Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
What do you collect as a hobby?
(06-13-2017, 01:07 AM)Mystical Wrote: Retro toys from the 1980's and vintage arcade and pinball machines from my childhood. Yes I'm a dork, I know. lol

Wow! I would love to play at your place! I love the old FisherPrice toys, wooden...slightly dangerous! I kind of dream about having pinball machines also, but man...they are pricey! One day when I have some splace and a "playroom" maybe! So fun, not dorky!

(06-12-2017, 04:39 PM)reilli Wrote: I forgot, I keep all my concert ticket stubs although it's harder now that so may are electronic. Old ticket stubs are cool souvenirs.

Oooh yeah! I went through some of mine about a month ago...and I can't believe some of the bigger ticket people I saw that were $15-$20...which included ticket taxes and whatever....who would now go for $100 and up! It's such a shame that concerts are so pricey! I found one I wanted to check out tickets for a couple days ago and the CHEAPEST is $60 for seats alllllllll the way in the back. Really sad....live music is so wonderful! I went to so many show! ha ha

(06-13-2017, 01:07 AM)Mystical Wrote: Retro toys from the 1980's and vintage arcade and pinball machines from my childhood. Yes I'm a dork, I know. lol

What's wrong with dorks? lol I collect a lot of 80's Nintendo NES games and SCIFI stuff, the usual Start Trek, Star Wars and Stargate stuff. Vintage watches as well. Feel like buying a Twilight Zone pinball machine?? haha trying to move and lighten the load
47           "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" - The Joker           47
(06-23-2017, 12:50 AM)nj42086 Wrote:

What's wrong with dorks? lol I collect a lot of 80's Nintendo NES games and SCIFI stuff, the usual Start Trek, Star Wars and Stargate stuff. Vintage watches as well. Feel like buying a Twilight Zone pinball machine?? haha trying to move and lighten the load

Right on, unfortunately I have been having to sell my collections of toys (77' and up Star Wars, Star Trek, and Marvel and DC toys (the dolls, before they came out with the 3.75" action figure) and my Sega Master System and NES/Gameboy games, as well as comics, anime, manga on e-bay because moneys tight, but that is what I did collect. That vintage vinyl and rare music, which I haven't had the heart to sell yet. Anyway Dorks rule, as long as you aren't the kind that would steal a Darth Vader mask and trick rape the popular preppies girlfriend ala "Revenge of the Nerds" you are good in my book. Us dorks, geeks, nerds etc. missed our time. Now it is cool to be smart. In the 80's everyone wanted to be Judd Nelson from The Breakfast Club, now my kids are cooler at school the smarter and dorkier they are. Things are so different now, go figure. And what do I collect now you ask? Mainly dust.
“When they said, repent, I wonder what they meant.” - Leonard Cohen RIP
(06-29-2017, 07:52 PM)skipper1 Wrote:
(06-12-2017, 04:39 PM)reilli Wrote: I forgot, I keep all my concert ticket stubs although it's harder now that so may are electronic. Old ticket stubs are cool souvenirs.

That is so funny, I just found my collection dating back to late 70's, I don't remember half of them lol so it's nice to have a reminder that, Hey... you saw them..I thought i was the only one who kept the old concert tix....

I have all of my concert tickets from my youth too. My Nirvana, (w/ Meat Puppets and Outrage) stub is my most prized possession. I also have Skid Row, Pantera, Black Crowes, Jerry Garcia Band, Rolling Stones W/ the Pretenders, and two Metallica's, (I know, I am old) but none of them come close to Kurt. The only problem is the ink is fading, even in the protective plastic. Any suggestion on stopping this?
“When they said, repent, I wonder what they meant.” - Leonard Cohen RIP
(06-09-2017, 01:51 AM)ComeDayGoDay Wrote: When I was younger, I collected Rocks. My dad worked at the Smithsonian and I was always allowed to hang out behind the scenes with the archaeologists. It was so cool, and I still have my wonderful rock collection to this day. I'm still fascinated by rocks and their natural beauty and makeup. I collected coins at one point...I just liked the differences of coins/money when compared to other coins in other countries. I'm not really sure what I actively collect now, but I was cleaning out my closet and realized that I have 4 of those Samsonite Silhouette vintage train cases from years ago. I just love the idea of them, the little trays that come out and the little mirror and pockets inside of them. I started collecting them so I could paint them with more modern/abstract designs on them, but I haven't yet probably because I just kind of treasure their history, and wonder about who owned them in a previous life! I cleaned one up today and am going to bring it with me when I head out to the beach. I'm bringing it back, y'all! So, that's my collection story! What fun or odd collections do you have? I'd love to hear about them! Smile

I have one of these. A bit older. It was my Grandmas.

I collected shot glasses when I was a kid.
I think I collect hobbies.
- They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but if you don't go to the doctor for regular checkups, you're bananas. 
I use to collect shot glasses from everywhere I travelled but when I moved I just gave them all to Goodwill ...would like some of them back now!
I too used to collect things... Shot glasses... Coins ... Even stamps (for a minute)

But what I truly like is antiques, especially glassware... Flow Blue being top shelf for me.. I have plenty of the carnival glass and Vaseline, but my prize is some Flow Blue china from England... Melsary (sp) pattern over 100 yo and not a scratch.. The only place I've been able to find it is in a museum and I have 36 pcs Smile If I'm not mistaken, the place that made this stuff, burnt down many many years ago...

Oh yeah. btw... My SO is bound to love antiques as well, cause she's got me (collected of coarse) Smile

Ice
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
I collect playbills from every play and musical I've ever seen. They are piled up in a suitcase under my bed. Sometimes I pull it out and look through them. Smile
I collect 1st edition books, but know a days with the kindle I juts torrrnt and download haha. But if there’s a book I’m in love with, I will try hunting down the original copy
This is a great thread and so interesting to see the diversity of what we collect. I overlap with some of you a bit. I wish I had kept tickets from concerts! But I do have a box with programs from going to the theater (including The Edinburgh Fringe). There are a lot of A List actors who I've seen perform on stage.

I have a large collection of 12" vinyl records, mostly 12" singles, mainly dance music from the 90s. When I was a student I paid the bills by working as a DJ in various nightclubs. On a technical level I wasn't the best DJ, but I was reliable (e.g. didn't turn up drunk or on drugs), and could fill a dancefloor. So I found myself being hired to warm up for famous DJs. Once you have a "residency" at a reasonable size nightclub, that gets you on the promo list for record companies. So I'd free records arriving by mail most days (to the point I seriously investigated getting a bigger mail box to fit 12" records!). Many were rubbish. But among them are promos of hit records. In some cases they were a different mix or arrangement to the version that got commercially released. Ironically a vinyl record stamped "Promo use only, not for re-sale" only makes it more valuable. I've seen some of these on ebay for $200, 300, even 400 dollars. I'm not selling because they remind me of fun times. There isn't much left of that era. Most of the nightclubs have gone. I have no flyers or tickets that mention my name, and only two photos of me DJing.

In the long term I want to find the really unique records, like tracks that never got a commercial release, and find a way of making them available without getting sued about copyright!