Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
What do you collect as a hobby?
When I was younger, I collected Rocks. My dad worked at the Smithsonian and I was always allowed to hang out behind the scenes with the archaeologists. It was so cool, and I still have my wonderful rock collection to this day. I'm still fascinated by rocks and their natural beauty and makeup. I collected coins at one point...I just liked the differences of coins/money when compared to other coins in other countries. I'm not really sure what I actively collect now, but I was cleaning out my closet and realized that I have 4 of those Samsonite Silhouette vintage train cases from years ago. I just love the idea of them, the little trays that come out and the little mirror and pockets inside of them. I started collecting them so I could paint them with more modern/abstract designs on them, but I haven't yet probably because I just kind of treasure their history, and wonder about who owned them in a previous life! I cleaned one up today and am going to bring it with me when I head out to the beach. I'm bringing it back, y'all! So, that's my collection story! What fun or odd collections do you have? I'd love to hear about them! Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-09-2017, 01:51 AM)ComeDayGoDay Wrote: When I was younger, I collected Rocks. My dad worked at the Smithsonian and I was always allowed to hang out behind the scenes with the archaeologists. It was so cool, and I still have my wonderful rock collection to this day. I'm still fascinated by rocks and their natural beauty and makeup. I collected coins at one point...I just liked the differences of coins/money when compared to other coins in other countries. I'm not really sure what I actively collect now, but I was cleaning out my closet and realized that I have 4 of those Samsonite Silhouette vintage train cases from years ago. I just love the idea of them, the little trays that come out and the little mirror and pockets inside of them. I started collecting them so I could paint them with more modern/abstract designs on them, but I haven't yet probably because I just kind of treasure their history, and wonder about who owned them in a previous life! I cleaned one up today and am going to bring it with me when I head out to the beach. I'm bringing it back, y'all! So, that's my collection story! What fun or odd collections do you have? I'd love to hear about them! Smile

I haven't been collectin' anything for awhile. Just the opposite. I've been tryin' to lighten my load after movin' and seeing how much junk I had. PHEW!

I use to collect match book's and also had a huge beer can collection. Seems now days all I collect is dust Big Grin
Collectin' is fun, but it can get outta hand sometimes.

Cricket
I seem to collect pets lol. In the past I have collected different things but now that I'm a little older I have too much crap!

I used to love to collect matchbooks but they are hard to find so I do still grab some when I see them somewhere.
Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. ~ Mark Twain
I have a dormant coin collection. Mostly USA.
Try to collect music i like .
Cool places to travel articles and when I get to go there I can pitch it.

Good Thread.

I will add something later to it.
Yeah, I guess collections can sometimes happen without even realizing it. We have so many nice brewery pint glasses from "free pint nights". But we use them. It's a bummer if they break, but it's not a big deal.

My other half uses to collect old time poison bottles/medicine bottles. Glass, dark colored! Very cool!

I still try to print all my photographs, does that count as a collection? Man, I have so many....

I used to collect Pillsbury Doughbuy merchandise. Still have most of it. My prized possession is some uncut valentines that were never distributed.

MCS
I forgot, I keep all my concert ticket stubs although it's harder now that so may are electronic. Old ticket stubs are cool souvenirs.
Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. ~ Mark Twain
(06-12-2017, 04:39 PM)reilli Wrote: I forgot, I keep all my concert ticket stubs although it's harder now that so may are electronic. Old ticket stubs are cool souvenirs.

I have a bunch of those too. All the way from the 80's. I framed a few of my favorites for my podcast studio.

MCS
I used to collect postage stamps, old lighters even old newspapers and magazines. It seems now that I have an idea stuck in my head and I started to collect pills, yes antibiotics and some pk's and sedatives or antipsychotics all expired long ago. It is a crazy idea but I would like to have a sort of album or library of medicines sorted by company and form. Maybe I like seeing this as a lifetime effort after some years and I am sure my idea is prototype since I haven't heard of any pill collection around.
(06-12-2017, 07:43 PM)nickolyko Wrote: I used to collect postage stamps, old lighters even old newspapers and magazines. It seems now that I have an idea stuck in my head and I started to collect pills, yes antibiotics and some pk's and sedatives or antipsychotics all expired long ago. It is a crazy idea but I would like to have a sort of album or library of medicines sorted by company and form. Maybe I like seeing this as a lifetime effort after some years and I am sure my idea is prototype since I haven't heard of any pill collection around.

I don't think it's crazy at all to collect pills. It's a collection for survival when no one will help us but ourselves. They make it so hard to get our meds the "legal" way, that we have to be our own doctors and pharmacies.
I consider anyone that is able to have a supply saved up is a rich person.

Cricket