Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adult ADD.
Since the loss of my husband a year ago to cancer I have found I fit the diagnostic of ADD. I find I am hoarding, I can't prioritize, I flit from project to project, I throw all my mail in a box "to do later" (which can be disastrous,), and have such racing thoughts I have two tv sets set to the news to drown out racing thoughts. I try to organize but throw stuff from one box into another box. I received a strip of generic ritalin from our great supplier and oh my god, did it help. I have been on anti depressants for over a year without much improvement or clarity. 
Has anyone experienced long term therapy for this? Any burn-out?
Thanks for any input!
I am sorry to hear of your loss and hardships adjusting to life alone. I too live alone and am very ADD. I also start many projects & hobbies without resolution. I constantly don't finish drying my laundry & let dishes stack up for a week at a time. I try to make little rules to live by in order to keep my clutter and trash. I also try to take stuff to the donation center a couple of times a year. Get a white board on your wall. Make a todo list for (Daily, weekly & monthly). Use any trick you can think of remember priorities (like sticky notes)

When I was first diagnosed with ADD about 20 years ago ritalin was the standard medication. My Nurse Practitioner told me recently that ritalin use is way down. Most doctors lean towards medication similar to Adderall. Although there are still many brand names for ritalin. I would recommend seeking treatment from a professional. Also forums on sites such as reddit can be a very big help. Ask others peoples advice on how to better organize your life. I work & go to school and have a very hard time staying organized. I try to keep my workstation nice and clean and organize my papers as soon as I get them home.

Also make sure you are eating healthy and often. I get very lethargic when I do not eat right. Your brain uses more energy than any other organ. This can sometimes be a problem for me because I do not eat in the morning and often put off eating until the evening. I hope I helped a little bit.
- They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but if you don't go to the doctor for regular checkups, you're bananas. 
(08-28-2017, 08:13 PM)Woodhouse Wrote: I am sorry to hear of your loss and hardships adjusting to life alone.  I too live alone and am very ADD. I also start many projects & hobbies without resolution. I constantly don't finish drying my laundry & let dishes stack up for a week at a time. I try to make little rules to live by in order to keep my clutter and trash. I also try to take stuff to the donation center a couple of times a year. Get a white board on your wall. Make a todo list for (Daily, weekly & monthly). Use any trick you can think of remember priorities (like sticky notes)

When I was first diagnosed with ADD about 20 years ago ritalin was the standard medication. My Nurse Practitioner told me recently that ritalin use is way down. Most doctors lean towards medication similar to Adderall. Although there are still many brand names for ritalin. I would recommend seeking treatment from a professional. Also forums on sites such as reddit can be a very big help. Ask others peoples advice on how to better organize your life. I work & go to school and have a very hard time staying organized. I try to keep my workstation nice and clean and organize my papers as soon as I get them home.

Also make sure you are eating healthy and often. I get very lethargic when I do not eat right. Your brain uses more energy than any other organ. This can sometimes be a problem for me because I do not eat in the morning and often put off eating until the evening. I hope I helped a little bit.

Hello and thanks for the reply! All of your suggestions are spot on. I had an appointment today which the clinic cancelled this morning. Like oh no, I've only been waiting for six months to see a doctor for this (Maine has a real shortage of psychiatrists) but have been rescheduled for the 12th of this month. I find I get great support, advice, and intelligent responses on this site. Thanks!

(08-28-2017, 01:31 PM)BlackSocks Wrote: Hi there HQinMaine,  I'm very sorry to hear of your bereavement - it must have been very hard for you loosing your other half to the illness.  To clarify, do you mean you've always had ADD symptoms and they have now become more unmanageable since your husband passed away?  

You have all my sympathy - I'm almost certain that I have ADD - I got hold of a small quantity of aderall to see if it would help - haven't tried this medicine before.
Yeah have all the symptoms in women - disorganization, starting things and not getting finished, constantly "misplace" things, there are piles of clothes, piles of storage containers hidden in bedroom.  The sofa is half clear and the other end has a pile of clothes that need to be put in storage or hung on rail.  

I get what you mean about incoming mail - the implications are serious (not keeping on top of opening correspondence).  Sounds like low mood to me, of course you're smart enough to figure that out - you don't need me to tell you that HQ.

You mention therapy, do you feel therapy would be the right route for you at this time?  Would seeing a Dr and trying Ritalin again be any good?
Sending best wishes,

Thank-you! I also got a small sample of generic ritalin from a great supplier here and it helped immensely!  So - I am waiting to get in to see a doctor here. If I don't get relief, I will take care of that problem from here. 
I always seem to have too much to do and for some reason the simplest things involve about 20 steps to complete. I can get ridiculous about it (like tearing apart a hard drive to get the rare earth magnet inside so I can magnetize my screwdrivers to pick up small screws). But then neglect to pay my internet bill. So ridiculous. 

Thanks again for replying and your advice! Much appreciated. Hq.
Like this post this is similar to alot of the problems I have and has been the case since I saw a major traedgy as a child something for which I never got any counselling for and feel has held me back since but I certainly suffer with similar issues