Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
What do you collect as a hobby?
Does anyone collect High School and College Yearbooks? I have a few hundred that I have amassed over the years. I think that my oldest one is from 1903. Most are from the 40's and 50's, but I have a lot of current ones, as well. I look at them as if they were tiny time capsules. I like to read the kids remarks on culture, politics, and check out the fashions and hairstyles of the day, whatever. I know that its not a popular hobby because a 100 year old yearbook could be had for around $5. lol. I still enjoy it, though.
I used to collect trinkets from many lands...postcards from a more peaceful time.

Now I collect reports and referrals from professionals that refuse to fix the underlying issues in a safe manner.

I do collect anti-dep samples you just can't leave an office these days without them cramming them down your throat also collect scripts for expensive untested poisons that I will never fill.

I also unintentionally collect very high maintenance people in my personal life...sigh. 

Also, used to collect what was rare music "b" sides and the like but the internet made that practically valueless as a hobby.

I guess what I collect mostly is dust (as mentioned above) and arterial plaque and headaches Smile
(12-14-2017, 10:04 AM)IceWizard Wrote: Now I.m afraid, that I collect more dust than most anything,,
(but at least no body bitches on just who got to keep it)

Big Grin Smile

Haha!! My SO says that we collect cobwebs because then we won't have to decorate for Halloween! Big Grin

(12-24-2017, 02:02 PM)Rafterman Wrote:
(12-19-2017, 11:29 AM)barq- Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 03:47 AM)Raven Wrote: Barq My Friend:

I love my meteorite collection. It is enshrined in my bedroom in a series of two lighted display cases. My Chelyabinsk meteorites have their own case and I value them greatly (and not just because I spent so much $$ on them).

There is a large listing of meteorites on eBay. Try to buy from an IMCA certified seller if you can. I suggest starting with the most popular iron stone from Russia known as Sikhote Alan. There were many, many meteorites generated from this fall and some can be had for very reasonable prices. It's an easy way to see if the hobby appeals to you.

PM me if you want to discuss meteorite collecting in more detail.

Hi Raven,

It is extremely interesting to hear about. I can absolutely understand the attraction, but if I started collecting anything else I think I'd run out of space and money! ;-) Still it is tempting to have something that came from outer space...

The closest I have to a meteorite, is a sample of "trinite" which is from the very first a-bomb test (called Trinity, hence the name). The test in 1945 New Mexico caused the sandy ground to fuse into a glass type substance. It has a green tinge, possibly from all the copper wiring, and is mildy radioactive. Soon after the test it would have been dangerously radioactive, but that decayed over the years and it is now just a weak alpha emitter, so being in a plastic box is quite sufficient to protect it and me.

You can buy it on ebay, but there are a lot of fakes.
Hey B,
How did I know that you would have the coolest hobby on earth?
How very cool! I never thought about collecting meteorites. I collect rocks and minerals, and don't know how to display them. I have collected them since I was little, as my father worked with many scientist who were able to get their hands on such things, so I got samples of the cut rocks and petrified wood, etc...I need to find a nice way to show them off.

Tarot Decks.
I even collect 'back-up' decks of editions I already own.....just in case. Rolleyes
My oldest deck was published in 1935 and I'm generally not interested in decks from the 90's on.
People often assume that my collection allows me privileged access to their Future.    Nope.
My initial intention was to use the cards as a tool to improve my memory. 78 cards, 78 different stories and vocabularies.
That somehow morphed into collecting decks from the different Mystery Schools....and then the collecting got serious. Blush

Along the way I innocently wandered into the History of Tarot - which makes for hysterically funny reading.
One group insisting that the pictures were discovered on the walls of Initiation Chambers deep inside a Secret Egyptian Pyramid. Big Grin
Another that The Gypsies introduced them as they traveled through Spain or through India or through  .... *insert your favorite country here*.
Others believe that Spiritual Masters hid Cosmic Truths in the symbols on the cards, and, fearing the flock would wander off, the Catholic Church rebranded tarot as the Work of the Devil. Sleepy 
The 'history' is fabulously discordant and features some of the best paranoid conspiracy theories ever invented.

Back to the decks, some of them are now worth considerably more than what I paid for them only a decade ago.
Not that I'll be parting with any of them. Ever.
I only do 'readings' for people when I'm feeling particularly mischievous.
And Yes, invariably he will be tall dark and handsome and rich.  And your Lotto numbers are...... hold on, the signal is breaking up....
There's a difference between having an opinion and having an informed opinion.
Does anyone collect cars? Not like Ferrari's, but something affordable and neat?
I collect cars and music.  Anyone else collect cars?  They don't necessarily have to run.  My uncle has a 68 Mustang on blocks that he swears he's going to restore.  That was almost 20 years ago he started that project.  It's now in pieces except the motor and body/frame.  That's how far he got.

My other uncle has a 2003 Corvette Convertible that he's always tinkering with.   Loves that car, but it's an automatic.  ugh.   Angry
(01-20-2018, 07:04 PM)masterthief Wrote: I collect cars and music.  Anyone else collect cars?  They don't necessarily have to run.  My uncle has a 68 Mustang on blocks that he swears he's going to restore.  That was almost 20 years ago he started that project.  It's now in pieces except the motor and body/frame.  That's how far he got.

My other uncle has a 2003 Corvette Convertible that he's always tinkering with.   Loves that car, but it's an automatic.  ugh.   Angry

Totally agree, masterthief.
A 'vette without a stick is like Schwarzenegger without muscles or the Mona Lisa with a moustache. Some things just naturally go together and some just don't.  RM
Not my Hobby. But I suppose you could say I collect sneakers. They call us Sneaker Heads. There is a culture of people that Buy/Sell/Trade sneakers. Many times they will be a different year or discontinued. Most of these haven't been worn. But break out a new one every once in a while. I guess you can't drop a picture in this thread so here is a pic of what I keep in my closet.

https://imgur.com/a/OU5kI
- They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but if you don't go to the doctor for regular checkups, you're bananas. 
(01-24-2018, 08:34 PM)Woodhouse Wrote: Not my Hobby. But I suppose you could say I collect sneakers. They call us Sneaker Heads. There is a culture of people that Buy/Sell/Trade sneakers. Many times they will be a different year or discontinued.  Most of these haven't been worn. But break out a new one every once in a while. I guess you can't drop a picture in this thread so here is a pic of what I keep in my closet.

Hey Woodhouse,
Did you ever happen to see that episode of Pawn Stars where Rick was offered that collection of sneakers for something like a million dollars? I have heard that Chumlee has over 500 pair. I have seen him but a pair here and there on the show, and I hardly ever even watch it. I would have never thought of that as a hobby but, then again, I collect HS and College yearbooks and a lot of people think that is way out there. Cheers. RM
(06-09-2017, 01:51 AM)ComeDayGoDay Wrote: When I was younger, I collected Rocks. My dad worked at the Smithsonian and I was always allowed to hang out behind the scenes with the archaeologists. It was so cool, and I still have my wonderful rock collection to this day. I'm still fascinated by rocks and their natural beauty and makeup. I collected coins at one point...I just liked the differences of coins/money when compared to other coins in other countries. I'm not really sure what I actively collect now, but I was cleaning out my closet and realized that I have 4 of those Samsonite Silhouette vintage train cases from years ago. I just love the idea of them, the little trays that come out and the little mirror and pockets inside of them. I started collecting them so I could paint them with more modern/abstract designs on them, but I haven't yet probably because I just kind of treasure their history, and wonder about who owned them in a previous life! I cleaned one up today and am going to bring it with me when I head out to the beach. I'm bringing it back, y'all! So, that's my collection story! What fun or odd collections do you have? I'd love to hear about them! 

I also collected rocks. Some purchased & others I found. Unfortunately I lost them in a move. My GF & I wanted to get out of our apartment & were having a hard time finding a house. We put some stuff in her parents storage space... bad idea. After dealing with a semi long distance relationship one thing led to another... and that was that, as they say. I also lost my childhood bike separate in a separate but equally tragic manor. The loss of both will haunt me forever... I still have dreams about getting that bike back. Full disclosure I was know longer a child when my bike was given away by a friends parent. 

Luckily my favorite rock was spared. I found a black magnetic rock in Colorado as a child and I still have that one. 

I also have my Grandmas Vintage Samsonite Taperlite Train Case. I love it. Shes been gone many years now but it still smells like her perfumes and house. I also several giant old Taperlite luggage cases. Two of which are massive. 

Thanks,
-WH

(I can't figure out how to get my pics to show up so I am attaching an Imgur link of my Taperlite Case. I thought you would enjoy it. The mirror could use a clean!    https://imgur.com/a/90CBn

(01-25-2018, 02:39 AM)Rafterman Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 08:34 PM)Woodhouse Wrote: Not my Hobby. But I suppose you could say I collect sneakers. They call us Sneaker Heads. There is a culture of people that Buy/Sell/Trade sneakers. Many times they will be a different year or discontinued.  Most of these haven't been worn. But break out a new one every once in a while. I guess you can't drop a picture in this thread so here is a pic of what I keep in my closet.

Hey Woodhouse,
Did you ever happen to see that episode of Pawn Stars where Rick was offered that collection of sneakers for something like a million dollars? I have heard that Chumlee has over 500 pair. I have seen him but a pair here and there on the show, and I hardly ever even watch it. I would have never thought of that as a hobby but, then again, I collect HS and College yearbooks and a lot of people think that is way out there. Cheers. R

Cool! New or old yearbooks?
Thanks for the reply & comments. I have seen chum buy some sneakers... The police report of what the cops found when they raided his house was crazy. They list all of his substances... Funny thing is they legalized most of it later that year or the year after. 

I had no idea about the sneaker heads until this girl commented on my shoes. I guess she noticed I had 2 different pairs of new nikes and started talking to me in class. She asked me if I was a sneaker head... I had no clue what she meant. She told me that she was a SH & that she had just gone to one of those trade shows. People buy, sell & trade New, vintage & limited editions. Pretty crazy. Most of mine are from a place called Shoe Show. Apparently its one of the largest shoe store in the country. I try not to spend more than $40 on each pair... but sometimes I will go up to 55 or 60 if they are really nice. I believe when Nike buys the shoes they grade them. The lower grades go to the discount stores. You can sometimes see a crooked stitches or maybe a bit of glue sticking out between the sole and leather.

Most people would not notice but I inspect the hell out of stuff like that.

(01-25-2018, 02:39 AM)Rafterman Wrote:

Hey Woodhouse,
Did you ever happen to see that episode of Pawn Stars where Rick was offered that collection of sneakers for something like a million dollars? I have heard that Chumlee has over 500 pair. I have seen him but a pair here and there on the show, and I hardly ever even watch it. I would have never thought of that as a hobby but, then again, I collect HS and College yearbooks and a lot of people think that is way out there. Cheers. R

Cool! New or old yearbooks?
Thanks for the reply & comments. I have seen chum buy some sneakers... The police report of what the cops found when they raided his house was crazy. They list all of his substances... Funny thing is they legalized most of it later that year or the year after. 

I had no idea about the sneaker heads until this girl commented on my shoes. I guess she noticed I had 2 different pairs of new nikes and started talking to me in class. She asked me if I was a sneaker head... I had no clue what she meant. She told me that she was a SH & that she had just gone to one of those trade shows. People buy, sell & trade New, vintage & limited editions. Pretty crazy. Most of mine are from a place called Shoe Show. Apparently its one of the largest shoe store in the country. I try not to spend more than $40 on each pair... but sometimes I will go up to 55 or 60 if they are really nice. I believe when Nike buys the shoes they grade them. The lower grades go to the discount stores. You can sometimes see a crooked stitches or maybe a bit of glue sticking out between the sole and leather.

Most people would not notice but I inspect the hell out of stuff like that.
- They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but if you don't go to the doctor for regular checkups, you're bananas.