Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone else seem to have a summer version of Seasonal Affective Disorder?
As defined by Wikipedia: Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a mood disorder subset in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the year exhibit depressive symptoms at the same time each year, most commonly in winter.Common symptoms include sleeping too much, having little to no energy, and overeating. The condition in the summer can include heightened anxiety.

hxxps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

Around 20 years ago, I noticed that I became irritable and even more introverted than normal during the summer months when it was brutally hot where I lived at the time. S.A.D. was already a thing, but it was almost exclusively attributed to winter months and people thought I was just being a "weirdo" or "faking" when I told them that summer brings me misery.

It's not that I don't enjoy warmer weather sometimes when on vacation or something - I love a nice beach and cocktail. It's the horrible feeling of walking outside into what feels like a sauna and instantly sweating and breathing fire every single day for months. I couldn't stand it and it really affected my mood, and eventual mental health.

I live in a much cooler climate now and am thankful for that, but even with the "new" definition of S.A.D. above that includes spring and summer seasons, I feel like summer S.A.D. is rare.

Am I alone in this?
Summer SAD is rare, but it's not unheard of. I know of friends of friends who experience it.
Oh wow! I just read your post and felt it was describing me! About 10 years ago I started having lower back pain and all of a sudden starting that summer, I started getting depressed but since then it’s only in the summers. We go on cruises and always in the Caribbean and I can handle that for vacation but the sweating and heat and the bright sun when I’m home and when it’s really hot just depresses me and I don’t want to go outside. I live in the Midwest so luckily the weather isn’t always that hot but when it does start soaring, I want nothing to do with going out or going to work and I just get depressed and don’t want to deal with people in general. I didn’t even realize there was a seasonal disorder! My friends and family just make fun of me and say I’m obviously allergic to the sun. I’m going to have to look into this more. Thanks for your post!
I have not heard of Summer SAD. Does it just happen when it is extra hot ? or all summer? I always thought SAD had to do with lack of sunlight, so it is good to know it may not be just that. Most of the females in my family have SAD but just in the winter, so now they head south for the winter. I will have to research it too. Interesting
I was diagnosed with it awhile back. This year it was very intense. I know if my levels of stress are too high then it makes it much worse!
My ex husband sort of had this. I’m not sure if it was but for example we would go for walks at night in summer so the sun wouldn’t get him. The sun made him angry. (Under the anger was deep sadness.) the heat upset him and it made things hard to do. This ended up causing more depression.

I’m not sure officially though if it’s connected with seasonal disorders but the summer thing can trigger pain and anxiety in the already depressed person. I seen that in real time.

Then practically other factors. For example. One personal example. I have very bad scars on my arms and legs. In winter I almost forget because publicly it doesn’t come up. I like winter because we can wear hoodies and jackets. I always feel more secure and protected socially. Even if you have no scars perhaps some people with anxiety like to wear oversized clothes and hide a little big if it all.

Lots of factors
Just as the weather turned warm back in May is when I had a huge increase in anxiety and depression I hadn’t seen in years. The docs did mention I could be suffering from SAD. I really hope it. I don’t want to look forward to this every summer.