Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why, Do People Become Addicted?
(06-19-2016, 02:01 AM)germanshepherd Wrote: Put simply, people become addicted because they are uncomfortable sober. Whether it be anxiety, pain, depression, the causes are simple and similar. There may also be a genetic and environmental aspect to it, but all of those explanations can get quite complicated. GS

+1 on this. I've known people who can take anything, even highly addictive substances and never even care to take it again. While on the other hand I've known people to experiment with something and it go downhill really, really quick. There's most definitely a genetic and environmental component to it. It all depends on the person. Everyone is different.
why SOME people became addictive . For example, I am not an addictive person, I can take 3 month of Xanax and then not take it for a year. It all depend on each person and, of course.
When I hear things like " Xanax is worst that H " I just laught really hard.
I also was thinking that reducing the level of emotional pain can be a cause.
That is a really interesting read. I've always loved psychology. The Portugal experiment really  blows my mind. I've often thought that we should spend way less on prisons and much more on rehabilitation just so that when released they can have a chance at a real life. But I can't believe how brainwashed I have been to the assumption that it is just up to that person to make the right decisions. What if we could actually change the environments so that so many people wouldn't need to fill holes in their heart. I've seen how the tough love goes. Lost loved ones to it. Never understood why. Honestly I blamed them for turning back to it after doing everything I could do to help. When maybe all they really needed was a new environment and more love. Addiction is hard on everyone. The addict. The loved ones. The children. I don't know whose hurt more. But I think there should be a lot more studies and re-education about addiction. And while we're at it better our communities and eradicate the environments that nurture addiction. No you can't fight a war on drugs. People are going to do what they want to. But people might make different choices if they had better options. I truly do believe that children are our future. It's all about family. I hope everyone that read this article takes a little more time to show their loved ones just how much they truly care. Great article and replies. I learn something new everyday. Thank you!
I got addicted to benz0s. I needed them for anxiety and panic attacks but I did eventually start what would be classed as abusing them. I ended up 8-9mg of @lps or 120mg di@z, per day. Using the Ashton manual, I've now cut down to 30mg di@z. I took longer than expected to get this far down but it's minimised side effects.

I got addicted by upping my dose when it wasn't necessary. My advice would be always stick to the smallest amount possible.
Congrats to YOU Zippo.
Zippo, that's brilliant progress. Don't worry about the time it takes - it isn't a race. The main thing is you are going in the right direction.

I agree with the various comments linking addiction to emotional pain. M Scott Peck (of "The Road Less Travelled" fame - one of the earlier and better self-help books) described his own liking of alcohol as "knocking the edge off consciousness". I think that resonates with some people who are anxious, traumatised, or are suffering.

I've been thinking a lot about what psychologists call delayed gratification recently. You can do a little test with young children, the choice is one piece of candy now, or two if they wait five minutes. Those who can delay really do end up doing better in life in so many ways. I think some of my addictive problems have been about instant gratification. "I'm stressed from work, so I'm going to have a drink now."

I also remember some years ago a therapist almost tearing his hair out due to my inability to explore emotions then and there. I'd talk about them as if they were happening to someone else. I'm sure that avoidance and unwillingness to sit with emotions has been part of the mix for me.

Does anyone have similar experiences? Or are we all different in our addictions?

barq
Well done, indeed, zip.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

well then comes the question , is it addiction if you are under doctors care or therapists as you mentioned barq

BTW barq, you put a lot of thoughts that could be really explored / expanded on into your post.

they might only look at it as addiction if you are not paying some doc of some sort, hmmmm

I still think there is some hereditary aspect and then what you experience that needs the pain of it dulled or stopped from hurting so bad.
But the field is so wide open ...
But we are supposed to feel feelings right but some just are too painful.....so reach for something
we all have battles that I do not doubt, of some sort or another.
(01-12-2017, 04:48 PM)Linville Wrote: well then comes the question , is it addiction if you are under doctors care or therapists as you mentioned barq

I think the lines between addiction, dependence, habitual use, abuse, etc. are all pretty blurry. But if your body and mind recoil in agony when you stop taking a substance, you are probably addicted to it. Dr's orders or otherwise. And recovery is probably most difficult for people who take meds for legit medical conditions because the withdrawal can make those original conditions a lot worse. And the exact meds someone is trying to quit can be the only thing that offers relief.