Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
anxiety/depression help you cope with pandemic
I read an article that said people with history of anxiety and depression are doing ok during this pandemic. They theorize that people who have dealt with anxiety and depression have learned coping skills to be functional in an uncertain world. In my experience I tend to agree. For me dealing with this pandemic has been less stressful and difficult than some of the dark episodes I have experienced. Anyone else feel that their past experiences with anxiety and depression has helped them cope during this pandemic?
I have experienced Hell throughout much of my life. I learned to forgive people as they hurt me. and when covid hit, i was so exhausted. been doing forums 25 yrs as i had the time and the disability. I was just thinking of retiring when BHAM: covid 19 hit. And I had to be concerned about all the people whom could be upset. And then I was asked to join the Remembering Lives Touched by Covid 19 so i had to venture into Facebook territory. I have ignored it but for a few family members. And those rat bastards at facebook, they just want to fight. Democrat v. Republican. No, it is not. We are mainly American. Red, white and blue states.

But yes, I dealt with anxiety and depression for most of my life. And, I can put it aside and cope with whatever to help others whom don't have my past history. Many of us I bet reach that ability when we have been thru a lot but have kept our hearts open. And we have trained ourselves to not have panic attacks if possible.

Interesting topic. Thank you for contributing.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

(05-13-2020, 08:14 PM)Charon Wrote: I have experienced Hell throughout much of my life. I learned to forgive people as they hurt me.  and when covid hit, i was so exhausted. been doing forums 25 yrs as i had the time and the disability.  I was just thinking of retiring when BHAM:  covid 19 hit. And I had to be concerned about all the people whom could be upset.  And then I was asked to join the Remembering Lives Touched by Covid 19 so i had to venture into Facebook territory.  I have ignored it but for a few family members. And those rat bastards at facebook, they just want to fight. Democrat v. Republican.  No, it is not. We are mainly American. Red, white and blue states.

But yes, I dealt with anxiety and depression for most of my life.  And, I can put it aside and cope with whatever to help others whom don't have my past history. Many of us I  bet reach that ability when we have been thru a lot but have kept our hearts open. And we have trained ourselves to not have panic attacks if possible.

Interesting topic. Thank you for contributing.
 Facebook has being sparring grounds Dems vs Rep since before Trump was elected. I like that fb has a snooze feature to allow you not to see friends post for 30 days. The political fighting is ridiculous and exhausting.
Okokok,
Agree with charon interesting topic.

I also suffer from anxiety and depression. Actually super anxiety if there is anything called that. Lol
I was dealing with all this COVID stuff fine for the first 6 weeks or so. But I am finding now my anxiety seems to be increasing. I do know why. I am desperate to fly to my moms to make sure she is ok and spend time with her. Same with my brother who lives in the same area. They are both comprised and I constantly worry about them even though I talk to my mom sometimes twice a day. And their state has opened up many things this week where as my state is still basically closed. I also usually travel for work and that has been curtailed for the rest of the year. So I’m not getting out at all except the grocery store, and small stuff. I planted flowers outside thinking that would keep me busy for awhile but I got that done in a week. I have no interest in cleaning my closets, organizing stuff, etc which I should do.
My workday just runs into the evening, it’s been hard to keep boundaries. I have talked to everyone I possibly know on the,phone at least twice, I tried to cook new meals since I now have the time, but the downside to that is I eat everything. Ha, ha. Really I do.

But one thing I do know is this won’t last forever, it will end. And if I gain a few pounds from being at home all the time, loosing that weight will give me something to do when this is over!

And I do agree with your statement.... I have had much darker times in the past and at least now I am more aware how easy it is for me to get into a funk. So I am on it but it isn’t easy.

So let’s all try to have a less of an anxiety week.

OR
I feel u r not super anxious for naught. You are concerned about your Mom and your brother. Nah, I am not cleaning yet either.

People all speak about using zoom or such to see your mom. and your brother. Would that help?

It seems like they are safe. But my heart goes out to you Orange Rabbit. I am very used to being alone. My son finally called me for Mother's Day. He is in science and an essential worker. But for reasons unknown, I somehow added a crying cat to his name on the smart phone. Took me awhile to find that cat. But my son is notorious for not calling me. Then, he thought about what I said. Lack of monies. No stimulus check. And, i gotta move whenever Landlord is allowed to evict us. So today my son, rocket scientist of the world, sent me bottled water. Very nice esp for how much he is under his wife's control. Yum. But it makes me smile to know he even cares.

When the worst is over, U will see your Mom and Brother and they will be fine. And we shall get through this. Most of us. And your anxiety levels will drop. No more super anxious. But the causitive factor is the amt of time u r waiting to see your loved ones. Many with underlying conditions have recovered. I lift up your mom and brother and you, and i know u are not into religion and stuff, but I gotta lift up your mom, your brother and you, In Jesus' precious name, that He grant you all health and healing and gives you the peace that surpasses understanding.

*i had to do that. I know, OR* So, here is to less anxiety this week for all. And weight? pshaw. If one has food, it is normal to eat to relieve stress. You will make it, OR. promise.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Unfortunately I cannot say the same, I feel my anxiety has gotten much worse, and my depression falling deeper as this virus continues. Little back story...way back when I was in HS I always thought I was fat which was part of what started my depression. No one ever knew because I was an all star athlete and (played sports all year round), had many friends, etc. I always wore a smile but deep inside crying bc I hated myself. I was shy, and always questioning how people looked at me. Anyway fast forward to now- when I look back I wish I could slap some sense into my younger self bc I was not fat at all. When I went to college I really did gain weight, a lot more after my pregnancy, like a lot.

The one thing that has always helped both my depression and anxiety was going to the gym and working out. During my “gym time” after work I’m able to clear my head, focus on the now and felt so good every time I left. I lost 80lbs last year and was finally starting to feel a little better knowing my goal was 60lbs away.  Since the gyms have been closed since March I’ve been gaining it all right back. It’s not even about food, I’ve seen endless nutritionists and they were all stumped. The only way I can lose weight is by working out. Lately my anxiety and temper is becoming shorter by the day. I’m constantly thinking about when this is going to end, when things will open, what life is going to be like as I’m sure many people are, but it’s more of an obsession for me. I lose sleep over it. I’ve been having more nightmares now than ever before.

I haven’t stopped working thru all of this either which I believe is the only thing keeping me sane. Even though I put in 10k steps or more a day it’s just not the same. Funny bc I’m not even a gym rat, I just go for 1-2hrs after work and it does wonders for my mental health. So unfortunately my answer to the OP is no, pre-existing anxiety and depression has not helped me thru this.. for me it’s only made it worse.
Sorry that came out wayyyyy longer than I thought, but if anyone has any other coping mechanisms I’m all ears or eyes rather Smile
~~Patience is the gateway to success~~
I’ve been attributing it to the fact that because of my anxiety I am completely a homebody. And Since I have a bunch of kiddos I’m usually having to run around constantly, my days are jam packed with school, work, spots, shopping etc. even though I now have the added pressure of being a teacher, and a greater financial stress, I find comfort in staying in and just enjoying my family. I just keep trying to find the positives in all of this and remind myself this is just temporary.
(05-14-2020, 12:14 AM)BeReel1010 Wrote: Unfortunately I cannot say the same, I feel my anxiety has gotten much worse, and my depression falling deeper as this virus continues. Little back story...way back when I was in HS I always thought I was fat which was part of what started my depression. No one ever knew because I was an all star athlete and (played sports all year round), had many friends, etc. I always wore a smile but deep inside crying bc I hated myself. I was shy, and always questioning how people looked at me. Anyway fast forward to now- when I look back I wish I could slap some sense into my younger self bc I was not fat at all. When I went to college I really did gain weight, a lot more after my pregnancy, like a lot.

The one thing that has always helped both my depression and anxiety was going to the gym and working out. During my “gym time” after work I’m able to clear my head, focus on the now and felt so good every time I left. I lost 80lbs last year and was finally starting to feel a little better knowing my goal was 60lbs away.  Since the gyms have been closed since March I’ve been gaining it all right back. It’s not even about food, I’ve seen endless nutritionists and they were all stumped. The only way I can lose weight is by working out. Lately my anxiety and temper is becoming shorter by the day. I’m constantly thinking about when this is going to end, when things will open, what life is going to be like as I’m sure many people are, but it’s more of an obsession for me. I lose sleep over it. I’ve been having more nightmares now than ever before.

I haven’t stopped working thru all of this either which I believe is the only thing keeping me sane. Even though I put in 10k steps or more a day it’s just not the same. Funny bc I’m not even a gym rat, I just go for 1-2hrs after work and it does wonders for my mental health. So unfortunately my answer to the OP is no, pre-existing anxiety and depression has not helped me thru this.. for me it’s only made it worse.
Sorry that came out wayyyyy longer than I thought, but if anyone has any other coping mechanisms I’m all ears or eyes rather Smile
Have you tried working out with app or online?  I try and do 15 mins a day.  I’m wfh as well and I completely agree it’s the only thing keeping me sane and providing some structure to my day. The first month in quarantine I think I put on 15 pounds. 

my dreams too have gotten way more vivid. I think for all of us we are faced with such a departure from security.  I only hope that as time goes on we will all adjust.

Hey OR

I’m with you and the not organizing closets and such. I’ve been wfh for 7 weeks and I have not been in my closet. I can wear the same comfy joggers without needing to look at my work clothing! I put on a pair of jeans to just gauge the damage and it was not pretty. But for the first time in my life I’m not stressing about weight. It will come off when I’m ready to focus on it and instead of eating sweets.

I understand your worry about your mom and brother. My dad is compromised and I did not see him for 5 weeks. He is not technologically savvy so no zoom or FaceTime calls either. The only solace was I know that but not visiting him I was keeping him safe. But it’s hard. I feel for you.
Thanks charon for the words of support. You are the best!!!! And I do appreciate the prayer.
OR

AND

Thanks happy vibe.
Same here. My mom still has a flip phone and has issues using that so no zoom with her.
My problem is not eating sweets, I’m just eating everything in site. My jeans were not pretty also. And to think they were loose before this.

There are some things to laught about
(05-14-2020, 12:14 AM)BeReel1010 Wrote: Unfortunately I cannot say the same, I feel my anxiety has gotten much worse, and my depression falling deeper as this virus continues. Little back story...way back when I was in HS I always thought I was fat which was part of what started my depression. No one ever knew because I was an all star athlete and (played sports all year round), had many friends, etc. I always wore a smile but deep inside crying bc I hated myself. I was shy, and always questioning how people looked at me. Anyway fast forward to now- when I look back I wish I could slap some sense into my younger self bc I was not fat at all. When I went to college I really did gain weight, a lot more after my pregnancy, like a lot.

I am sorry you are having a tough time. is there anyway you can workout at home? I take barre class but the studio is closed. I am doing it online but it’s not the same. I don’t work as hard at home. Today I went for a jog/walk. It felt good. I felt exhausted afterwards like I do when I went to the studio. I will be incorporating jog/walk into my daily routine. I am so slow but I don’t care. I go to a nearby trail that isn’t popular. I saw 5 total people and did not speak to any. I am not wearing a mask and I do hold my breath when I pass a person. I can’t workout with a mask, I have enough trouble just breathing while running,lol.

Have your tried writing exercise called Morning Pages by Julia Cameron. It really helped me with getting my mind to shut the hell up and stop ruminating thoughts. I use a cheap spiral notebook and do it middle of the day or whenever. I never reread it and throw it away when it is full. (Google it, Idk if I can post links)

h**ps://juliacameronlive.com/basic-tools/morning-pages/

I hope today is a little bit better than yesterday.

I’m definitely not organizing closets. We had purged a lot prior to covid. My clothes and drawers could still use more purging. I don’t have the desire to do it and I am ok with it,

I think lots of people will gain weight being home. It’s way to easy to eat anytime and lots of people are wearing stretchy lounge clothes. Going back to fitted clothes will be interesting.