IOPList.Org
Like/Dislike - Printable Version

+- IOPList.Org (https://www.ioplist.org)
+-- Forum: Welcome Centre (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Suggestions & Technical (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Like/Dislike (/showthread.php?tid=2817)

Pages: 1 2

Like/Dislike - bluecoral - 11-18-2016

I was just curious if it is possible to add a like and dislike button to the bottom of the posts?  I only ask this because as I read more and more I come across posts that really hit home or have helped me in some way and would just like to let the person know that I appreciated what they wrote.  I ask for the button so as not to have to type thank you or I liked your post and clog up the thread with that kind of stuff. 

If this has already been discussed or I'm missing seeing that button please let me know!  Thanks again for the second chance here at this new place I would call a second family.  I know a lot of us are all dealing with the same issues and its reassuring to know that there are more people like myself out there and I'm not alone in this everyday battle to be happy, without anxiety and pain free from the 2 herniated discs.  These discs I had multiple injections done on and nothing has helped, so I am very glad to be somewhere that helps me in more ways than a lot can understand!!!  Thank you again IOPList!!!

RE: Like/Dislike - Charon - 11-18-2016

You have to wait till u get in ur first fifty posts my friend. Then, u may rate another's post. We only allow members to give positive ratings to another. Only administrative staff may give negative reputation points to a member. It is done to get their attention when they first come on.

We have found newbies whom were banned or trolls, to come on here and give negative ratings to me, my staff, my members, all to disrupt this forum of peace.

So, we have figured that by the time one reaches fifty posts, most of us whom are here have a very good idea of the character of the poster.

That is when you will be allowed to give reputation points to others whom have made a good post. Sometimes whom need a bit of encouragement.

But, we don't have a like button, per se.

We have voted against having a dislike button for any reason. We noted in the first few weeks of running this forum, that some mean people come on here, take an instant dislike to another, and start giving them all dislike posts.

It can really hurt someone's feelings. They can never want to interact at a forum again.

I have been running forums since i first became disabled some twenty odd yrs ago.

We strive to only encourage and uplift our members whenever possible.

But, we were originally private. We are public at the moment. I am sure we shall discuss the Like button again.

In reality, because i am permanently disabled, my arms just stop working by about evening. So, I shall give a "like" to a person by giving them reputation points, or, in the alternative, I use "new Reply" function. And, I choose a heart and a smile face.

I know my co admin, Admin of Steel, has answered this query before. We whom are the staff and the beginner members do vote on how to proceed. To date, we use the ratings button to show approval for a post.

Or, a heart. A smile.

Your suggestion has been duly noted though. We shall think again about a like button. A dislike button can be used for cruelty. If you do see a horrible or negative post, please use report button to let us know so that one of us can delete or edit same.

k?

RE: Like/Dislike - bluecoral - 11-18-2016

Got it!! That all makes sense to me, especially the dislike button, I could see it being a big problem with people who don't have a conscience, and just want to come here and stir the pot.

I am sorry about your disability, that is a terrible thing to have to deal with on a daily basis!! I cant imagine, more power to you for keeping a positive attitude about it and not letting it get you down or affect your personality (well from what I know so farSmile. I am glad to be here now, and cant wait to learn more about others and what they have to go through as well and how they deal with it everyday.

RE: Like/Dislike - Charon - 11-18-2016

cool. actually, i am grateful to the God I serve as having disability (MS, Lupus, PTSD, few strokes and the possibility of parkinsons was told to me by disability, oh swell,) allows me to run forums to help others whom are physically ill. anxiety ridden. Some members I walk thru the shadow of the valley of death in real life or online. Tis the minister in me. I was originally to be a psychiatrist until my older sister began medical school. The day she vivisected a baby pig--i am not a killer, I am a vegetarian--I decided to become a doctor of law instead.

But, the adversity of my husband dying suddenly, within one minute, at age 53, coupled with my illnesses that have no hope of recovery, and further coupled with my son's grades (the school system thought my child was slow. So, i gave up law and schooled him at home as well as at public schools. He immediately skipped two grades.)have actually helped. All my monies were thereafter gone. So, the good from this is I get to meet and help people whom really struggle. And my son got into Bucknell college for free. Then into Cornell University for free. And he now devises robotic medical devices for others whom are disabled. Like his mom.

I had a very rough childhood. Extremely. Very rough marriage. Extremely. But, i have felt from a young child that unless I experience what people I counsel have experienced, my words have no meaning. So, I regret nothing that has happened to me.

It is a choice to use everything one has to make life better for others. Or to become bitter and cold and hateful.

When I pass over to glory, I do believe I shall answer for how I helped each and every one of the people I have met in real life and on forums. So, I do give second chances. I do try to make a positive out of what others see as negative.

I wish I could work those long hours again. You sound to be a good man.

I hope I may call you a friend now.

RE: Like/Dislike - bluecoral - 11-18-2016

Hell yes you can call me a friend!! Your words are very encouraging and really hit home!! I have days that I don't want to get out of bed but I do and I go to work and I make the best of it. I am the sole provider for my family so my wife can stay home with our little one because I have a hard time trusting babysitters.

That is a great story about your son, sadly that is just how the system works, if you learn differently than others you are considered slow or not capable when in reality sometimes it just takes a different way of looking at something to figure it out. I think that is awesome that your son has come full circle when the system gave up on him because what they were doing was not right for him. More power to you and may you continue to inspire and help people. Thank you for these last couple of posts they have really meant a lot to me!!!

RE: Like/Dislike - ADMIN OF STEEL - 11-18-2016

(11-18-2016, 05:08 PM)whitetailhunter2 Wrote: I was just curious if it is possible to add a like and dislike button to the bottom of the posts?  I only ask this because as I read more and more I come across posts that really hit home or have helped me in some way and would just like to let the person know that I appreciated what they wrote.  I ask for the button so as not to have to type thank you or I liked your post and clog up the thread with that kind of stuff. 

If this has already been discussed or I'm missing seeing that button please let me know!  Thanks again for the second chance here at this new place I would call a second family.  I know a lot of us are all dealing with the same issues and its reassuring to know that there are more people like myself out there and I'm not alone in this everyday battle to be happy, without anxiety and pain free from the 2 herniated discs.  These discs I had multiple injections done on and nothing has helped, so I am very glad to be somewhere that helps me in more ways than a lot can understand!!!  Thank you again IOPList!!!

The rate button is what you should be looking at. Smile

RE: Like/Dislike - Linville - 11-20-2016

Charon you are a wonderful person.  Heart

whitetailhunter2 I hope you realize how kind you have just been treated.

I say this with fondness to Charon and hoping you white tail always treat Charon with great respect as she has done you.
I think you do WT.  Smile

AOS thank you .... Cool

RE: Like/Dislike - bluecoral - 11-28-2016

I really shouldn't have put the the dislike button thing in along with my original post. It was more of just the simple like button to let someone know you appreciate or like what they said. That was what i should have just originally wrote, thanks for the responses and once i reach my 50 posts, i will then be able to understand what most of you have replied to me. Hope everyone had a great Holiday and time with your family!!!

RE: Like/Dislike - Charon - 11-28-2016

Pff. It gave us something to discuss and think about.

Hoping u had a glorious time with ur family also.

RE: Like/Dislike - bluecoral - 11-28-2016

Thank you Charon, hope you got to enjoy it as well and spend it with the people that mean the most to you!!!