Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COVID UPDATES. TIME TO DECIDE ABOUT SPREADING COVID
(03-21-2020, 05:14 PM)Charon Wrote: The elderly and those with underlying immune system issues were allowed to shop from 6-8 am at local store. Some official changed the hours late last nite. 6-7 am only.

When houseshare got there, the shelves were empty. and One woman had run in and had  Isopropel Alcohol in her carts. All of it.  And all these young men came in laughing and saying they were there for their parents.  Balderdash.  They were BSing around in store I am told.

Sorry to hear that.

We have exactly the same problem in the UK. The big stores are hiring thousands of new staff to restock the shelves more quickly. No supply side shortage, so if people bought more normally it would all be fine. Luckily panic buying is normally a relatively short-lived behavioural response to uncertainty. Not saying it'll stop tomorrow, but it won't go on forever (people hit a saturation point when they have a full cupboard). Besides I think governments may have to act. I don't like the idea of rationing being imposed, but we may see police at major stores if people don't calm down. Stores have tried to impose item limits and it might be that police enforce that. So much for the British "blitz spirit". I hear the British army are getting instructions to work on a plan to deliver food and household goods to the vulnerable.

Due to my anxiety disorder I bought hand gel and isopropyl alcohol very early. I won't lie, when I saw the ebay prices I was tempted to make money selling it (10x what I paid), but I can't bring myself to do it as I think it immoral (although not actually illegal in the UK). I supplied my elderly parents with gel which was always the aim, but then able to give away small bottles of gel to friends and neighbours. People have reciprocated by swapping it for food. I'm trying, with my psychology hat on, to start a virtuous circle of local help. Even the look of gratitude on someone's face when I give them free alcohol gel is worth it. I'm giving them to local shops because their staff are also in the front line.
God bless u Barq. And protect u and ur parents. and all u have helped.

You are good people.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel
the policy at stop and shop was two per person of hand sanitizer. So the witch, noticing houseshare was watching her, used a self check out counter and got them all.

Please shut down self check out unless it can ration items also.

Cannot order online? Unfortunately, i would stay here. and i did not know about coronavirus until i started reading facebook for apts to rent. So i am way behind.

So, i know i sound end of world as we know it, it wont be for vast majority of u. I am likely one of the oldest here.

Be safe all. And God bring u and ur loved ones thru this. In Jesus precious name I pray.
I live in one of the states that's in lockdown. Strange times...!

Also keep in mind that IOPs in countries that go into lockdown may have issues getting orders out. It's probably a good idea to stock up now...
hxxps://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/health/coronavirus-cure-gargle-water.html?fbclid=IwAR0lidj9-F3EboGuM0kjmV422ChmQcoAoRCiWdzKRT5uY4XdZDxk-umvdOs

That ‘Miracle Cure’ You Saw on Facebook? It Won’t Stop the Coronavirus
Gargling warm salty water, taking vitamins or heating your nasal passages won’t eliminate the virus or keep it from reaching your lungs.

By Jacey Fortin
March 18, 2020

There is little evidence that vitamins and other dietary supplements can protect you from the coronavirus in any consistent or significant way.Credit...Tony Cenicola/The New York Times
There is no known cure for the new coronavirus.

Scientists are scrambling to find treatments and vaccines for the virus, which causes the illness Covid-19, and health care professionals are working to stop the spread of misinformation.

It’s a tough battle. On social media, memes have become efficient vectors of bad advice, often with urgent instructions or dystopian graphics. One, misstating the benefits of gargling salty water, shows the virus as a cluster of green burrs infecting the throat of a glowing blue man.

One series of posts with bad advice — including claims that sunshine could kill the virus and that ice cream should be avoided — tacked on the name UNICEF.

“This is, of course, not true,” said Christopher Tidey, a spokesman for UNICEF, the United Nations Children’s Fund.

“Misinformation during times of a health crisis can result in people being left unprotected or more vulnerable to the virus,” he said. “It can also spread paranoia, fear and stigmatization, and have other consequences, like offering a false sense of protection.”

Here are some of the false claims that are spreading via Twitter, Facebook and WhatsApp.

Gargling warm water
There is no evidence that gargling warm water with salt or vinegar “eliminates” the coronavirus, a claim that has gone viral as part of a meme — the one with the glowing blue man — in multiple languages. It suggests that the coronavirus lingers in the throat for days before it reaches the lungs, and that a good gargle can stop the virus in its tracks.

That’s not true. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said that gargling salty, warm water is one of many ways to soothe a sore throat, but there is no evidence that doing this will kill the coronavirus.

Disinformation shared on social media.
Credit...via Twitter
“It won’t stop it from getting into the lungs,” said Dr. Paul Offit, an infectious disease expert at the University of Pennsylvania and the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. “What it could do is decrease inflammation, which would make your throat less sore.”

Drinking water frequently
Some social media posts suggest that if you sip water every 15 minutes or so, you can protect yourself from the virus — which, in this scenario, has made its way to your mouth — by flushing it into your stomach. The idea here is that it wouldn’t enter your trachea, which leads to the lungs.

Latest Updates: Coronavirus Outbreak
Senate debate turns angry as Schumer and Mnuchin try to salvage $1.8 trillion aid package.
Wall Street struggles as the Fed acts and Congress stalls.

But that’s false. Staying hydrated is a good idea generally, and the C.D.C. says that healthy people can get their fluid needs by drinking when thirsty and with meals. But there is no evidence that frequent sips keep the virus from entering the lungs.

SEARCHING FOR TREATMENT A new study from China said that a once promising antiviral drug combination didn’t work on the coronavirus.
Blasting hot air
A video that has been shared on Facebook claims that the virus cannot survive in hot temperatures. It shows a woman aiming a hair dryer at her face with the goal of heating her sinuses to the “coronavirus kill temperature” of 133 degrees. Elsewhere on social media, people have suggested that hand dryers can kill the virus.

But there is no clear evidence that this works. According to the World Health Organization, the virus cannot be killed by hand dryers, and it appears that it can survive in hot temperatures (and in cold temperatures).

A Unicef spokesman said that this advice is wrong and did not come from the organization.

Dr. Offit said that there was some research indicating that warming the nasal passage might help the immune system combat a virus. But he added that breathing near steam — like sitting over a bowl of hot soup — was a much better idea than aiming a hair dryer at your face.

“Do the soup thing,” he said. “That’s better than forcing air into your nose.”

Ingesting colloidal silver
Many claims about the benefits of colloidal silver come from companies that sell the product.

Colloidal silver comes in different forms — often as a bottled liquid with silver particles — and is promoted as a dietary supplement. But according to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, evidence about the medical benefits are lacking, and silver can be harmful. One possible side effect is a condition called argyria, a blue-gray skin discoloration. Colloidal silver could also hinder the absorption of some drugs.

Last week, the Food and Drug Administration said that it had warned seven companies to stop selling products, including colloidal silver, that the companies suggested cure or prevent the coronavirus.

Getting some sun
It is not yet known what effect sunlight or ultraviolet light has on the new coronavirus. And if the virus is already reproducing inside of a human body, ultraviolet light — from the sun or from a lamp — can’t reach it.

A walk in the sunshine might be good for your mental and physical health if you practice social distancing. And there is evidence that ultraviolet light can inactivate viruses, including flu viruses, particularly in laboratory settings.

The W.H.O. warns, however, that ultraviolet light lamps should not be used to sterilize hands or other body parts because they can irritate the skin.

Taking your vitamins
Social media is full of suggestions about taking additional vitamins — C is a popular one — and ingesting things like garlic, pepper, mint or elderberry. But there is little evidence that these foods and supplements can protect you in any consistent or significant way.

Vitamin C, which is an antioxidant, hasn’t shown a consistent benefit for treating or preventing illnesses like the common cold. And as with many things, it can be harmful in large doses. “Do not take large quantities of an antioxidant knowing that your body needs to maintain a balance,” Dr. Offit said.

Evidence that elderberry can help people with flu symptoms is spotty. Garlic may have some antimicrobial properties, but there is no evidence that it has protected people from the coronavirus.

In short, vitamins and nutrients can be good, especially if they come from a balanced diet. But they can’t be relied upon to protect people from a pandemic.

So what should we do?
“Sound preparation, based on scientific evidence, is what is needed at this time,” said Mr. Tidey, of UNICEF.

The C.D.C. offers the following guidance on what you can do to minimize your chances of contracting the virus: Wash your hands often, avoid touching your face and practice social distancing. You can also protect others by covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze, staying home when sick and disinfecting surfaces.

The W.H.O. has partnered with tech companies, including Google, Facebook and Twitter, to fight bad information about the coronavirus, and its website has debunked claims about saline, antibiotics, chlorine and other substances.

Here is more coverage from The New York Times about the things you can do to stay safe.
Lord Have mercy, Hundreds of elderly in nursing homes were left by caregivers. In Spain. All died in the nursing home.

And now the Daily News tells us that the President claims if we don't revive the economy forthwith, many will kill themselves. Balderdash.

And when i was young and reeling from depression and the need to excel in all things in the town in which we lived, Ok, I did try it a few times. A fiance would not let me go to college cuz he never graduated high school. I was not as strong as I am now. One hundred sleeping pills and i lived. Oh I left him and went on to become an ethical Attorney at Law. Unfortunately, there were too few of us.

When I studied the history of Ireland and my people were fasting in prison for freedom, and I was doing a thesis on the Depression, I got immensely depressed. So i chose to not eat food. And then i stopped liquids. And I tell u what, I was dying and seeing awful awful images. So I called out Jesus. And my sister came in and said please please have a cup of tea and some toast, please? for me? And man after what i witnessed, I never thought of attempting it again.

I was retiring from forums. I am aged and ill. No hope of recovery. Then this happened. And so much fear and horror exists. I could not do so when people depend on me for truth. Honesty. Pep talks in private mail.

I have even ventured to the horrible FB pages. They are such cruel people. So mean to each other. No, I cannot allow that. I have been mocked for so many years, what are a few idiots gonna do to me now with horrible words.

Thank God we have some form of peace in this forum.

And a Man of God, a priest, in Italy, with coronavirus, gave up his ventolater to a younger person. In the Bible we learn that no greater love has a man than he whom will give up his life to save another. Some understood the sacrifice of the Priest. It is in line with Gods word if one spent their entire life seeking the Lord. Some claimed I bet it was a girl he was dating. Woe to those whom disrespect the Men and Women of God whom put their lives on hold to help others.

The Priest is in the arms of his Heavenly father now.

One sees the best and the worst of others during times of crisis.

God bless us all. Quite a few of us here are believers.

Maybe that is why the President is stalling on supplies to NYC and westchester hospitals. Maybe he feels they are hurting his record as President and he seemingly has no concern. Horrifying.
What is going on in France? I heard potential good news about a treatment combining hydroxychloroquin with azithromycin (Z-pack.) The French researchers have been testing it on patients and 100% were cured by the 6th day of treatment. That would be huge, not only the treatment being successful, but also being it could help prevent Covid-19 from spreading as fast as it is. Having it gone in 5-6 days vs. 20 days would make a drastic change in numbers. However I’ve also been seeing US articles about it being dangerous to take due to unknown side effects. I’m skeptical on this issue. Now does Trump just want the US to find it’s own cure because well “big pharma” or is it really unsafe? That information I have found in the paper, however thru hearsay I have heard the US is in fact testing this on some patients in NY- anyone know if this is in fact true?
~~Patience is the gateway to success~~
A flash of potential good news from the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic: A treatment is showing promise. Doctors in France, South Korea and the U.S. are using an antimalarial drug known as hydroxychloroquine with success. We are physicians treating patients with Covid-19, and the therapy appears to be making a difference. It isn’t a silver bullet, but if deployed quickly and strategically the drug could potentially help bend the pandemic’s “hockey stick” curve.

Hydroxychloroquine is a common generic drug used to treat...

TO READ THE FULL STORY hxxps://www.wsj.com/articles/these-drugs-are-helping-our-coronavirus-patients-11584899438

This was available to me cuz i have lupus. we may have some here as houseshare has lupus also. it, combined with zithromax antibiotic can stop the spread to pneumonia. it always worked for me as i am prone to pneumonia. i missed getting any from fish antibiotics store this time.

Those combined can work. And i just read a nurses acct of life in NYC and a drs fear of covid 19. he contracted Ebola with Doctors without borders and lived. but he is terrified of this virus. And the nurses stated all of them come in with allergy eye. red imbedded in their eyes.

No regular patients are admitted. everyone is covid. the first younger person died today. we shall reach the apex in NY within three weeks. earlier than cuomo thought. and now trump wants to open up the city to all to keep the economy alive.

so there is hope. esp if we keep our drs and nurses safe. we have not received the protective equipment. cops cannot wear it.

and people are still breaking the law by congregating.

there is another drug that trump mentioned that begins with c. it was easy to get. and some have died from it.

But the first has been effective in lupus which attacks our lungs. And i can only take two antibiotics. zpak or zithromax would take my constant bronchitis from becoming pneumonia.

It would work it seems.
(03-22-2020, 03:35 PM)Charon Wrote: the policy at stop and shop was two per person of hand sanitizer. So the witch, noticing houseshare was watching her, used a self check out counter and got them all.

Please shut down self check out unless it can ration items also.

Cannot order online? Unfortunately, i would stay here. and i did not know about coronavirus until i started reading facebook for apts to rent. So i am way behind.

So, i know i sound end of world as we know it, it wont be for vast majority of u. I am likely one of the oldest here.

Be safe all. And God bring u and ur loved ones thru this. In Jesus precious name I pray.
This is news which many of u are trying to avoid cuz of issues of anxiety. As a girl i got stared at so much by men and people and made to sing solo first soprano. Run a law office at thirteen cuz me mother had a problem with liquor and me father made an inappriate comment to a student. He was devestated. me older sisters, by ten yrs., did nothing. so it was on me as youngest to appear in Ct. Judges thought it was so cute. I spent my life helping me father run an ethical law office thereafter. Was his caregiver at home as we Irish die. And I got me mother off the whiskey whilst i was her caregiver ten yrs later. Cuz i promised me father to do so. The older sisters said: oh hell no.

So, i was incredibly shy. I would still be anxiety central but for the fact of my closeness with the Lord. And responsibility that I had to take on very young.

So this news does not make me afraid. I stood in front of my neighbor, a real bitch, whom was always making her corrections officer late by coming home at six fifteen when he had a shift at six am. A neighbor and i were the watch patrol. So i ran out and stood in front of her and said to the husband: U can explain shooting ur wife. She is an unfaithful bitch and we all hate her. But how can u explain shooting Preacher Lady from next door? Officer, please give me the gun. And he did. I ran to defend a man attacked by six crack dealers whom tried to beat him down at five am. I called police. ran out with my police flashite that blinds them. and held my gun up. I carried the bullets in my hand as i wont kill another. But i saved him. And those idiot crack dealers lined up with hands on wall till cops arrived. And i am a wee tiny woman. But working in Da Bronx, i learned to talk tough. With bullets in my hand.

So, there is something in me that responds to a crisis. I have no fear. I have a job to do. I have felt this always. Put others first.

So if u want some relative good news: I now trust Gov Cuomo. We have the highest number of cases nationwide. As we do in Westchester. However, we have forty thousand retired health care workers whom have come back to work. Volunteer. Gov Cuomo rather grits his teeth when trump says lets be open by easter to large crowds again. OH HELL NO, with all due respect Mr. President.

I am reading what my nieces are doing to organize masks being made. food delivered. dogs walked. animal rescue. Protecting their parents whom are older and have under lying illness. And what other NYers are doing.

I saw my state respond to 911 and I developed tremendous respect heightened by our people whom ran to be first responders, second wave. Most have now died. As heroes.

My state is the worst. And my county is the worst. But i see how cuomo fights to demand the ventilators. To get a reasonable budget. To get people to help each other. At a distance.

By total lockdown on all gatherings, the rise in NY is not rising as rapidly as was first thought. Westchester is only 5000 people. The City is so dense, it is high. But we are gonna lead the rest of the states in how to deal with this.

And, when the apex has passed, we shall move all our ventilators and extra hospital beds and our medical professionals to other states to help them.

NY will get a handle on this. We shall. And we shall then help other states. Because in NY, we actually care about each other. We have to be tough to have worked in the City. And we are survivors.

So, everyone, dont let panic or fear defeat u. Those of us in the midst of chaos are quite used to chaos in our lives.

And we do our best to help those others in chaos.

Together, we can do this.

And to the stupid blackguards whom are spitting on Health Minister in Ireland, and to the young people in Ireland whom are running up to terrified elderly and touching them and tagging them with covid, I wish i could speak to a few of u. You are not the Irish. Not the people I know at all. You are thugs, criminals, scum of the earth.

Your states will be ok. Our state will lead the way. Without fear or anxiety. Ok, i really wish i had known about this earlier to get zithromax. Fish antibiotics are on lockdown.

Now maybe the Pres wants all out in Easter finery. Politically motivated or pure stupidity. With all due respect, Mr. President, NYers are not stupid enuff to follow ur orders. We are following the cases wherein people are recovering. Only 3 per cent have died in NYC after treatment.

One problem not addressed yet. I see those whom were to quarantine for two weeks or so, are still in quarantine as they still test positive for covid. Asymptomatic. And if we follow the Spanish Flu of1918, we see that the people thought it was over when summer arrived. And returned to normal activities. But it returned in the winter with fuller force and effect. Millions died.

We are testing usage of antibodies that those recovered have made. We have testing kits wherein one gets answers in 24 hrs. The lupus drug for malaria, combined with zithromax is working. But those of us over65 or those with weakened immune systems and underlying illness may need to be hospitalized. On a ventilator. in ICU. And we shall have the beds and ventilators and health care workers whom are returning after retirement to help. And our governor promised that he will not allow one life to be lost due to our age. He calls it Matildas Law in respect for his mom. She is not expendable he said. Nor is ur mother or grandmother.

We shall lead the way. So fear not. Don't let the isolation overcome you. Post here. Trust me, we care. You all know i am weird but intensely passionate about being the Extra Mother to all of you. And Ice Wizard has risen to the challenge of my being sick for a bit till this started, by doing games and answering questions on vendors. I keep my hard drive free from research on vendors. Always have. My job is to be here when someone presents an emotional or physical need that i can address. In email or PM.

So, if u r freaking out still, email me. Pm me. Even just to have me pray for u personally on the spot in email.

i aint retiring any time soon. Nor shall i die but live. My work on this earth is not finished.

I am here if u need someone. Love u all. And, frankly, I do. Even some ne'er do wells. Cuz u are all my children to me.

Be strong. Follow NYs lead. It will be ok once again. It will. Please forgive me. I know i am a wacky doodle woman but it was how i amused myself in some treacherous life styles i was in. And my illnesses cuz a breakdown of my brain. So i don't always make sense. But i got a damned good heart and if anyone is afraid, I am here. k?

Fear not.