Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever Had a Seizure? Please Share Your Experience.
Yes I had a seizure. I was on a bus in the middle of the country when suddenly an EMT was talking to me. She was saying, "You had a seizure. You probably are confused and don't know where you are, but you are OK. Your memory will return in a bit. We are taking you to a hospital." She calmed me down because I truly didn't know what was going on. My memory started to come back - at first I didn't even know who I was - but after about an hour or so I felt about normal. I don't remember anything leading up to the seizure for about an hour, but I clearly remember the ambulance ride to the hospital.

Well, it turns out that I had a documented reaction to the combination of two prescribed drugs - citalopram (Celexa) and Tramodol. Both were prescribed to me by the VA, and the Dr. had to bypass a warning message to add the Celexa to my drug list. I had been taking Tramadol for years. Unbelievable, as he didn't bring it up at the time and there were other SSRIs that could have been prescribed that don't have that negative reaction with Tramadol. Scary stuff for sure.

I would advise anyone who takes Tramadol to look at drug interactions, as this medicine has a tough time with many SSRIs. Unfortunately, I know of other Veterans who had seizures for the same reason. One guy had a seizure the very first time he took Tramadol on top of Celexa, but admitted to me that he took more Tramadol than the prescribed amount. Be safe out there. -dc

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ever Had a Seizure? Please Share Your Experience. - by dudcat - 05-05-2017, 01:51 PM