Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vitamin D
Rickets was very common in Northern countries. Not enough sun touching skin during close to 6 months every year. And not enough sources of calcium.

It is one of the rare sicknesses that are never seen in even the poorest countries under the tropics.

Then, local authorities decided to supplement milk with Vitamin D. It still is.
The first half of the 20th century was also a time when soft drinks were introduced and cost a lot less than milk. Dairy production began to be subsidized, milk was distributed for free every morning to every child in grade schools, and nobody suffers from rickets any more around here.

I know, I know, milk and dairy in general have become less popular, even controversial. This is, please, not a discussion I want to have.

The fact remains that Vitamin D is far better metabolized by the skin than absorbed in the intestinal tract.

Also, Vitamin D needs to be combined with a fatty food to be absorbed efficiently.
Came across this by accident, thank you i need to top up on my levels im popping to holland and barret tomorrow and getting some. My blood tests always show low levels, its strange as even after taking 40,000 iu every couple of days for a week before my test it still showed low and the vit d was high quality im now thinking if im the ones that have the gene or i forgot what the precursor is but some peoples bodies just have a much harder time producing enough vit d i think its also linked to how much calcium and magnesium you take in but i read it somewhere in a medical journal

Thanks for the thread guys!
QF
Success!
To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
(01-24-2020, 07:58 AM)quickfix Wrote: Came across this by accident, thank you i need to top up on my levels im popping to holland and barret tomorrow and getting some. My blood tests always show low levels, its strange as even after taking 40,000 iu every couple of days for a week before my test it still showed low and the vit d was high quality im now thinking if im the ones that have the gene or i forgot what the precursor is but some peoples bodies just have a much harder time producing enough vit d i think its also linked to how much calcium and magnesium you take in but i read it somewhere in a medical journal

Thanks for the thread guys!
QF
 4000 ui ? that is a lot, weird. Did you tried other brand ? mine were bad too ( 40 % lower than the lower limit ) and after 2 months with 10000 ui daily , where like 80 % higher . Now I am using 10000 ui every other day.
I am not sure of the brand i was using but it was a liquid spray from holland and barret you use orally each spray gives you a dose of 3,000iu apparently its supposed to be very high in bio availability. I'm going to buy the other one the members are recommending which has 5,000 iu i may be low on calcium and magnesium which both are important in the absorption of vit d. I pretty much avoid the sun all year round, and if i must i use spf50 and stay in the shade. My dermatologist suggested i do this to slow down the signs of aging after a course of treatments i had, but my other doctor keeps saying your low on vit d every time i get my check up so to please both and will look for a good supplement.
Success!
To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.