Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
To Us, It is a solemn place of many feelings
9/11 Memorial tourists: Enough with the smiling selfies THE WOMAN IN WHITE
By RITA LUSSIER
SEP 11, 2018 | 5:00 AM

9/11 Memorial tourists: Enough with the smiling selfies
People take selfies and smiling pictures at the 9/11 Memorial on September 9, 2016 in New York City. (Barcroft Media via Getty Images)

There you are with your camera. There you are waving your arms, motioning for your family to nestle in closer together, a little to the left, more to the right, stay still, there in front of the wall, look this way, now smile. Big smile. All smiles. That’s perfect! That’s it!

No. That’s not it. And, let me just say, if I might, that what you’re doing is far from perfect.

Look there, just a few paces down from where you’re posing and mugging and giggling. See that woman? The one dressed in white. Put your camera down and stand still for a moment. Try to empathize. Try to understand. Has it been that long? Has it? Try to remember.

She’s been frozen there in that same spot facing the wall ever since you arrived. Behind her, visitors are passing by this way and that. All around her, tourists are chattering, birds are chirping, horns and sirens ring out from the city streets. She doesn’t seem to hear. She doesn’t seem to care. She just stands her ground. Solemn. Still. The woman in white.

In front of her, water cascades down the sides of the vast wall to the pool below then tumbles again into the black maw in the center, swallowing everything into a dark abyss. The sun splashes a rainbow on the far wall and yet, the magnitude of all that is here, all that was here, weighs down. Falling. Falling. Falling.

Despite the distractions, the woman stares straight ahead into the middle distance, her body motionless except for her hands. From left to right, she caresses the bronze parapet in front of her that encircles the great pool. Gently. Tenderly. Reverently. Over and over again, her fingers trace the letters carved there in the brass: JENINE NICOLE. Sister? Mother? Daughter? Friend? I don’t know. None of us here do.

But I do know this. Seventeen years after that day, the eleventh day, the utter terribleness of it, the pain of her loss, the memory of JENINE NICOLE still haunts her soul.

People take selfies and smiling pictures at the 9/11 Memorial on September 9, 2016 in New York City.

Yes, I understand it’s a beautiful afternoon. I know there are buds on the trees, tiny birds hopping about the walkways, newly planted grass sprouting in carefully manicured plots. There’s a sweet breeze from the south, clouds scuttling by in a blue sky, an exuberance in the air that is summertime in New York City.

And yes, I do understand that this is a tourist attraction. And there are photos you could take. Perhaps that pear tree over there that somehow, impossibly managed to survive the devastation. Or maybe a shot of the reflecting pools and the waterfalls to share with those who couldn’t make the trip to see Ground Zero all for themselves.

But this, no not this. The grinning son. The daughter mugging for the camera. Not here. Not in this hallowed place. This is not the Grand Canyon. You are not standing in front of the world sphere at Universal Studios or Sleeping Beauty’s Castle at Disney World.

This is a battlefield where those who died did not even know there was a war. This is a graveyard, a sacred site marking a terrible chapter in our country’s story, where on a crystal blue morning the world changed, where abruptly and without warning, hatred had no boundaries, where even the most mundane acts of getting up and going to work suddenly weren’t mundane or ordinary at all, but forever unpredictable and dangerous.

So, please. Put your camera down. Put away your selfie stick. Just stand still for a moment. Look around. Feel this. Appreciation for the resilience and resolve of a nation. Compassion for the woman in white and others like her who lost so much. There are so many things to take away from here.

A snapshot of smiling faces is not one of them.

Lussier is a writer.

Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Good article. A lot of reflection yesterday. I woke up, got onto my ladder and placed our flag into the base. I got down and stood for a few minutes before walking back inside. I will never forget.
You know it is 17 years. But we lost NYC.

I interviewed many whom experienced Pearl Harbor Attack. They were taken totally by surprise also. Their neighbors turned on them with Uniforms and weaponry one day. They had no idea the original sleeper cells were during the early days of WWII.

I saluted each hero. I cried most of the day. I still know of people whom were stuck in the City and are now experiencing symptoms also. Not rescue workers.

God Bless America. Long May She Reign. Our people are our greatest strength. We shall always try to do the right thing in this world, and We Love Our Country.

I shall never forget.

I completely agree. Two days on FB people were posting the towers in flames for crying out load. I lived on 17 John stre in the Metro building, llost everything I owned of any valu, my dog almost died ,I couched surfed in Greenpoint for 4 months. So these idiots ,tourists whatever, It should be a solemn day of mediation, silence for those lost and It was a scary day. I saw those building pictures it FREAKED ME OUT. I think people have lost all empathy and sympathy sometimes. IDOTS. I can barely talk about it and their taking fing selfies. It's mighty disrespectful if you ask me.
Beautiful piece Charon.

OR
Beautiful indeed.
Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. ~ Mark Twain
I saw a guest reading this. And It does seem that this is a good time to remind the world what our Heroes endured.

Some were gone in a minute. For some, it took several agonizing years before their bodies gave in.

But I shall never forget. I can never believe that certain ones wanted a war as it is good for an economy or to cover up some other evil stuff. I cannot believe that as I knew some of our heroes so well. I cannot think evil of our country.

With all the violence going on in NYC now, some by veterans and those whom feel disheartened by our country's treatment of its heroes, this smiling selfie taking will not go over well.

Do not disrespect the souls of your elders whom died in an unprecedented attack on our home. On our people.

Allow those in mourning to mourn with respect.

I wonder what those smiling fools were taught about this event in the school system of which we are now learning.

We don't smile about this.

These are and were real lives and souls whom sacrificed themselves to save others as best as they could.

America. Long may she reign.