Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What would happen?
Hey everyone. 

I know I only have like 30odd posts (ok maybe 70odd before that glitch put me back to 0 [just making myself sound more important  Tongue ]) but this place means a lot to me.

Everyone seems to respect each other, we have Mods & Admin keeping us safe (as we all know) and most of all, we have somewhere we trust!  Somewhere when we can go when we are 'in need'...of...whatever and know for a fact we will get quality advice.
I definitely do not take this place for granted.
I know I'm probably repeating what has been said by many before me but...
I fear the day I wake up or get home from work and type in www.ioplist.org and get the dreaded "The server cannot be found" message.

Now- I don't know much about why or how websites get shut down, I don't know if it could even happen to this site? I don't know if the website owners/ runners/ Mods/ Admin have it sorted somehow, or its out of their hands, I really have no idea. 
All I know is we've seen and heard about it happen to other sites and I'd HATE it to happen to this place!
I'm sure we all would!

So back to the topic: "What would happen?"
- I assume some of you would be able to get back in contact with one another, but I'd lose contact with everyone. Also all year invaluable information, it's not even nice to think about.

Maybe I don't know yet because I hadn't reached 50 posts, maybe there is a 'put your email
Address here' thread already started? - like a sort of 'underground bunker' thread for worst case scenario.
Maybe not, I have no idea.

So...What would you do if this site (touch wood) suddenly disappeared? 
Or is it a stupid question?
Actually that is a good question... We all "live on the edge" so to speak, that is why most (if not all) our forum is not seen by outsiders..

As far as an "email" thread... I guess that would be up to the indivual whether or not to divulge their info...

Maybe we need a "plan B".... Better minds than mine can hash this out...

Ice
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
Yeah Ice we sure are living on the edge!
Sorry about all my ^Typos^ - I hate autocorrect on the iPhone! - in fact I'm turning it off!
But yeah, we kinda are all "living on the edge"...in 2 ways...
Some of us live on the edge day to day AND this website aids our quantum of solace - like our go to, to go to...
Much love to you all.
(12-22-2015, 06:14 PM)Insomnia_Sucks Wrote: [edit]
I fear the day I wake up or get home from work and type in www.ioplist.org and get the dreaded "The server cannot be found" message.

Now- I don't know much about why or how websites get shut down, I don't know if it could even happen to this site? I don't know if the website owners/ runners/ Mods/ Admin have it sorted somehow, or its out of their hands, I really have no idea. 
All I know is we've seen and heard about it happen to other sites and I'd HATE it to happen to this place!
I'm sure we all would!

So back to the topic: "What would happen?"
- I assume some of you would be able to get back in contact with one another, but I'd lose contact with everyone. Also all year invaluable information, it's not even nice to think about.

Maybe I don't know yet because I hadn't reached 50 posts, maybe there is a 'put your email
Address here' thread already started? - like a sort of 'underground bunker' thread for worst case scenario.
Maybe not, I have no idea.

So...What would you do if this site (touch wood) suddenly disappeared? 
Or is it a stupid question?

It is a good question. Many of us have been through quite a few forums that either turned bad or vanished. A kind friend brought me here after "the other place" closed. I trust Admin to keep this place as safe as is reasonably possible - but no one can do everything. If a domain or server is seized, there isn't much to be done.

A few people have my email address, and once I have reached enough posts I'll contact a few extra people just in case. Short of having an official "life raft" I think that is the best we can do. The only alternative I can think of would be a pastebin type website where anyone can add an email address, but there are lots of security problems with that. Anyone got a better idea?

I very much hope the day never comes when this site won't load. I had a panic the other day, but it turned out to be my internet!  Wink

Long live IOPlist.ORG!
Idea A very good question indeed....

There have in the past large forums go down and many people lost contact with each other , in a friends sort of way.

That is one reason it is good to exchange mails with people on a forum jus in case the worst happens.

It can be done through PM. and I think maybe should be done with friends and maybe for the ones that dont talk often just email every now and then to keep links live.

Networking of the people is an important thing.
....Hmmmm

Good thread to continue with.......ideas and such and what if's.  Idea
anyone whom talked with me in my private email, they r the ones i have the email addresses of.

but, as fireplaces stated somewhere, it is deemed "wrong" to contact people if a forum goes down, even for a month, and, then a few of u gather at some spot together.

it often is misconstrued to be stealing members, even from a defunct forum, to make a new one.

so, here, i invited almost no one.

but, get a few real emails. it will help.

that way u can hear what is going on. Find a new home.

and, i hate to say it, but so called rival forums really enjoyed posting up our new forum, in between the put downs of us.

(for example: Evil Tester posted our site up again and again till he disappeared.)

Not to worry. Get a few Pioneer members emails. Or a few whom post a good deal.

This way u won't be lost in the future. k?
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Ok... Lookie here...

I'll start this ball a rollin cause I couldn't give a good "flip" if anybody has my email addy...

Let's see.. Not that one.. Or that one... Ahhh But of coarse.... Ye ole "standard email...

IceWizard@Gmail

Anybody that needs it use, it ...

Look I'm NOT in anyway trying to get anyone to "jump ship"... This is the only "ship" I have.... Just if you want, you can get a hold of me and just maybe Charon would have told me what was going on and I could spread the word so to speak...

Now don't be stalkin me or postin it a bus stops or even public bathrooms for God's sake...

Ice
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
I wanted to post something here some time before I actually write down these words. E-mails may prove helpful in case the ship starts to sink but it is a strict personal information that must never fall to the wrong hands. So the core of a forum must have alternatives and if there is a need they must have the option to bypass a shot down of an online forum a core must survive and decide if and when things will be better for a new start. The fear is that we don't give easy any info that may turn against us except if he have blind trust to those who handle such data. It is my humble opinion from real incidents and a lifetime experience. We wish to be stalked or hacked. Anonymity is valid as gold sometimes .