Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trazadone
Its an oldie but a goodie. Not too often prescribed for depression anymore but works pretty well for sleep.

Anybody know where to find it?
Your best bet is your doctor. It's the number 1 prescribed sleep med. Just tell him you are having trouble sleeping but you have heard all the weird stories about people on ambien and don't want to become addicted. Works fine. Dirt cheap. No worries about refills. Always nice to have in the arsenal.
+1, very easy to get a script
Agreed - Almost any Doctor will try you on Trazadone when you first complain of insomnia. they hand them out like Pez dispensers without batting an eye.  That was the first med my GP put me on, and when I went back to him a week later and told him it was not having the desired effect, he shrugged and told me to chase it with some Nyquil, as Trazadone was all he was willing to prescribe.

That's when I went to work finding a highly rated psychiatrist to replace my GP, and found my Doc of the past 11 years, who has been an absolute godsend.

Funny thing, I still have 70 or so Trazodone tabs in a bottle on the top shelf of my medicine cabinet - Even though it didn't work for either my wife or I, I'm constantly reminding myself to toss it into the bug-out ruck, then constantly forgetting to do so.  The bug-out ruck contains a waterproof compartment, within which is a waterproof bag, within which there is  the pharmacological smorgasbord of our daily meds (120 days worth of each), plus Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Cipro, Amoxicillin, Cyclobenzaprine, Allegra, Zantac, Flonase, Advil Cold & Sinus, even 50 ampoules of 20mg Nalbuphine and 20 syringes, the closest approximate to the morphine syrettes we used to carry on Long Range Surveillance patrols when I was on active duty. Heck, no one in my family even suffers from diabetes, but I keep four 10ml bottles of Humira Insulin, along with 50 of those tiny insulin syringes in the bug-out ruck as well, you never know who you'll meet or what they will need.

Go ahead and say it - I've heard it all - But when whatever happens happens, I'll be the well armed fellow, well stocked with ammunition, food, and water, riding the open roads where possible, and walking where not, along with my adult son, whose aim is much better than mine (I have to wear glasses these days), and my two adult daughters and wife, all trained very well  to shoot and fight with knives.

You don't want to have a mini-arsenal and a bug-out bag (believe me, just keeping track of the expiration dates on the food and medications so that I know when to replace them requires a spreadsheet - And let's not even start on keeping inventory of the ammunition), but no one gave much of a damn about me while I was growing up, so I suppose the net effect of that is an OCD where taking care of, protecting, and leaving a legacy for my own family is my version of Starfleet's "Prime Directive".

Sure, I'm a little off in the head, but spend 52 years in my shoes and see how YOU come out the other side Cool
I would suggest any doctor as well..

It doesnt work for me.. But I know it works well for others.

I try to get natural sleep by exercising in the mid afternoon..
I used to get prescribed trazadone. Worked well for sleep. And wow caused some crazy dreams!!!
(04-30-2016, 01:26 PM)Undermedicated Wrote: I used to get prescribed trazadone. Worked well for sleep. And wow caused some crazy dreams!!!

Yes!  Does cause vivid dreams!
Want some vivid (mostly unpleasant) dreams?  Do a month long course of Chantix to quit "dipping" tobacco - Oh, it got me to quit, but I dreaded falling asleep at night.
I understand that. I was prescribed a slew of anti psychotics back in the day: seroquel, geodon, abilify, zyprexa, etc. and it was a nightmare just to think about the nightmares I was about to endure.
Lunar, I'll echo most other posters in that your easiest - and probably cheapest - option to obtain trazadone will be from your GP.

It was one of the first things I was prescribed, first for depression then as a sleep aid. It didn't work for either for me personally, but it isn't hard to obtain a script for because it isn't really abused as far as I'm aware and has no recreational value, so doctors are much more willing to write it up than if you were trying to obtain a Z-drug or benzodiazepine.

That said, to reply to Teddy1998, I'm surprised the olanzapine and quetiapine didn't help you sleep. I used to take quetiapine and that made me quite drowsy, but also nearly made my heart explode or so I thought, and did nothing for my psychotic symptoms. I take olanzapine 5mg on a morning and 15mg at night, and when I first started taking it, it did help me sleep. Now that I've been on it for several years, I've become accustomed to it and it no longer sedates me, unfortunately.

Also to second the suggestion that some intense exercise - if you're able to, of course, I appreciate you may not be able to - may help with your sleep difficulties. It didn't always work for me, but when I have the energy and motivation I will try and work out because it does help a little. Just another tool in your arsenal.