Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raw Milk
Hey all. So my wife has had great success with raw milk for her ulcerative colitis. It needs to be the A2/A2 protein. (original breed not over-bread cows) its easier to digest. We prefer the Dutch belted cows. It can completely put her into remission. Raw milk can heal many things like allergies, asthma, inflammation etc. Even if you are lactose intolerant you should be fine because the pasteurization process makes milk hard to digest. The big players in the dairy industry and government write articles all the time to make the public think otherwise. They act like is so dangerous but its no more dangerous than eating oysters. When I lived in Philly raw milk was easy to find at markets. Where i live now its not legal unless you join a cow share. Basically you own part of a cow and pay part of its housing and such to a farm and they give you the milk.  I also give it to my dogs when they get allergies or stomach aches or are limping. (dog is 12 years old and loves it)
Also its freakin delicious!

-Scoobie
Hmmmm, not pasteurized seems risky to me.

Is that what you mean?
(07-31-2018, 01:05 AM)Linville Wrote: Hmmmm, not pasteurized seems risky to me.

Is that what you mean?

Yup. Its actually not that risky. Every batch gets tested. It was risky 100 years ago because of the poor and dirty conditions of some farms. The health benefits definitely outweigh the risks. Im sure you have seen thinks like raw cheese at the grocery store. Same milk, easier to digest.
I drive out 45 minutes each week to the farm store to pick up 1 gallon of raw milk from jersey cows. I might have one glass because I love the taste but it's for my young daughter. No rSBT, non-pasteurized, non-homogenized deliciousness! All the cows and their milk are tested for micro-organisms.

Oh and Linville, the whole 'non-pasteurized' scare came out of CA I believe in the early 90s? due to a few bad batches of milk (the cows had not been properly tested for a bacteria) that were contaminated.

It led to a number of cases of foodborne illness in some people (NO ONE died) and since then they passed laws about requiring the pasteurization of milk.

FYI: When raw milk starts to go 'bad', you can actually keep it in the fridge for another few weeks and the resulting (not delicious) thick, slightly off-colored, liquid is basically a $50 dollar supply of probiotics that many people toss and not realize. (Have many friends that own their own dairies and aside from discounts on everything, I get to hear their secrets for making bigger profits on regularly sold items).
There was an episode of Portlandia that delt with raw milk and really had me interested.  This post kind of peaked that interest.  What's possibly the worst that could happen, just an upset stomach?
When I loved on a dairy farm all we drank was unpasteurized milk, all dairy farmers do. Never had any issues.
Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. ~ Mark Twain
Raw camel milk is absolutely divine.
I know this is an old thread, but I will say: the key to pasteurizing any milk without destroying the enzymes that make it delicious is SLOW pasteurization. No temperature used above about 160F, but used over a relatively long period of time. This is mostly how the milk in France is done, and the average grocery store milk in France is far, far, FAR superiour to any milk you would find in a North American supermarket, even Whole Foods or some fancy place.

Cheese made from raw milk is delicious, as well, but not legal in the United States unless it's been aged past a certain date. Raw milk cheese is really something to behold.