Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Returning to normal life after a crisis
To cut a long story short its discharge day for me tommorow following a crisis and 9 days away by the seaside. Anyway meds altered, sleeping again and have been doing therapy stuff. I'm a bit worried about going home, so wondered how others have managed going home in the past? Im thinking I need to head back to work and keep busy, but crashed pretty hard with all that the last month. 

How have others managed it?

Smile
Sorry to hear you have been feeling so unwell Mountain07. I think work is good to keep you distracted but just be careful, take it easy for a bit as you need to avoid stress at the minute. It's a cliche but you just have to take it one day at a time. When I'm at my worst I try to plan ahead, and write down things to do each day, even just something short like a walk. And try to remember that even though you have recently had a crisis you can get through this, you need to be positive. Good luck to you.
(04-23-2019, 01:01 PM)Cantique Wrote: Sorry to hear you have been feeling so unwell Mountain07. I think work is good to keep you distracted but just be careful, take it easy for a bit as you need to avoid stress at the minute. It's a cliche but you just have to take it one day at a time. When I'm at my worst I try to plan ahead, and write down things to do each day, even just something short like a walk. And try to remember that even though you have recently had a crisis you can get through this, you need to be positive. Good luck to you.

Cantique has some great ideas that have also worked for me, especially writing positive things down each day to do. It seems for me, if I write it, then read it...I do it.
Thank you for the replies, much appreciated. I have made it home and am just chilling out. The plan for day is a great ideas, once I had the next 3 days roughly done it helped a lot without even doing it! Smile I will try the positive list too. Part of the planned is a few hrs in work at start of week. Looks like I'll have daily visits from the local team for next few weeks too. Thanks for the positive vibes!
(04-23-2019, 08:20 PM)Mountain07 Wrote: Thank you for the replies, much appreciated. I have made it home and am just chilling out. The plan for day is a great ideas, once I had the next 3 days roughly done it helped a lot without even doing it! Smile I will try the positive list too. Part of the planned is a few hrs in work at start of week. Looks like I'll have daily visits from the local team for next few weeks too. Thanks for the positive vibes!

Yes!

At the risk of sounding repetitive-- lists do make you feel better.

- you get to create the list
- you get to cross off the list item, as you do it << one of the best feelings >>
- you get to see each day, how you have progressed from yesterday- last week - last month etc..  << another great feeling >>

Best of luck Mountain07...…………………

Folken
Sometimes I cheat with my lists and add things I've already done just to give me the satisfaction of ticking it off. Also another of my list tips - put the easy/quick things at the start. If you put something hard or challenging first you will put it off which may get you down.

You'll get through this Mountain07, there's a lot of good things and people out there, it's not all bad (even though it feels like that).
(04-22-2019, 10:57 AM)Mountain07 Wrote: To cut a long story short its discharge day for me tommorow following a crisis and 9 days away by the seaside. Anyway meds altered, sleeping again and have been doing therapy stuff. I'm a bit worried about going home, so wondered how others have managed going home in the past? Im thinking I need to head back to work and keep busy, but crashed pretty hard with all that the last month. 

How have others managed it?

Smile
keep occupied by favorite activities. I find journaling helps after a crisis- maybe reading reading, if that is your thing.
Find a support group if necessary. 
Stay in touch with old and new friends for support.
Do not overdo your schedule - do want your body and mind needs.
be well, prayers to you that you feel better.
I'm afraid these might be repatings what others have said better but self-care is really helpful in these times. (suggestions here are a result of experience but I hope this will help). Kiki99 was good to point out not overdoing thigs and listening to your body; specifically, as the same user said, if the body or mind are 'asking' for rest or sleep, i . Also, if it's possible to work in,l finding time for yourself to do things that help
you look outwards have be outwardly helpful in a difficult time:

a walk or drive if in a scenic location can be soothing, and entertaining, can remove you physically and remove yourself from a difficult. And an infusion of natrual, scenic, and architectural beauty can be a boon to the spirits (music too!). Small changes in the local environment can be just as helpful. Not a cure-all by any means but certainly helpful; they seem to add to a person's reserves of strength, give you something to look forward to (say, a particular tree during a daily errand). It can contirubute to a positve or restful mental enviroment.

all best wishes and good luck you