Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ProtonMail
I know a lot of people use ProtonMail and I wondered if anyone has been suspended? Recently a friends account was suspended due to a potential policy violation. They are disputing it but I just wondered if anyone has experienced this. I am not sure how they could read his emails anyway because they are supposed to be encrypted, which makes me wonder about the safety of using ProtonMail.
Been using it for years without issue. Have read that they will shutdown accounts if they discover someone is using multiple free accounts.
(06-19-2021, 01:25 PM)alwaysanxious Wrote: I know a lot of people use ProtonMail and I wondered if anyone has been suspended? Recently a friends account was suspended due to a potential policy violation. They are disputing it but I just wondered if anyone has experienced this. I am not sure how they could read his emails anyway because they are supposed to be encrypted, which makes me wonder about the safety of using ProtonMail.

Wow, may be he used for spam ?  I don't see any other possibility .
You have other good ones alternatives like tutanote
CHECKED PROTONMAIL:

Information for Law Enforcement Authorities
The following information is provided for law enforcement authorities seeking information about users of the ProtonMail Service.

About ProtonMail
The ProtonMail Service provides secure e-mail service messaging to users around the world. You can learn about ProtonMail by visiting our website. The ProtonMail Service is offered by Swiss-based Proton Technologies AG. All user information is processed and stored by Proton Technologies AG in Switzerland.

Using ProtonMail for activities that break Swiss law is against ProtonMail’s Terms and Conditions. Under Swiss law, we are required to cooperate with law enforcement agencies on criminal investigations, within the framework of Swiss laws and privacy regulations.

Information Available from ProtonMail
ProtonMail collects user information in accordance with our Terms and Conditions, Privacy Policy and any applicable separate agreement such as a GDPR Data Processing Agreement or a HIPAA Business Associate Agreement. E-mails are stored on ProtonMail servers in encrypted format. They are also transmitted in encrypted format between our servers and user devices. E-mails between ProtonMail users are also transmitted with end-to-end encryption. Because data is encrypted at all steps, Proton Technologies AG cannot decrypt user messages.

ProtonMail User Notification Policy
Swiss law requires a user to be notified if a third party makes a request for their private data and such data is to be used in a criminal proceeding. However, in certain situations, notification can be delayed. This includes the following cases

Where providing notice is temporarily prohibited by the Swiss legal process itself, by Swiss court order, or applicable Swiss law;
Where, based on information supplied by law enforcement, we, in our absolute discretion, believe that providing notice could create a risk of injury, death, or irreparable damage to an identifiable individual or group of individuals
As a general rule though, targeted users will eventually be informed and afforded the opportunity to object to the data request, either by ProtonMail or by Swiss authorities.
Requesting Assistance
Whether you are a Swiss or a foreign law enforcement agency, please make your request for assistance directly to legal@protonmail.com. We will generally respond to you within 1 business day, although our response time is usually much shorter than this during Swiss business hours. More critical cases will automatically be given higher priority by our team.

We recommend law enforcement agencies contact us directly because it allows for faster responses and reaction times compared to official Swiss government channels which can take weeks or months to process requests. Our legal team will be able to advise you on whether or not we will be able to assist you with your particular case, and assist with the preservation of data if we believe that your request will be validated by Swiss authorities. For example, in ransomware cases, we can preserve information on which victims contacted the suspect, so that victims can be notified.

Depending on the nature of your case and which country the request is originating from, Proton Technologies AG may redirect you to competent Swiss authorities in order to respect the relevant Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) or for a Swiss case to be opened. If you are requesting that an email address being used for phishing, spamming, or abuse be disabled, we can generally assist without requiring a Swiss court order. Please address any request for suspension with relevant evidence to abuse@protonmail.com.***************REASONS FOR SUSPENSION

Required Information
We will be unable to process overly broad or vague requests. All requests must identify requested data with particularity and include the following:

The name of the issuing authority, name and badge or ID number of responsible agent, email address from a law enforcement domain and direct contact phone number
The specific ProtonMail account suspected of illegal activities
A copy of the police report or court order (either foreign or domestic)
A copy of the MLAT or international assistance request (if available)
Any requests must be submitted by emailing legal@protonmail.com.

Guidelines may change
Proton Technologies AG reserves the right to update this information periodically. Please consult it before making any future requests.

But, oh Yeah, Switzerland does cooperate with all law enforcement and is not under a duty to notify those under observation of same. Until it is time for Court it seems.

Sounds like Vendor screwed up. But i see many join here as members and all use protonmail.

Maybe I can find some info tomorrow. But expect safety no where for now.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

That is why I use quickforget as well as proton...

quickforget encrypts your msgs for x number of reads and also
you say how long it will be available (1 day, 2 days, ect)

So after your msg is read the set number of times OR the time frame is met
it is deleted...

So while proton to proton mail is encrypted end to end, the quickforget also
encrypts it... IF they can acquire your sent mail, they still have only so long
to unscramble your msg before it gets destroyed forever ...

Never had an issue with this being intercepted ...

Ice
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
I was also looking into Proton Mail and have decided to take the leap. Here is what I found out during the sign-up process! There are four different accounts that you ca sign up for the

-1st one is free and offers: Our FREE accounts include: 500MB storage, 150 messages per day, Limited Support
-Our PLUS accounts include: 5 GB storage, Send up to 1000 messages per day, Labels, Custom Filters, and Folders, Send encrypted messages to external recipients, Use your own domain (ex: john@smith.com), Up to 5 email aliases, Priority Customer Support (said it is 4euros/month)
- n addition to all Plus features, VISIONARY accounts also come with the following: 20GB storage, Up to 50 email aliases, Support for up to 10 domains, Multi-User Support (6 total), No sending limits*, Labels, Custom Filters, and Folders, Send encrypted messages to external recipients, Early access to new features, Includes access to ProtonVPN (24e/m

For me the free account seemed just fine. It then prompts you to create a user name and password followed by asking if you would like to register a recovery email. You then chose which version you would like (between the four I mentioned), verify you are a human, and Wa La! I now have a functioning proton email account. Very easy and straight forward. Even gives you the option to link other accounts so old emails can get encrypted (or at least that's what it seemed to imply) Hope this helps someone!
Namaste  Smile
(06-20-2021, 02:20 PM)IceWizard Wrote: That is why I use quickforget as well as proton...

quickforget encrypts your msgs for x number of reads and also
you say how long it will be available (1 day, 2 days, ect)

So after your msg is read the set number of times OR the time frame is met
it is deleted...

So while proton to proton mail is encrypted end to end, the quickforget also
encrypts it... IF they can acquire your sent mail, they still have only so long
to unscramble your msg before it gets destroyed forever ...

Never had an issue with this being intercepted ...

Ice

They’ve always used a quickforget as well but maybe they are confusing that with spam???

(06-22-2021, 06:12 AM)Dentscllyfe Wrote: I was also looking into Proton Mail and have decided to take the leap. Here is what I found out during the sign-up process!  There are four different accounts that you ca sign up for the

-1st one is free and offers: Our FREE accounts include: 500MB storage, 150 messages per day, Limited Support
-Our PLUS accounts include: 5 GB storage, Send up to 1000 messages per day, Labels, Custom Filters, and Folders, Send encrypted messages to external recipients, Use your own domain (ex: john@smith.com), Up to 5 email aliases, Priority Customer Support  (said it is 4euros/month)
- n addition to all Plus features, VISIONARY accounts also come with the following: 20GB storage, Up to 50 email aliases, Support for up to 10 domains, Multi-User Support (6 total), No sending limits*, Labels, Custom Filters, and Folders, Send encrypted messages to external recipients, Early access to new features, Includes access to ProtonVPN (24e/m

For me the free account seemed just fine.  It then prompts you to create a user name and password followed by asking if you would like to register a recovery email.  You then chose which version you would like (between the four I mentioned), verify you are a human, and Wa La! I now have a functioning proton email account.  Very easy and straight forward.  Even gives you the option to link other accounts so old emails can get encrypted (or at least that's what it seemed to imply) Hope this helps someone!

Yes they can create a new free account but of course would like to retain all the info and emails from their previous account. Hopefully the appeal for the suspension will go in his favor because he’s locked out from everything until then

(06-19-2021, 09:34 PM)ghostofjack Wrote: Been using it for years without issue. Have read that they will shutdown accounts if they discover someone is using multiple free accounts.

I read that and about spamming but it’s one free account. So unless using quickforget could be considered spamming, I’m confused...

(06-19-2021, 09:34 PM)ghostofjack Wrote: Been using it for years without issue. Have read that they will shutdown accounts if they discover someone is using multiple free accounts.

I’ve been using it personally for years with no problems as well. My friend only has one free account so unless using quickforget could be considered spamming, idk what the issue could be....
I’ve been using them for a couple of years now. I’ve never had any problems. I’ve used the quick forget feature some, but not every time. It’s probably a good idea to use it more often, particularly when contacting vendors. I like to have a copy of things until the birds land, but I often forget to delete them after that. And I’m TERRIBLE at remembering to empty my trash folder!

It does seem odd that they didn’t give a reason for the suspension to your friend. Or did I miss that part? And how long are they suspended for?
I wonder if the suspension is because there was email traffic between them and an address the police had marked or discovered to be a vendor. You mailbox is encrypted and Proton can't directly read your email, but the send address has to be in the clear otherwise mail servers wouldn't know what to do with it. So I reckon this is about metadata.

A vendor on this site introduced me to quickforget and it's definitely better than an unencrypted email (PGP would be best). I wonder if it gets crawled by the powers that be? Only quickforget would know, but it would show in their server logs. I keep the number of times a message can be read very low for this reason. Anyway if I feel the need to keep the text until after the bird has landed, I'd probably paste it into a draft email and save it there, without sending. Then you can have the security of having your message auto-destruct. You don't want it out there too long, especially if it has your address or real name.
They never gave an exact reason but his account was closed. He was able to create another free account and has been using it since. I wish I knew the exact reason and it maybe something mentioned above or they thought links from quickforgot were spam possibly…