Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
What do you collect as a hobby?
Great Thread ComeDayGoDay:

I collect Meteorites and I have some very unique specimens in my collection. I have filled two wall cases with my collection so far. I have focused on more recent falls 2000 - Present since there were some very, very beautiful, un-weathered stones available from these more recent falls. I have, of course, been focused on the collecting everything I can afford from the Russian Chelyabinsk (witnessed and documented fall) for the last couple years.

This is not an inexpensive hobby, but I much prefer collecting space rocks which have roamed the solar system for billions of years vs. terrestrial gems and minerals. Both possess a special beauty, but meteorites tell of the creation of the universe and I think of that every time I hold one in my hand. 

Raven
(11-30-2017, 04:56 AM)Raven Wrote: I collect Meteorites and I have some very unique specimens in my collection. I have filled two wall cases with my collection so far. I have focused on more recent falls 2000 - Present since there were some very, very beautiful, un-weathered stones available from these more recent falls. I have, of course, been focused on the collecting everything I can afford from the Russian Chelyabinsk (witnessed and documented fall) for the last couple years.

This is not an inexpensive hobby, but I much prefer collecting space rocks which have roamed the solar system for billions of years vs. terrestrial gems and minerals. Both possess a special beauty, but meteorites tell of the creation of the universe and I think of that every time I hold one in my hand.

Wow! That's a really interesting hobby. Are they difficult to obtain (I mean authentic ones)? Can you get large pieces of meteorites, or do they break them down into much smaller specimens? To fill a couple of wall cases you must have quite a serious collection!

I can see why you are so interested by things that have roamed around in space. I've always been attracted to stuff that has been into space. So was lucky enough to visit a museum with some of the early space capsules sent into orbit by Russia. Knowing that this thing was actually in space and then had a fiery entry into our atmosphere was amazing. Sadly I couldn't touch any of the artefacts, unlike your meteorites which you can hold.
Yeah, interesting everyone posting.

Raven, one morning walking into work gosh it has been 20 years ago now I saw a meteorite streaking across the sky.
It was very unusual to see and it was not during an astroid shower time.

I felt like I was very lucky to see it.

I am sure it burned up before any of it landed on earth.

anyway . I will remember that sight.
For the record I collect Records hahaha terrible dad joke. True though.
Barq My Friend:

I love my meteorite collection. It is enshrined in my bedroom in a series of two lighted display cases. My Chelyabinsk meteorites have their own case and I value them greatly (and not just because I spent so much $$ on them).

There is a large listing of meteorites on eBay. Try to buy from an IMCA certified seller if you can. I suggest starting with the most popular iron stone from Russia known as Sikhote Alan. There were many, many meteorites generated from this fall and some can be had for very reasonable prices. It's an easy way to see if the hobby appeals to you.

PM me if you want to discuss meteorite collecting in more detail.

Take Care
Blackbird

Linville:

I would love to witness a large meteor streaking across the sky at dawn as you have. I did get up at 3:00 am to try to photograph the great Leonid Meteor shower a few years back and I got some great pics. The meteors were falling at the rate of ten or more per minute and I was just totally blown away. I think that event is why I started collecting meteorites.

I have, however, been most impressed by the Russian Meteorite Chelyabinsk, mostly due to the fact that it was extensively recorded on video, and the fact that is caused actual injuries to people as well as property damage. Here is a link to my favorite video of the shockwave created by the explosion of this massive stone in our atmosphere.

See it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvnrGzo8ljI (turn up the volume for the full experience)

Raven
Baseball cards. Have several thousand's from the late 50's to the late 60's. Bought each one in a bubble gum pack, then flipped against other's to try to increase my collection. Such innocent and magical times compared to today.
Now I.m afraid, that I collect more dust than most anything,,
(but at least no body bitches on just who got to keep it)

Big Grin Smile
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
I collect super rare Guns N' Roses posters, autographs, and vintage shirts. I have a pretty big collection. Actually i'm considering listing some of it on EBay because it's starting to get a bit excessive. Lol
Well I jumped into the river to many times to make it home...

(12-06-2017, 03:47 AM)Raven Wrote: Barq My Friend:

I love my meteorite collection. It is enshrined in my bedroom in a series of two lighted display cases. My Chelyabinsk meteorites have their own case and I value them greatly (and not just because I spent so much $$ on them).

There is a large listing of meteorites on eBay. Try to buy from an IMCA certified seller if you can. I suggest starting with the most popular iron stone from Russia known as Sikhote Alan. There were many, many meteorites generated from this fall and some can be had for very reasonable prices. It's an easy way to see if the hobby appeals to you.

Hi Raven,

It is extremely interesting to hear about. I can absolutely understand the attraction, but if I started collecting anything else I think I'd run out of space and money! ;-) Still it is tempting to have something that came from outer space...

The closest I have to a meteorite, is a sample of "trinite" which is from the very first a-bomb test (called Trinity, hence the name). The test in 1945 New Mexico caused the sandy ground to fuse into a glass type substance. It has a green tinge, possibly from all the copper wiring, and is mildy radioactive. Soon after the test it would have been dangerously radioactive, but that decayed over the years and it is now just a weak alpha emitter, so being in a plastic box is quite sufficient to protect it and me.

You can buy it on ebay, but there are a lot of fakes.
(12-19-2017, 11:29 AM)barq- Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 03:47 AM)Raven Wrote: Barq My Friend:

Hi Raven,

It is extremely interesting to hear about. I can absolutely understand the attraction, but if I started collecting anything else I think I'd run out of space and money! ;-) Still it is tempting to have something that came from outer space...

The closest I have to a meteorite, is a sample of "trinite" which is from the very first a-bomb test (called Trinity, hence the name). The test in 1945 New Mexico caused the sandy ground to fuse into a glass type substance. It has a green tinge, possibly from all the copper wiring, and is mildy radioactive. Soon after the test it would have been dangerously radioactive, but that decayed over the years and it is now just a weak alpha emitter, so being in a plastic box is quite sufficient to protect it and me.

You can buy it on ebay, but there are a lot of fakes.
Hey B,
How did I know that you would have the coolest hobby on earth?