IOPList.Org
Hiking and Backpacking - Printable Version

+- IOPList.Org (https://www.ioplist.org)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Hiking and Backpacking (/showthread.php?tid=4705)

Pages: 1 2

Hiking and Backpacking - MoJim - 07-31-2018

The issue of exercise and hiking has been brought up before in other threads to reduce depression and anxiety. I thought I would start a light hearted thread where hikers can share their experiences.

For myself, I've been hiking/backpacking for 45 years and completed the entire JMT (John Muir Trail 211mi)) and hope to tackle the Wonderland trail (98 mi) in Washington next year. The eastern Sierra's have been my playground from Yosemite to Mt. Whitney. After my son joined the Boy Scouts, I was coerced into a leadership position to head up our hiking outings. It was very rewarding to have this quality time with him.

If anyone would like to share then great!.

Thanks
MoJIm

RE: Hiking and Backpacking - Scoobie - 08-03-2018

My wife and I love hiking in the mountains. We take our dogs and they jump in the river or lakes along the way. Exercise with a view. I don't got to the gym so its my way of staying in shape. Next step is overnight backpacking. Not there yet but some friends of mine do it and I plan of tagging along next time. Life goal to be able to backpack like you have. Sounds so fun.

RE: Hiking and Backpacking - barq2 - 08-13-2018

Hi

I love doing this. Getting out in the wild just feels so healthy. My ideal is wild camping. There is a purity in that you are forced to keep kit quite minimal because you're going to be carrying that backpack for ten hours a day. The other thing I enjoy is being forced into the moment - if you are always thinking about where you place your feet whilst walking rough ground, then it is impossible to worry about other bits of life at the same time (e.g. job).

Circumstances make wild camping a bit harder at the moment, but I'm glad to have done it. Right now I have to settle for a Saturday afternoon walk in a forest. It isn't as good, but trees are amazing things. Even the times when I've injured myself I've still in some sense felt "better" for that mission into the wild.

RE: Hiking and Backpacking - happyvibe - 08-13-2018

being outdoors does wonders for reducing my anxiety. also i get the best sleep after a day of trekking around. i live in an urban area and its nice to escape to peace and quiet. (although i do worry about snakes and other sounds in the night!)

RE: Hiking and Backpacking - I-carus8045 - 08-13-2018

When I was younger I used to have a fear of camping, or being out in the bush.

Mainly from a wicked uncle who convinced me there was quicksand on a walking path!!]]

but after discussing the matter with a psych it turned out I had a fear of confined spaces!.
So I started buying 8-10 man tents to share with 1 or 2 people, and my tent/bush anxiety was gone Big Grin

Obviously I dont buy those ridiculously complex tents to set up, as that would stress me out more than confinement.

But I bought an easy teepee, Where you unfold a single piece of TARP, put the pole up in the middle, peg it down, then put the rain protecting tarp over the top.

Now I adore camping with all my being. I try to go to a different place every year (Always near beaches, Im a surfie kid). and ive even managed to start sleeping alone in my teepee. But I do love guests!!! its big enough that we can have a little 5-8 person party in there with no discomfort ^_^.

I love the bush. On my most recent trip I was blessed enough to see fyre flies for the first time!!, it was amazing

RE: Hiking and Backpacking - Chicci - 08-15-2018

I am going hiking in Sweden next month. Combined with some rafting.
Hiking and camping in the right environment is perfect to clear my mind.

RE: Hiking and Backpacking - MoJim - 08-21-2018

I just returned from a 10 day loop of camping with my wife and some friends in the Redwoods NP (CA), Olympic NP (WA) and Eastern Oregon. Mostly did short nature walks, but it was great fun. We are really quite pleased with just tent camping with cots. We have had, in the past, a tent trailer and travel trailer. The simplicity of setting up camp and being able to break camp rather quickly is pretty appealing. I think I can set up my whole camp faster than the tent trailer we use to own.

Off to Hawaii (N. Shore Oahu & Molokai) for two weeks in early Sept. Walks on the beach and snorkeling are high priorities for us. On Molokai I'll see what kind of hiking is there. So now I'm off to the sporting goods store for some low cut trail runners or hikers, since my last pair barely survived this last trip.

Summer is almost over and hopefully the heat and fires. The shoulder seasons Spring and Fall are great if you can make time. Our kids are grown, so we do like to plan things when the kids are back in school. The only thing holding us up from spur of the moment adventures is the next two years of my wife's working career.

Chicci, lucky you!!. I plan on returning to Europe in the next year or two and this time it's going to be in the Spring.

RE: Hiking and Backpacking - Linville - 08-21-2018

Sounds fun MoJim.

I would recomend Kauai for hiking and exploring at the islands there.

RE: Hiking and Backpacking - MoJim - 08-22-2018

We have been to Kauai, Maui and the Big Island in the past. Going to Oahu and Molokai will complete our list of visiting all 5 major Hawaiian islands. Kauai was a mixed bag for us when we went, as we stayed in the Princeville area. The snorkeling was terrible, at least compared to Maui. Maybe it was just the time of year we went. Seeing the Grand Canyon of the Pacific and the Na Pali coast was the highlights. We did do some hiking along the cliffs and it was amazing to see wild tropical plants that looked like the common Pothos house plant, but giant sized. The sea cliffs were spectacular, but the one's in Molokai are the highest in the world. Can't wait to jog along the top of them and maybe hike down to Father Damians Historical Leprosy colony.

RE: Hiking and Backpacking - Linville - 08-23-2018

sounds fun of course MoJim