Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shouldn't New Members Post a bit more Info?
Nah, I'm definitely good. Big Grin 

It's just more an offer to those who want to feel some closeness and if I can participate, just saying that I would jump at the opportunity if it helps people.
This may be the best thread I ever started. Really like the discussion, as I had know idea what you all would think? So many new members on IOP, I can't welcome them all but the rest of you all do a great job! I do not know what admin thinks but when does it get to big, or the more members the better? I do not know. But Glad IOP is here to help people and I am Happy to be a part of the Family! Best to YOU ALL!-FF
(02-25-2018, 02:27 AM)fishfarmer Wrote: This may be the best thread I ever started. Really like the discussion, as I had know idea what you all would think? So many new members on IOP, I can't welcome them all but the rest of you all do a great job! I do not know what admin thinks but when does it get to big, or the more members the better? I do not know. But Glad IOP is here to help people and I am Happy to be a part of the Family! Best to YOU ALL!-FF

Yeah this was definitely a great conversation starter! This thread really opened me up more too. Glad you thought of starting this thread!

Xfizzler
 There is more time than life ....  so make it count!
(02-21-2018, 09:19 PM)Charon Wrote: Well, they certainly should but we cannot force them to.  But, most of us have heard quite a few tall tales from new people.

So, yes, if you want to partake in our hard learned info, u gotta partake in some day to day posts so that we can  know you and trust you.

Its a brutal world and and awful time both online and in real life.  We are beginning to see some sanity reign online again.

We had to give people negative warnings to get them to even hit the welcome thread.  And, often, some come up with some mighty strange tales.  They broke a toe nail and therefore need the equal of cancer drugs.

This forum has dramatically changed in the last few months and many of us don't like it.  We all built this place up.

You cannot trust to share with us a bit, but u expect us to trust you enough to share all we have?

It won't work that way.

Read welcome threads.  You are far more likely to get attention and info when you share of yourself.  Cuz we sure shared of ourselves to build these forums.

Fish Farmer is correct.  So is Raven.  I am from NY. And I am permanently disabled no hope of recovery.  Not a good state to be permanently ill.

Charon, I'm interested to hear how the forum has changed and what you think we as a community can do about it?

I'm assuming you mean an influx of new users who don't really get involved in the forum and just want to get straight to info on vendors.  I can understand their motivation but I do agree it does take away from a community feel you and others have built, a mutual support group if you like.  

The reinforcement of rules helps, and there is a lot of policing by other members.  I think we can all recognise what is commonly referred to as a 'runner', someone trying to build posts quickly to get access to information, but again I think established members can spot this a mile away and ignore people accordingly.

Any ideas what else should be done beyond the post limits you already have? Maybe a forum name change (if that id even possible?). ioplist will always attract people looking for IOPs for all reasons, not just because they have a chronic complaint and no other route to what they need.  If the aim is for people with a true need, rather than a recreational need (and these are clearly difficult to separate) changing theme might change the focus?  

I suppose the only other way is move away from a posting threshold and use a purely judgemental system on those that deserve help and those who do not, but how you enforce this (and who has the time) is another question entirely.
Weird day today so this may come off strange.

The idea of someone posting some description of why they are here is not out of line at all.  A legitimate patient would have to explain their issues to many people and really know what "an issue" is and they have probably had to tell a health professional or family about it-way more painful than a few words on a forum.

And by discussing what you are dealing with you can and will get a lot of support from similar members here-I did.

I have also learned to think differently and understand people with other conditions in a way I would not have just by spending time reading about their experiences.
At the end of the day, Charon & her Admins & Moderators do this out of the goodness of their hearts.
The last thing we want is to introduce another level of proof-reading or increase their workload.

"Shouldn't New Members Post a bit more Info?"   I've started to wonder what this would actually look like.
I'm uneasy with the suggestion that a person with anxiety or chronic pain be made to tell their story - to prove themselves worthy of membership.

As things stand, Rec users trolling the net for IOPs already get access to a handful of vendors without membership.
Runners and shills are never as sophisticated as they'd like to imagine.  Their posting patterns and agendas are easy to recognize.
Likewise, Maverick Cowboys and their wince-worthy posts "I've been around forever, you can't tell me nuthen" are warned and banned within days.

There's no harm in allowing new members the time they need to get comfortable about 'Posting a bit more Info'.
If people choose to share their own stories at all, they may emerge long after they've hit the Welcome thread.
I'm just not sure that we have the right to demand anything earlier than that.
There's a difference between having an opinion and having an informed opinion.
Agree 100% Richard! I just think with a bit more than "Hi I'm new here" would allow other members to be of assistance sooner. Glad to have started this Thread as I knew there would be a lot of different opinions and I appreciate Yours! Best to You Richard!-FF
Yes Richard worded that quite nicely!
 There is more time than life ....  so make it count!
Masterthief Account One. Reminder to give the poor man the proper post count tomorrow. *nobody else. He lost two accts from one of our updates. been years. a fine sport.*
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel