Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COVID UPDATES. TIME TO DECIDE ABOUT SPREADING COVID
I hope you all realize that covid got real again.

Healthcare workers in the Dakotas and such, state that even whilst dying of covid, the people are saying: no, it is a hoax. It must be something else.

Healthcare workers have more of a handle of how to treat this.

Seems that people were lured into hair salons and gyms and restaurant dining. They did not have purified air.

So, with people dying all over the covid forum again, with some states as high as were in NY, the big question is: Are you gonna acknowledge this virus is real? You must put your compromised family members in safety. You cannot assume anyone is free of covid unless they have been tested. A couple times.

And, some will lie. They assume covid is a disease for the elderly and those sick already. Not so.

Hospitals are trying to prepare to be filled again after Thanksgiving.

This is a deadly time to visit family. And being indoors, air is not circulated. And You can have a false sense of security.

You will never forgive yourself if you give covid to grandma or your cousin or your aunt.

Choose wisely and keep in mind, that this is airborne. Enclosed environments cuz the spread to worsen, esp in cold weather.

I am pretty sure that Grandma won't be thankful to receive covid for thanksgiving. Just saying. It is raging all over again.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

The U.S. COVID-19 Outbreak Is Worse Than It’s Ever Been. Why Aren’t We Acting Like It?
Dr. Leana Wen | TIME100 Talks

BY JAMIE DUCHARME
NOVEMBER 19, 2020 5:51 AM EST
Nothing about the current COVID-19 explosion should come as a surprise. As the virus spread throughout summer and fall, experts repeatedly warned winter would be worse.

They cautioned that a cold-weather return to indoor socializing, particularly around the holidays, could turn a steady burn into a wildfire. Throw in a lame-duck President, wildly differing approaches by the states and a pervasive sense of quarantine fatigue, and the wildfire could easily become an inferno.

So it has. The U.S. is now locked in a deadly cycle of setting, then shattering, records for new cases and hospitalizations. On Nov. 13, a staggering 177,224 people in the U.S. were diagnosed with COVID-19. As of Nov. 17, more than 70,000 coronavirus patients were hospitalized nationwide. And unlike in earlier waves, which were fairly regionalized, the virus was as of Nov. 17 spreading–and fast–in virtually every part of the U.S., according to Johns Hopkins University data. This coast-to-coast surge is pushing hospitals across the country to the edge of catastrophe, their doctors and nurses exhausted and their intensive-care units running dangerously low on beds. Some cities are already playing out their dystopian worst-case scenarios; in El Paso, Texas, the dead have been shunted to mobile morgues partially staffed by the incarcerated.

But the U.S. public has become terrifyingly good at ignoring those harsh realities. Almost 40% of respondents to a recent Ohio State University survey said they plan to gather with at least 10 people for Thanksgiving, even though in many areas this comes with the likelihood of sharing a table with an infectious person. Many people continue to dine at indoor restaurants and work out in gyms, because many elected officials continue to let them. Almost 980,000 people passed through U.S. airport security checkpoints on Nov. 15, nearly quadrupling the number recorded six months earlier, when COVID-19 was nowhere near as widespread.

That people are behaving this way at the most dangerous moment of the U.S. outbreak speaks volumes about human nature, which in the world of public health can be as dangerous a variable as any pathogen. Rallying cries about flattening the curve have been replaced with a desire to return to normal life at all costs. Solid leadership is in short supply, with the outgoing Trump Administration refusing to concede the election and give President-elect Joe Biden the tools he needs to take over the pandemic response. Good news about promising COVID-19 vaccine candidates seems to be emboldening people in the wrong ways.

As Americans’ reactions to the pandemic become increasingly divorced from the reality of it, public-health officials may be facing their biggest challenge yet: forcing the public to face how bad things still are, and how much worse they may become.

From a public-health perspective, Thanksgiving was always going to be a problem. Maskless indoor gatherings in close quarters are perfect breeding grounds for the virus, and many Thanksgiving celebrations will likely include older adults at high risk of severe COVID-19. After months of separation, it’s natural that people are desperate to see loved ones and reclaim a sense of normality–but things are far from normal.

More than half of U.S. COVID-19 cases have been recorded since August, and the speed at which they are accumulating is ratcheting up: more than 1 million new cases were logged in just the week leading up to Nov. 17. Nonetheless, people appear unwilling to take the kind of drastic measures they did this spring, when lockdowns went into effect in many parts of the country and most people cut out socializing with anyone outside their household. “The fear was there at the beginning. It was national, there was a sense of patriotism–and then it faded,” says Dr. Natasha Kathuria, an emergency-medicine physician based in Austin. “The public is tired.”

With resolve weakening, models in mid-October suggested up to 50 million Americans would travel for Thanksgiving this year, according to AAA’s annual holiday-travel report–not many fewer than the 55 million who did so last year. (AAA did note that it expects the actual number of 2020 travelers to be lower, given the evolving COVID-19 crisis.) With COVID-19 case counts rising, that could be catastrophic. Canada saw a spike in cases after its Thanksgiving holiday in October, and the U.S. may be in for the same fate. As people travel to and from areas where the virus is surging, they risk carrying the infection with them and seeding it to new places.

People may be inclined to travel because of a mistaken perception that the pandemic is better controlled now than it was earlier in the year. In mid-April, about 37% of Americans said they were “very” concerned they or someone they know would catch COVID-19, according to data from the website FiveThirtyEight. As of Nov. 17, that number had dipped to less than 32%, despite the fact that case counts are now higher and more geographically diverse than they were in April. A recent study in the medical journal plos one found that people of all ages were more likely to partake in risky behaviors, like attending gatherings and seeing friends, as the pandemic dragged on.

That’s in part because the Trump Administration has repeatedly promised, without evidence, that the U.S. is turning a corner on the pandemic. But it may also be an unwanted side effect of a rare flurry of good news related to the outbreak.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has now authorized multiple drugs for treating COVID-19, including the antiviral remdesivir and the monoclonal antibody bamlanivimab, and hospitals are reporting better survival rates among COVID-19 patients than they were this spring. But Dr. Megan Ranney, an emergency-medicine physician from Brown University, says that could easily change if hospitals become overwhelmed–which many already are, and many more will be as recently diagnosed patients get sicker in the coming weeks.

“Yes, we know more than we did,” Ranney says. “However, many of the gains we have seen have nothing to do with having good treatments–they have more to do with the fact that we’re comfortable with [the virus] and the health system isn’t overwhelmed.” If the virus’s spread isn’t brought under control, that won’t stay true. And though doctors do know more than they did this spring, there are still plenty of outstanding questions about why some previously healthy people get seriously ill and others don’t; why some people develop long-lasting symptoms after infection and others don’t; and how immunity to the virus works.

Vaccines have also been a source of optimism lately. Pharmaceutical companies Pfizer and Moderna each announced in November that their vaccine candidates are at least 90% effective at preventing COVID-19, setting off a flurry of positive headlines. But, as of this writing, neither vaccine has yet been approved or granted emergency-use authorization by the FDA, and even once they are, it will take months for doses to become available to most of the general public.

Bodies loaded into a refrigerated temporary morgue trailer in El Paso, Texas, on Nov. 16
Bodies loaded into a refrigerated temporary morgue trailer in El Paso, Texas, on Nov. 16 Mario Tama—Getty Images
The promising vaccine news “doesn’t mean that we can go back to our pre-pandemic lifestyles,” says Dr. William Moss, executive director of the International Vaccine Access Center at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. “We’re going to have to continue our social distancing and mask wearing for the foreseeable future, until we get really high coverage with a vaccine that’s highly protective and reduces transmission.”

But individual choices around masking and social distancing only go so far. In times of crisis, people turn to their leaders for support and guidance–and on that front, elected officials are failing. The Trump Administration has done little to counter rampant misinformation about the pandemic, and has made numerous incorrect statements about the virus’s origins, spread and deadliness. The COVID-19 situation could be very different “if we had a President and Administration that were not going counter-current to science and facts,” says Dr. Eric Topol, director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute. “From day one, Trump and his team have basically not taken it seriously.”

Now, with Trump serving out the rest of his term as a lame duck who won’t admit he lost, the situation is particularly scary, Topol says. Trump has stopped attending White House coronavirus task-force meetings and has said little about the current coronavirus surge gripping the country.

President-elect Biden and Vice President–elect Kamala Harris have signaled commitment to public-health interventions that could help get the virus under control, like expanded access to testing, mask mandates and a robust vaccine-distribution program. But Biden and Harris can’t do much of substance until they take office, and the Trump Administration is reportedly withholding information about vaccine development and distribution that could help solidify plans for January. And with no official platform from which to communicate with the public, Biden and Harris “are not having nearly the impact that they could,” Topol says. On Nov. 16, Biden said that “more people may die” if the Trump Administration does not coordinate the transition of the vaccine program. (Biden has also pushed for the passage of a coronavirus-relief bill during the lame-duck period, but it looks unlikely one will clear Congress.)

State and local leaders have also been slow to reimplement lockdown measures that could help curb the virus’s spread. Unlike in Europe, where countries including France, Italy and Germany reimplemented restrictions of various levels in response to spiking case counts this fall, many U.S. officials have been hesitant to slap regulations on reopened businesses. Europe is struggling right now too–France, Russia, Spain and the U.K. hold the fourth through seventh spots on the list of the world’s hardest-hit countries–but many of the Continent’s leaders have shut down businesses and public places, and distributed relief money, to contain the virus. Officials across the E.U. have also called upon citizens’ senses of duty and empathy, promoting messages of unity and communal sacrifice.

The same can’t be said of the U.S. Officials in Chicago and Philadelphia have issued new stay-at-home advisories, and states including Washington, California, Oregon and Michigan have closed restaurants for indoor dining. But in many parts of the country–even in areas where schools are once again closing, like New York City–people are still free to drink at bars, eat in restaurants and work out in gyms. “It is incredibly difficult, from a public-health perspective, to defend people eating maskless indoors or going to indoor gyms,” Ranney says. She’d like to see “strategic shutdowns” of businesses in hard-hit areas, ideally with stimulus money to prevent further economic damage. More shocking, Topol says, is that some states, including Florida and Georgia, still don’t require masks in all public places, even as cases go through the roof. North Dakota Governor Doug Burgum, who long resisted a mask mandate, reversed that stance on Nov. 13, but only after his state’s test-positivity rate topped 15% and hospitals nearly exhausted ICU capacity statewide.

For the U.S. to find the same curve-flattening spirit it harnessed this spring, public-health and elected officials must help a tired and skeptical population dig deep and accept that it’s still crucial, and possible, to make changes that will keep the virus from spreading further. Quarantine fatigue is real, and so is misinformation. As of June, 25% of American respondents to a Pew Research Center poll thought there was some truth to the conspiracy theory that powerful people planned the coronavirus pandemic. Others have latched on to the incorrect idea, promoted by Trump and others in his orbit, that COVID-19 is “just the flu.” Some don’t think the pandemic is real at all–some patients have called the coronavirus a hoax until the moment they stop breathing, according to reports from a South Dakota nurse that have attracted widespread news coverage.

“My dream would be that politicians and people who have the trust of each side of the political aisle would come together and at least make a shared statement that COVID is not a political thing and this is real and this is what you need to do” to stop the spread, says Dr. Bradley Benson, a professor at the University of Minnesota Medical School. Letting public-health officials hold daily briefings and push out real-time data would help too, Topol says, since it would give people a reliable, nonpartisan source to turn to each day.

Individual doctors can also have a strong impact, Benson says. Americans typically trust their personal physician, often more than they trust researchers and scientists as a whole. Skeptics may be more likely to listen to their doctor’s advice than to that of politicians and journalists–especially, Benson says, if it’s personalized and contains direct requests about necessary behavior changes, like wearing a mask or canceling Thanksgiving travel. Positive vaccine news could also prove to those struggling with caution fatigue that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, as long as it’s described as a fresh source of motivation rather than an excuse to abandon other pandemic precautions. “It’s not just, ‘Keep running,'” Benson says. “You’re at mile 18 and you’ve got to get to 26. Let’s double down.”

But Kathuria says it’s difficult to hammer home those lessons for people who don’t want to listen. Social media platforms must do a better job of removing false content, she says, and all media outlets need to cover the pandemic accurately. In the meantime, Kathuria says she tries to stress that the joy of a Thanksgiving or Christmas with family pales in comparison to the pain of losing a loved one. For most people, who will never see the chaos of a packed ICU or the horror of an overflowing morgue, that’s the best way to strike a chord.

“I really wish there was some way for us to show people what the suffering looks like,” Kathuria says. “It doesn’t hit home until it hits home.”

–With reporting by BRIAN BENNETT, MARIAH ESPADA, ALEX FITZPATRICK and JULIA ZORTHIAN

This appears in the November 19th, 2020 issue of TIME. hxxps://time.com/magazine/

Just to make sure you all have the recent news in re: the Corona virus. So make your holiday plans accordingly.

The head of some state's covid commission, apparently contracted covid. He claims to now be immune. That is a myth. We did think some immunity existed whilst one had the antibodies in them. It was poppycock. And he thinks he cannot spread it. Yes, he can. And from what I have read, the second time one can get this is the end. I am not trying to put you in fear for your life. But we must act as if we are in fear for our lives.

Two people on covid forum told family this is nothing. I won't take the ventilator nor the meds. Both died in days from initial diagnosis.

This is real. I believe in prayer but God gave us a brain. I have stayed separate for about a year as I could not easily deal with having given this brutal illness to another. And, no, I don't want to die from covid.

Just my last attempt before thanksgiving, to present the brave amongst you with some facts. The news media has all sorts of hidden and not so hidden agendas. Not only has the epicenter returned to where i reside, one of many hot spots, but i also learn info from the covid forum.

Make your holiday plans knowing that others depend on your choices as well.

Thanks so much for your honest and direct words Charon. We’re all fed up with Covid but the virus could care less about our apathy or ennui. We have to all be kind, calm and safe both to others and ourselves.
So true Charon. The virus does not care that we have “covid fatigue”. The vaccine for frontline workers and those with compromised health might be weeks away. Now is not the time to let down our guard.
Just so you all have some information on making decisions, I have been overwhelmed by the covid tribute forum again. They did warn us the winter would kill many more of us, esp those whom kept in quarantine.

Well it is happening all over the covid forums. Fifteen month old babies. Young 21 yr old Moms and babies whom had to work at a convenience store. In just a couple days the young mom is in dire shape.

I cannot say one more prayer. Or try to calm down the parents or children and comfort them as they are denied contact with their loved one.

Please, please be so careful. Knowing all I know about fighting this covid in all its forms, I know I don't want to die this way. And I certainly want to keep all of you safe.

It is spreading like wildfire again. All over. Babies, elders, 21yr olds, and people whom were extra cautious and stayed home.

Please, be safe. Please. This is a battle none of you whom has read and shared all that I have on this virus, would ever ever want this. God protect them all.

I shall daily pray that you all get the thinking behind this thread. It is not political. I began doing forums for those with cancer and autoimmunes. Especially being in the original epicenter in US of covid, this became real to me quickly. My remaining family is close by.

NY has become worse than it was in March of early year. No one knows why exactly. Mutation of virus. Denials by non mask wearers.

In Texas now, the nurses are crying to patients whom call this fake news, that they are moments away from a ventilator. Or the nurses state they have never experienced so many deaths and lives destroyed in last two weeks than they have seen in their entire careers of twenty years.

Some app online can check your oxygen levels. a pulsometer or such.

But, if you have a scratchy throat, or a bad headache, or extreme fatigue, lack of ability to eat, inability to smell or taste foods, if you feel a band of tightness around your chest when you breathe, if you have GI problems...Then you very well may have covid.

Many are seemingly fine until about the eighth day after being exposed or testing positive to covid. Test results are kinda irrelevant as some must do several to test positive for this.

I could share the covid treatment forum, and the admin decides whether to let one in. To see what I see daily again. Not just in NY. Not just in USA. All over.

I just feel enemies of this forum will join to pester me, so hell no. These are lives at stake.

But please make no mistake. This is back and is real and diabolical. NO COMPLACENCY NOR STUPIDITY NOW. Don't kill grandma or your aunt or your younger sister whom will happen to have horrific complications and/or adverse reactions.

Please. Think before you make family outings and before you gather. You may be readying your family for the next big event: the funeral on virtual viewing only. Families do hold funerals in early days. Entire families. And most thereafter also battled the beast and many died.

If your relative is going into the hospital, buy a stuffed animal or two. One you record how much you love them. The other is for the patient to record a goodbye message to you. You will treasure it.

So many are dying again. Funeral directors. MtA. EMTs. PD. FD. Don't forget for some they have limbs amputated due to blood clots. The young broadway actor whom had this happen. He passed. Teachers. Healthcare.

And the psychological toll that has been put on our police dept is beyond anything experienced before. Imagine being a new cop. And wham, covid strikes. NY refused to allow PD to wear masks at first. PD had to cut down people whom killed themselves and guard the bodies till the morgue showed up six hours later. One does not get over that.

People hear their apt mates coughing next door and later learn they had covid.

The violence has not stopped. People are buying fake cards to prove they are covid negative.

This is your life. Make wise decisions. You don't want the blood of grandma or auntie or younger sister on your hands.

God be with you all and grant you wisdom.

CBS News

More than 2,000 Americans have been reported dead because of the coronavirus in just the past 24 hours, and 80,000 more are hospitalized.

U.S. breaks daily record with more than 187,000 new COVID-19 cases

hxxps://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-cases-united-states-daily-record-187k/

U.S. breaks daily record with more than 187,000 new COVID-19 cases
Share Tweet Reddit Flipboard Email

The U.S. recorded 187,000 new virus cases on Thursday, hitting a new single-day record, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. More than 2,000 Americans have been reported dead because of the coronavirus in just the past 24 hours, and 80,000 more are hospitalized.

CBS News has learned teams of scientists are now poring through Pfizer's testing data in an around-the-clock effort to deliver a vaccine. Pfizer is hoping for approval from the Food and Drug Administration that could supply as many as 50 million doses by the end of the year. This, as the nation reels from another record-shattering spike in cases while people also scramble to get tested in time for the holidays.

On Thursday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention urged Americans to avoid Thanksgiving travel, but the guidance came too late for an estimated 50 million who've already made plans.

"You could potentially be infected immediately after you have that test and any time after that," said Dr. Anne Rimoin, an epidemiologist with the UCLA School of Public Health.

When asked if it's safe for people to travel to see their families together for this holiday, Rimoin replied, "There's no zero-risk scenario here."

In Southern California, nearly 10,000 people a day are going to Dodger Stadium, waiting in long lines to get tested. Many of them are planning on traveling for Thanksgiving. Meanwhile, a curfew goes into effect in Los Angeles at 10 p.m. on Friday. If coronavirus cases aren't contained, a full lockdown could be ordered by Sunday.

Another Thanksgiving reality is the growing number of those going hungry. The Los Angeles Regional Food Bank said demand this year is up 145%. In Dallas on Friday, a line of people in their cars waiting to receive Thanksgiving turkeys stretched for miles.

El Paso County
Bodies wrapped in plastic line the walls inside a refrigerated trailer used as a mobile morgue in El Paso on November 13, 2020. JUSTIN HAMEL/AFP VIA GETTY
There is a gruesome sign of the times in El Paso, Texas, where so many have died that the county is now posting job openings for morgue attendants.

In Oregon, mobile morgues are now in place along with new surge tents. In that state, they're setting daily records not just for COVID-19 cases but also for hospitalizations and deaths.

Hard-hit North Dakota is now getting 60 Air Force nurses to help relieve exhausted workers. The state now has 18.2 coronavirus deaths per million residents, one of the highest daily COVID-19 death tolls per capita — not just in the nation, but the world, according to the Federation of American Scientists.

Theresa Weiler, the supervisor of a COVID-19 ward at Marshfield Medical Center in Wisconsin, described the unrelenting stress to CBS News.

"At the end of the day, I would go home and go straight to the shower," she said. "Part of this was to protect myself and my family, but the other part was so I could go cry in the shower and finally release for the day."

"Are we going to be able to keep up at this pace — or when will staff not have energy anymore?" Weiler asked.

Ahh Charon,

I feel your pain... I lost my job, it was in entertainment, so there that goes. 25 years and poof! I created a new job my self and started a business during this whole fiasco and luckily it's barley, I say barley getting me by.. My wife is a nurse on the cancer floor, but they float her down to covid all the time, it makes me sick.. I have kids at home all home schooling and I have to run a new business and my luck has run dry here, so I'm in for a world of hurt or a huge awakening. I can't figure out what it's gonna be.. People need to take this seriously, if you don't have a nurse friend, you don't really know what's going on, hospitals are starting to strain all over America and there are no signs of easing up at the moment. I'm hoping in two weeks we see some sort of relief, but every one will go out for Turkey and come back home. It's a shame, out of control. I ask her the amount of beds available, just so I can gauge what type of thing we are dealing with. So far 80% full ICU today... not good. Stay home everyone, if you have plans, well, zoom your extended family and only see sisters or brothers that have taken it seriously. and of course mom and dad, but even I won't see my mom on Thanksgiving. My dad passed away ,so she's all I got.

Don't fall for the scams, they are everywhere, donate here, donate this, give money here, robbing stealing. We need a covid relief plan stat. That's my rant lol

(10-06-2020, 09:50 PM)Charon Wrote: Ok, Houseshare went to a pre scheduled Lupus, RA doctor yesterday. He asked about meds that could prevent covid as he is an essential worker and we are in original epicenter of covid in US. Westchester NY.

These are the supplements one can get at CVS to take daily as preventative:

Melatonin. 

Healing Herbs in Soup or Tea:  Oregano, thyme, cinnamon, ginger, rosemary

Resveratrol Capsule, 500 mg once or twice a day--Optional

Zinc *also in coldeze product* 30-50 mg just 2-3 days a week. Use daily for five days if you have fever, cough

Other Optionals:  Vit C 500 mg once or twice a day

Vit D be it from sun or supplement

Olive Leaf

Quercetin 500 mg once or twice a day with a Vit C

I got no idea about a couple of these. Hopefully tomorrow i can do g00gle searches on same.

And a regular vitamin will not hurt.  Stay hydrated. Try to remain mobile. Wear a mask.  If you feel the need for an antibiotic, but be careful due to pneumonia, I use fish antibiotics amoxicillian for my lupus and MS.  And I got the zithromax fish antibiotics, the zpak, should i develop an unusual fever for me.
I totally agree with ICE on all these subjects. I take Quercetin at least three times a week and zinc 30mg three times a week. I take vitamin d3 1000. His advice is the key to therapeutics.
" The Intuitive Mind Is a Sacred Gift and the Rational Mind Is a Faithful Servant " AE
hxxps://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/11/30/nation/so-you-had-nice-thanksgiving-you-might-have-been-exposed-coronavirus-heres-what-cdc-says-you-should-do/

The official advice was: Don’t travel — and celebrate Thanksgiving only with your own household. But some people certainly did travel and gather in larger groups for the turkey, the fixings, and the holiday cheer.

Now, some may also be learning they were exposed to the coronavirus during the get-togethers.

Here’s what the US Centers for Disease Control recommends you do if you were exposed.

The CDC says you should:

— Stay home for 14 days after your last contact with a person who has COVID-19.

— Stay away from others, especially those at increased risk of the virus.

— Keep an eye out for fever (100.4°F or higher), cough, shortness of breath, or other symptoms of COVID-19.

— Consider getting tested. Even if you test negative for COVID-19 or feel healthy, you should still quarantine yourself for 14 days after your last contact with a person who has COVID-19. This is because symptoms may appear later or you may be contagious without symptoms.

— Don’t travel until 14 days after you were exposed.

The agency offered further recommendations for people who can’t completely quarantine themselves, including:

— Stay 6 feet away from people.

— Wear a mask around others, including in the house.

— Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly.

The Massachusetts Department of Public Health on Monday morning tweeted out 10 tips for people quarantining or self-monitoring at home.

If you do develop symptoms or if you test positive, the CDC said, “immediately notify the host and others who attended. They may need to inform other attendees about their possible exposure to the virus.”

Of course, you should also contact your doctor and follow the CDC-recommended steps for what to do if you become sick, and adhere to public health recommendations for community-related exposure, the agency said. And be prepared to help contact tracers looking to hunt down where the virus may have spread.

The state DPH reminded people in a tweet Monday that they can get tested in a number of hard-hit communities free of charge and with no symptoms.