Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can MM worsen anxiety and type 2 diabetes?
I have had various people (not physicians, just in causal conversations) suggest I take medical marijuana for chronic pain. Recreational marijuana is not legal in my state, but it is possible to go through a process to get approval for medical marijuana (although purchasing it is still difficult, I hear.)

I am not certain if I should pursue this -- my medical problems already eat up a tremendous amount of my time, energy, and money, and it is a constant trade-off deciding which treatments I have the time and money for. I also have two other concerns: 1) I have severe problems with Type 2 diabetes, and there are lots of medications that make my blood sugar far worse. 2) When I tried marijuana in college, decades ago, it caused severe anxiety and I have not wanted to use it again.

Are these things I should worry about? I know marijuana gives people "the munchies." I often eat as little as I can stand, yet my blood sugar goes very. very high. Anything that makes me hungrier would be a disaster. I also have had very bad anxiety lately and worry about making it worse. I'm concerned I'll invest time and money into trying MM, and have a bad experience. I've had plenty of very bad experiences with various medical treatments. I have so many problems that a treatment for one thing can easily make other things worse. But, I don't know how likely these problems are.

Has anyone here experienced anxiety while using medicinal marijuana? And, has anyone had weight gain? If MM can cause weight gain, even a little, it's pretty much guaranteed to make my metabolic problems seriously worse.
Oh yes it can provoke real panic in some people-trust me on this one and MM is legal where I reside can buy it OTC if you are of age-a "pam" they look at you like you have a needle in your arm.

Not sure what you want MM for but I would look into CBD oil first-can be expensive-unsure about type 2.
Long term experience is that it effects people differently. Sometimes dramatically different.

Suggest that you get/try some before going through the whole application process. With some people it definitely causes anxiety, especially if it is a "Sativa" type strain. You probably want "Indica" for pain as it is more relaxing.

On the T2D, it will not directly affect your blood sugar/insulin level but it does make some people hungry and if that is combined with loss of inhibition, not a good combo. Some folks just can't resist munching out. I am a regular with it but it doesn't have that affect on me.

PM me if you wan't more details but you could check out some of the information available about physicians helping people to reverse T2D and/or greatly reduce medication levels. Fascinating stuff that is getting out into the open. A good place to start is the Adapt Your Life channel on u'tube.

Hope you feel better!
certain strains can deffiently put me into full blown panic attack, but if you just find your rite strain and type etc etc, good CBD works for me I found
Quote:Are these things I should worry about? I know marijuana gives people "the munchies."

I think your observation is an astute one; the fact that MJ is associated with "the munchies" should be enough to make anyone suspect an interaction between MJ and blood sugar. Now that MJ is comparatively widespread I expect this will finally be studied, but as a T2 diabetic, I am sure that you already know there are still a million things about diabetes and diet in general that are still not understood.

My own T2 was diagnosed 10 years ago. By "eating to my meter" I've determined MJ doesn't seem to affect my BG by and of itself, though it does indirectly because it affects my eating habits. In general, I eat less when I vape, at least on the upswing. If I can make sure I'm in bed asleep before the munchies hit, overall I feel it helps me cut down on calories, odd as that may seem as a strategy.

Yes, there are the occasional nights when I end up nose down in a bowl of ice-cream, but those happen with or without MJ. The key is to plan for them, which for me means banning regular ice-cream from the house and stocking up on Bryer's low carb chocolate ice cream instead. I like to shave 85% dark chocolate on the top. The hardest part is watching the rest of the household scarf down carbs like there's no tomorrow. 

I am a Dr Bernstein (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFNGdKSXx64) fan, and like the tudiabetes.org site best. And what works for me might not work for you. Your Diabetes May Vary, as we say.

Best of luck,

Benny
I appreciate all the replies. I have been struggling a lot lately with overwhelming depression, which is why I have not been on here, and did not reply sooner.

It looks like MM is a complicated area. I'm pretty overwhelmed with everything going on in my life right now, so I may need to come back later and ask more questions here.

Ghostofjack, when you suggests I get & try some marijuana before going through the application process, do you mean getting some from, say, a friend? I am pushing 60 and am mostly confined to my home, so I don't know anyone who might have some available.
My feedback may not be of much help, but I'm glad to contribute my own experiences.  I'm a newcomer to mm for treatment for pain and anxiety, and I'm not a diagnosed diabetic, although I have a couple of indicators.  My husband is a type 2 diabetic and also just started his first EVER use of mm.  I'm 65 and he is 68.  I hadn't used marijuana since college in 1974, and he has never used it.  Mm is legal in our state.  My longtime doctor isn't ready to prescribe it, I understand, so I searched for hours on the internet for a legitimate doctor.  I located a medical doctor with a clinic in the area, who, after a consultation, felt that I would benefit from mm.  

I don't smoke or vape, so he recommended the tincture drops which I bought along with some gummies.  The particular tincture I got was 2.5 parts cbd and 1 part thc sativa.  Some of the gummies were sativa and  some were indica.  The drops work pretty well, and neither the drops or gummies make me hungry.  With me the drops took 2 hours or so to really kick in.  It doesn't knock me out, and I'm still able to work.  However, I think I will try the indica type next time.  I tried to up my dose a bit, and took 2 droppers of liquid instead of 1.  Bad choice!  I had a few anxiety issues with the larger dose.  My husband tried my drops, taking a half or so dropper.  They knocked him out after about 2 hours and gave him a euphoric feeling.  I think the particular effect depends on the individual.  

The doctor consultation was $115, and it took about 2 weeks to get my actual card from the state.  There was also a state application fee of about $100 unless you have a medicare card, then it's just $20.  The tinctures were between $50-$60 dollars each (but they last a LONG time), and the gummies were about $25-$30 for 10.  I'm sure costs vary from state to state.

I'm interested in following this thread and learning more.  I'll update as I try different types.  I hope this helps.
Smoking Mj used to calm me 20 years ago. Now it puts me into anxiety to where I do not want to go leave the house or be social around anyone. I just moved from Oregon to NC the don’t hAve recreational use here. There is some certain CBdw to thc. Ratios though I bought in Oregon that calmed me or helped put me straight to sleep. I have to find them somewhere here as I have some left and see what it says. Or maybe research that route. But try both .Maybe even smoking will help you. Like person above mentioned see if you know someone to help you out if it’s not legal where you live. Sorry it’s kind of same things everybody else said but it’s how it was for me. Also maybe try just CBd. I think it’s legal in most states. I needed a high dose of just cbd to help sleep. But it worked I’ll look what it is and get back to you this kind is just cbd I think 1500 mg in 15 drops.
@Peony13,if you can get to an MM outlet maybe they can advise?Can MM be actually ordered from a site and mailed to you in the US?
We are still not quite as civilised when it comes to MM,there is none,cannot even be prescribed by drs.
Some can bring on anxiety,not sure which type tho,again,ask the experts,maybe MM outlets have sites with advice about this issue?

It is an excellent pain killer,i have arthritic pain in parts of my body,chronic siatica plus various problems due to fibromyalgia,on Friday i ingested oil,vape and small amount of edibles,was pain free until early Saturday night,no medication needed,its a shame i cant afford to do that more often instead of trying to use tramadol for pain without getting addicted,somewhere i def dont want to go.
Those able to get MM legally are very lucky,i'd feel safer using that than the stuff my gp prescribes me that come with unwanted side effects.
Mind the Gap Please. Exclamation
(10-21-2019, 11:22 AM)Peony13 Wrote: Ghostofjack, when you suggests I get & try some marijuana before going through the application process, do you mean getting some from, say, a friend? I am pushing 60 and am mostly confined to my home, so I don't know anyone who might have some available.

This what I meant. Another option others have mentioned is CBD flower or tincture which is legal nationally I believe. CBD is the relaxing component, it doesn't get you "high" per se. If you google tweedle farms you can order some to try. It is fairly inexpensive.