement. Any suggestions on which is best for someone who does not eat any kind of fish. I've tried lots of the different supplements, like fish oil, cod liver oil and krill oil for (all in pill form) instance, but I don't know which is best absorbed by the body and is most helpful (brain). Thanks for suggestions or thoughts.
I'm not sure about all of the different types of "Fish Oil's" that are available now days - there are so many now I think it over complicates things! The two that I have tried in the past were Cod Liver Oil(Capsules) and Glucosamine(Tablets).  I found the Cod Liver Oil was no use at all(No matter the brand/strength etc.), and the Glucosamine(made from actual shells) to be of some help. But even then, before I found ANY benefit I had to try a lot of different Strengths/Brands/Types - which is made more complicated as there are so many different types and even different "sources" that are used in the process to manufacture them, and that was prob a good 10yrs ago I last tried them for myself.(I believe it's best in the form of "Glucosamine Sulfate" for Joint related ailments). With that said, I have heard and met some people that totally swear by Glucosamine, but for me it just wasn't worth the money at the time, the more cheaper ones were total rubbish and any that did help cost a small fortune back then anyway. Also, it can take up to 3 months of daily use for some "Fish Oils" to show any benefit they may have for you! (Glucosamine; takes a good 2-3 months for any proper benefit, a GP told me!)

It's actually a very good question you ask though; as I think many of us on here would find it helpful if there are other members that have had good(or bad!) experiences with any of the Fish Oils etc. - especially in regard to the more recent/modern types that are available these days.  Personally, I would love to read first hand about any of these, especially if someone knows of one that helps with joint or muscular inflammation...

I know the ones that contain the Omega-3 oils/fatty acids are particularly good for your heart, eye's and brain function too.

It's worth having a good read on the web - as there really seems to be so many options available now!!  But I can tell you going from my own and very limited experience, is that they really do wonders for some people, though  you have to find what "Product", strength/brand etc. that suits you best personally; aimed at what it is that you need it for specifically(Inflammation/Joint pain/Omega-3 boost/Etc)...so it's a case of, "Horses for Courses" and "Do your Homework" - as my dear Mum used to say -  God Bless her!

Also a good idea+worth doing, is to have a quick search for "Fish Oil", here within our own forum pages; as it brings up quite a lot of decent results!  Maybe you could try changing the search words to something more specific to your needs?

Example thread on "Fish Oil"

Good Luck + I'm sure someone here will know more about this stuff than I, I know I personally would find any first hand experience on these supplements very  interesting!!
Blockhead:

I've been taking one form or another of fish oil supplement for as long as I can remember. I settled on a GNC 1000 Mg. Salmon Oil capsule for many years, but it was discontinued and is no longer offered. I have now switched to MegaRed 500mg Extra Strength Omega-3 Krill Oil. It comes in a softgel cap which is very easy to take. They are a bit spendy, but I think you get a lot of bang for your buck. I purchase mine at Amazon and usually get 90 softgels (500 Mg.) for $22.00 w/ free Prime shipping.

It is a once-a-day product which I take with my multi-vitamin at bedtime. An extra added benefit for me is that this product seems to stomp out any acid reflux that may try to develop during the night.

I am vitamin D-3 deficient and I have a prescription for 10,000 units of D-3 per day. This was prescribed by my Primary Care Physician. I discussed this with my Cardiologist and he recommended that I cut my prescription D-3 in half and double-up on the MegaRed. That's a pretty sound recommendation for this product in my mind. Give it a try and good luck.

Raven
Thanks Izzy and Raven for your suggestions and advice.!

You're right, Izzy, I read the other thread on fish oil and there is a ton of information there. 

Someone (reilli, maybe, sorry I forgot names after I read thread) mentioned Swanson as their vendor. I have a friend who swears by them. She says they have good quality supplements at reasonable prices. 

I think that I'm going to try the MegaRed Krill Oil , Raven, suggested. Even though someone (Richardg8092, again I'm guessing and hoping I'm right) on the other thread said no need to take more than 180 EPA and 120 DHA/day despite price, as quality is same.

If MegaRed helps with acid reflux, too, that's an added benefit. 

Thanks again for your advice.
Hi Blockhead. I'm sorry, my post on the other fish oil thread was content dense and maybe a little confusing.
In short, all 180 EPA and 120 DHA are the same - regardless of the price you pay for the brand.
I do NOT recommend a 180 EPA and 120 DHA fish oil, but if you choose go down that path, purchase the cheapest one you can find. Don't pay big money for a 180/120 capsule - you're just paying for the gold leaf on the label - not for good product.

Not sure that the jury is in on which is 'better', Krill or Fish Oil.
Both products are essentially Omega 3 oils - so kinda "same same".
If pushed, I'd probably opt for Krill Oil - the only negative is that it's usually more pricey.
Whereas you can get a GREAT Fish Oil for a fairer price.

I'm in total agreement with Raven's suggestion of the 500mg MegaRed Krill Oil. It's a great supplement. If your finances allow for it, I would even up the dose for their 1,000mg caps and take one morning and one at night. 
But there are lots of factors to consider in determining dose. Are you just wanting to 'maintain good health' with a small daily dose  - or do you need to quickly and dramatically reduce your triglycerides (1.5-3gms/day dose) ?

You can read some great research articles on Krill Oil here
Well true the heavy metals In fish oil is a valid concern
There are some which address that issue but as you say I don’t think all of them do

Good idea to read the fine print as usual
Good point Cos
Hello,,, I have taken 4 - 1000 mg Sundown Fish Oil for 7 years and now take Pharm grade Generic Major brand name...

Helped Anxiety,Depression,ADD, Lower LDL and Raised HDL,

I change to an Organic 95% Vegan diet as well which I believe is the key...
(05-10-2018, 03:04 AM)Costro77 Wrote: [ -> ]I am concerned with the heavy metals, which accumulate in fish and even more in those products.

That's certainly an advantage that Krill has over Fish - their life cycle is very short - they don't have much time to accumulate heavy metals.
Older / larger fish have eaten other fish over time and do accumulate heavy metals.

The Fish Oil I take is sourced only from mackerel, sardines and anchovies, the latter of which are two of the smallest and cleanest omega-3 rich fish species.
It is also 'molecularly distilled' - a process which separates out heavy metals and other impurities.

When I first started taking fish oils many years ago, I took a low dose of the cheap and nasty 180/120 fish oil capsules.
They did absolutely nothing for me and I was left wondering what all the hype was about.
However, things definitely improved when I took a higher dose of a quality product.

Two decades of performing massage and one decade of bashing away at the computer keyboard has left my fingers (and elbows) cranky.
Fish oil sorts that out very nicely for me. I take them and I have no pain. If I stop taking them the inflammation returns very quickly.

For me it's similar to comparing a cheap generic med from an unknown manufacturer in a dubious region to an authentic licensed Brand name med.
With one, you take your chances with what you get, with the other you can be more certain.
That's why it's worth doing some reading, and paying for a good quality fish oil product, in my opinion.
As with virtually everything else on the planet, it's about quality and dose. (Hahaha. So Deep! Big Grin  )
Most the fish oil capsules are from anchovy's,,, I assume small feeder fish low risk...
Beware if you take to much, I was doing 2-3 grams daily ( GNC triple strenght ) and gave me a lot of stomach problems, just the same way the ibuprophen will give you.
Pages: 1 2