Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sleep study?
Hello IOP friends, has anyone here done a sleep study/sleep clinic? Curious to hear your experience. Thank you!
~Lauren
Do not have direct experience with sleep clinics- however I have 2 close friends who have gone and both were diagnosed with sleep apnea.
They were hooked up with different wires etc.- much like Audrey outlined in her first experience.
They each went 2X to conform the results- I guess 1 trial could be an aberration so they had to go 2X.

They are both doing much better now, thanks to the diagnosis.............Folken
It's just disheartening. I'm willing to go to check if I have sleep apnea, but I suspect that is not my problem. I can't fall asleep and if I manage to do--I don't sleep very long. It's not very enticing to go pay for a clinic to have them confirm--yep you have insomnia and ambien is still your best bet. (It does help me to sleep, but I've become tolerant to it over the years so a 30 day prescription doesn't last for 30 days anymore.)
My 9 year old son will be doing one on Sunday night and I will be accompanying him. His pediatrician suggested it and our insurance covers 90% of it. I will let you know how it goes.
(12-27-2018, 06:00 PM)MrFussbudget Wrote: It's just disheartening.  I'm willing to go to check if I have sleep apnea, but I suspect that is not my problem.  I can't fall asleep and if I manage to do--I don't sleep very long.  It's not very enticing to go pay for a clinic to have them confirm--yep you have insomnia and ambien is still your best bet.  (It does help me to sleep, but I've become tolerant to it over the years so a 30 day prescription doesn't last for 30 days anymore.)

Clinic may help you, even if you do not have sleep apnea.

But first make sure you are not causing or your habits are not contributing to your lack of sleep.
If you look there are many suggestions such as:
-room temperature
-no caffeine 2-3 hours before sleep
-no electronic devices for 2 hours before sleep
-go to bed at the same time and try to wake at the same time- even if you are still tired
-mindfulness and deep breathing exercises
-etc.
If you have tried these suggestions and still have sleep problems then the clinic may be of some use to get to the root cause.

.....................best of luck.......................Folken
If your insomnia is anxiety based and everyone who experiences this knows it already, a sleep study is a waste of time. And is frustrating too. It'S good for diagnosing sleep apnea, not for chronic insomnia
(12-30-2018, 12:41 PM)Wannabenormal18 Wrote: If your insomnia is anxiety based and everyone who experiences this knows it already, a sleep study is a waste of time. And is frustrating too. It'S good for diagnosing sleep apnea, not for chronic insomnia

Sorry wanna,
                    agree- looks like a sleep study will be a waste of time for your anxiety.
I only know of 2 friends who went and were diagnosed with sleep apnea- good for them and they are doing better................Folken