Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
**** P.S.A. ****
I just received this message from a friend and figured I'd pass it along::::

Quote:Good morning.  I just got a phishing attempt here from lockandload. 
I didn't open it and I think it's from tutanota.com.  Be aware that this is the 
same phishing attempt that was going on with members from another 
forum and it is from hackers that then get the contact lists and when 
someone attempts to make a payment to a vendor they interrupt and 
tell the customers to send btc or WU to a foreign country instead.  
A lot of people lost money because of this on DBG and now I just 
got a phishing attempt here.  I'm hoping it doesn't spread to IOP but
 people need to be aware of this if they get it.  The message says 
confidential message from lockandload. 

Don't let anyone open it and click on the link.  Please.

Also when they get the contacts and can spy on people's conversations they use fake
email accounts that look like they are from the original vendor but are not.
For example they might use yourfriend@tutanota.com instead of my
yourfirend@protonmail.com or something like friendsname@protonmail.com.

The people need to put the cursor over the email address sent to make sure that
it's from the real person and not something "similar" which is a fake.

Just in case I deleted my entire contact list from IOP at this email address.

Ice
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
Please read this all members of this forum. It is affecting some vendors already.

This is quite serious.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Thank you for the warning! Scammers make me sick. Is there any advice on Mobile users? I have to open the email to see who it’s from, as long as I don’t click any links- is opening the email safe?
~~Patience is the gateway to success~~
if its from lockandload, whom is not a member here, u should be ok. Don't open it. Don't click any link.

I got shady messages from that name awhile ago and never checked them. Thank you for looking out!
Thank u for letting us know. A friend of Ice and mine, warned us. Often, members will tell Ice or me about strange Pms.

But u r wise, B J. Newer members: Keep in mind you are targets of the bad guys. So be wise. Don't even open it.

Charon, IceWizard and the rest of our vigilant admins and mods, thank you for the warning.  You fine people are what seperates this forum from the others.  Always looking out for others....that says a lot of a persons character.

Thank you
Thanks IceWizard. I received this email, but quickly became suspicious and did not click on it.

The web links in the email went to tinyurl addresses which immediately made me suspicious. I'm pretty sure it forwarded on to tutanota.com, but not the specific page or what information was going to be passed across if I clicked the link. Too many unanswered questions, too much weirdness, so I ignored the email. I'll admit I was curious, but I appreciate the confirmation it is a scam (seemingly quite an elaborate one).

I really hope others on IOPlist don't get caught up in this.
Thanks for the warning. I didn’t know scammers would use yourfriendname@ then their company name. I’ll check email more carefully.
The vendor could not possibly have known that this new scam had been used at other forums. And then the arse Lockandload hit members here.
I know one vendor this occurred to. He or she immediately sent warnings for us to put up. I think I put up eight in Various sections of forum.

It is my understanding that the thief has to contact intended buyer with info as to a change in sending area. And a change in in payment methods. That is the clue to watch for.

The vendors in question are very concerned about their reputations. WE PUT UP WARNINGS ABOUT THIS ALL OVER.
Entitled What you must read to protect our vendors.

I guess not everyone read all those threads. Sorry. These are desperate times for criminals as well.