IOPList.Org
Melatonin - Printable Version

+- IOPList.Org (https://www.ioplist.org)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Diet And Supplements (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Melatonin (/showthread.php?tid=5255)

Pages: 1 2 3

Melatonin - Cantique - 04-16-2019

I find this really helpful to take before I go to bed but you aren’t allowed to buy it OTC in my country which I find strange as you can buy huge bottles of it in the US. I’ve never understood why it is controlled like this? Different strokes I suppose. When I look at other threads I see some people in the US struggling to get propananol presribed whereas here you’d have no problem.

RE: Melatonin - holden12 - 04-16-2019

Yeah, your post made me go and research the worst of its side effects because I take 5mg every night. I came up with nothing of significance (esp versus many books and rec. intoxicants that are legal in most places). Sorry, your government doesn't make sense but, as you prob. know, the US has its fair share of irrational policies. Hope you find what you're looking for.

RE: Melatonin - kiki99 - 04-17-2019

(04-16-2019, 11:00 AM)Cantique Wrote: I find this really helpful to take before I go to bed but you aren’t allowed to buy it OTC in my country which I find strange as you can buy huge bottles of it in the US. I’ve never understood why it is controlled like this? Different strokes I suppose. When I look at other threads I see some people in the US struggling to get propananol presribed whereas here you’d have no problem.

Wow, I find melatonin has zero effect on me. You can buy it here at any grocery store, pharmacy, in any strengths. It works wonders for many people, just not me. My doctor is happy to write scripts for propranolol as needed.

RE: Melatonin - Cantique - 04-17-2019

Yes I’m scratching my head as I can’t work it out, there doesn’t seem to be any worrying side effects. Who knows? I’ve only heard of doctors here prescribing it for children with ADHD.

RE: Melatonin - barq2 - 10-08-2019

(04-17-2019, 10:35 AM)Cantique Wrote: I’ve only heard of doctors here prescribing it for children with ADHD.

I know someone who is in that position. As a parent, needing to keep going back to the doctor to get prescriptions is an extra hassle she could do without! Think I heard something about it being useful in certain cases of autism, but I'm not sure how that research turned out.

BTW If you are talking about the UK, I don't think the government is exactly a haven of rationality at the moment! ;-)

RE: Melatonin - Peony13 - 10-10-2019

Are you willing to say what country you are in? Just curious.

I've had psychiatrists tell me melatonin is risky, but I'm not sure what the risks are. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. There is a much stronger RX-only drug, Rozeram, that I have tried, and that doesn't work for me, either. (I have also heard there is an even stronger prescription drug that works on the same neurotransmitter system, but it is only for people who cannot see and therefore have no responsiveness to daylight at all.)

Propanolol is not a controlled substance in the U.S. at all. It is frequently used, sometimes in high doses, to slow heart beat and lower blood pressure. However, that can make it dangerous if taken by people who don't need it. The U.S. tends to make drugs RX-only if the drug poses any serious physical risks, even rare ones. 

Are you having trouble getting melatonin? What would happen if you ordered some on the U.S. Amazon site and had it shipped to you -- does your government inspect packages and punish people who buy medications from overseas?

RE: Melatonin - irie311 - 10-13-2019

isn't rozeram just like melatonin?

RE: Melatonin - inedibleflower - 08-05-2020

Melatonin occurs naturally in the body in small quantities, but yes, increasing your intake by 1mg, 3mg, 5mg, or more is when the additional side effects become apparent, especially when combined with other medications.

It is definitely best to be honest with your doctor (if you're lucky enough to have a compassionate one) that you take it as a sleep aid, and whether or not it works for you.

I find it fascinating how different countries can have various substances freely available versus difficult to prescribe. I would always prefer a natural approach, but it's not for everyone.

RE: Melatonin - Chaitai - 09-25-2020

(08-16-2020, 01:26 AM)fishfarmer Wrote: Cantique, of all the substances available, and your country does not allow Melatonin blows my mind!!! 3mg, the recommended dose for most people, works wonders for me! Accidentally got the 10 mg the first time and had mild hangover, but at 3mg I am golden. Has to be supplement sites that can send it to you, it is dirt cheap as well, and truly a wonder supplement for some folks like me.I take the 3mg NOW brand and on bottle it "claims" to be a free radical scavenger and "supports gastrointestinal function" I buy it at the grocery store for about 55cents a capsule. Sorry to advise you to take your search elsewhere as I have never seen it on a single site at IOP (Could be wrong)- You will find it easily and doubt your customs will bother you? Let us know-FF

yes this also seems like a joke because m3lat0nin is naturally occurring in your body and usually is used for jet lag i know a few people who travel for business constantly and rely on this to reset the biological clock you should be able to find this very easily the only thing i can suggest is to not abuse it or anything that is naturally occurring in your body as what ends up happening is your body will eventually stop producing this as you are getting it from another source the best suggestion i can give is to take try to take it when you really need something
suffering from insomnia and have spent a lot of time finding proper material that helps also at fishfarmer taking 10 mg and having a hang over you have to know that m3latonin also increases your overall sleep time and how long you stay asleep these are words directly from the b0ttle so what most likely happened is that you increased your sleep time but also over slept
M3latonin is naturally created in your body at night time this is exactly what makes people sleepy so take it a few hours before bed instead of right when you go to bed wishing you the best on your journey

RE: Melatonin - seeker47 - 09-27-2020

I’ve been on melanotan 10mg for nearly 8 years nightly. No negative effects and definitely helps me sleep. Many brands are trash/fake though even over the counter. Don’t want to break rules by putting out brand names on here though.