IOPList.Org
Ye ole Cafe - Printable Version

+- IOPList.Org (https://www.ioplist.org)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Ye ole Cafe (/showthread.php?tid=631)

RE: Cafe Linville - willie33 - 03-31-2016

Good morning, friends! Ice, that minion was hilarious! Smile

I need to catch up on the forum, but hello to Smalls. I'm sorry you are not sleeping, but glad you popped in. Welcome!

[Image: 214128-Snoopy-Good-Morning-It-s-Coffee-Time.jpg]

RE: Cafe Linville - Back2Good - 03-31-2016

Good morning, IOPList!

I managed a rare 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep last night, have been up since 5AM, feeding the chickens and refilling their water, then letting them out into their covered range (stupid chicken hawks cost me the entire last weekend covering their fenced in range, but we lost two favorite birds to them last week, so it was time).  Yesterday was a super-bonus day for chick hatching, we had fifteen baby chicks hatch in one of our incubators (they hold 24 eggs each, but not all of the eggs hatch, and sadly, sometimes not all of the babies live more than a few days), and we have another two incubators that are due to start hatching next week and the following week.  I love the sound of them peeping away in the bin we keep them in until they are 10 weeks old in the basement living room right next to my home office (and right across from my bedroom), I suspect that comforting noise is what let me sleep so well last night.

Been at work since 5:30AM (with the assistance of my good friends ModAlert 200 and Oxiracetam), I expect I'll quit for the day around 3PM, then it's date night with my wife (payday always is, dinner of her choice anywhere she'd like to go).

Shaping up to be a fine day here in the deep Southeast - I hope all of you have a wonderful Thursday as well!

RE: Cafe Linville - Charon - 03-31-2016

Good Morning, IOPLIST.

(I am no fun. But...) Have Glorious Days, all!!

Charon, you are loads of fun. But we all know you have been holding the fort down and keeping lookout duty! It is not a very fun job, I can imagine. We don't say thank you enough. I hope you can come and play when things calm down.

Thank you, Charon! Heart

(03-31-2016, 12:23 PM)Charon Wrote: Good Morning, IOPLIST.

(I am no fun. But...) Have Glorious Days, all!!

RE: Cafe Linville - Charon - 03-31-2016

Thank you, willie, for all the Welcomes you did today. You rule!!

RE: Cafe Linville - iNsom - 03-31-2016

(03-31-2016, 12:23 PM)Charon Wrote: Good Morning, IOPLIST.

(I am no fun. But...)  Have Glorious Days, all!!

You dont have to be fun because you are our Queen :-)

P.S Charon, you are fun tho Smile

Good morning/ afternoon everyone.
Well im at work, hectic as usual but my feet are up because the server is down Smile
Well done on the 6 hrs B2G.
Sorry I have not been posting much in here lately, I have been posting in other areas tho.
You all have been keeping this place alive with your daily posts tho!
Damn! Server back up!
Have a great day everyone!

Back2good, great job on stopping those pesky chicken hawks.

Fire, it was not cleverness, but ESP, LOL. Just coincidence. We were posting at the same time. Hope your pain is better today.

Linville, sorry you had trouble sleeping last night. Maybe the weekend will set that straight. Smalls, sorry you are having insomnia, too.

Audrey, good luck with the meetings and changes at work. I know it is stressful. I watched the same thing happen at where I used to work.

Roses5555, you are a hero in my eyes. Don't let one mishap stop you.

Harley, glad your trip to see your family was fun and you got home safe.

I_S, glad to see you in the cafe today. Hope your work server goes back down for a while. ( I don't want your work to pile up though ).

Everyone, have a great day. Smile

(03-31-2016, 12:25 PM)FirePlaces Wrote: Back2Good, what a great post!  Babychicks! How adorable.  

Willie33, so clever to then post Snoopy's baby chick friends.

Ice, you had me thinking for just a second that it was actually Friday.  ;-)

Linville, any idea why you had that good stretch of sleep?  

Audrey, work is almost always stressful it seems.  Of course I don't know if that is true for you but IME work is either stressful, or boring.  Seems so hard to hit that middle ground of interesting and fulfilling.  I wish you the best of luck.  Also, no mgt loyalty to the employees any more at all.  Sorry if I missed the ball a bit on your works pains, trying to empathize a bit.  I worked full time for 18 years so I kind of remember.  Plus DH is still part of the daily grind.  His company keeps cutting back on staff and he just keeps absorbing more and more work.

Man I want to work with Back2Good!  I will be in charge of playing with the baby chicks.  ;-)

Off to make some breakfast and lunches.  Hope everyone has a good day!

RE: Cafe Linville - Back2Good - 03-31-2016

(03-31-2016, 12:25 PM)FirePlaces Wrote: Back2Good, what a great post!  Babychicks! How adorable.  

Willie33, so clever to then post Snoopy's baby chick friends.

Ice, you had me thinking for just a second that it was actually Friday.  ;-)

Linville, any idea why you had that good stretch of sleep?  

Audrey, work is almost always stressful it seems.  Of course I don't know if that is true for you but IME work is either stressful, or boring.  Seems so hard to hit that middle ground of interesting and fulfilling.  I wish you the best of luck.  Also, no mgt loyalty to the employees any more at all.  Sorry if I missed the ball a bit on your works pains, trying to empathize a bit.  I worked full time for 18 years so I kind of remember.  Plus DH is still part of the daily grind.  His company keeps cutting back on staff and he just keeps absorbing more and more work.

Man I want to work with Back2Good!  I will be in charge of playing with the baby chicks.  ;-)

Off to make some breakfast and lunches.  Hope everyone has a good day!

LOL, I sincerely doubt you'd want to work with me FirePlaces...In fact, I grew so tired of the job I've held for the past 8 years (managing projects to complete the hardware, storage, networking, firewall setup, load balancing, and architecture of new customer environments in our data center) and the horrid hours I have to put in (5:30AM - 5:30PM, five days a week, and on-call every other weekend - The only thing that kept me there for 8 years was the fact that I can work from home and the overtime money - 20 hours of OT at time and a half per week is darn good money) that I applied for, interviewed for 6 weeks for, and finally got (just last Friday) an internal transfer.  A transfer to a project management position in a part of the firm completely unrelated to IT altogether - the HR Mergers and Acquisitions shop.

I'll have a lot to learn about what they do and how they do it before I can start to establish project management office standards, policies, and procedures, build out a work breakdown structure that organizes all of the tasks necessary to complete a merger or acquisition and lists estimated durations for those tasks, and it's only at that point that I'll be able to start creating project plans for each deal and managing the work to the plan.  I'm truly blessed that I've been able to work from home for the past 8 years, with infrequent (once or twice per year) trips to the data center when large new deliveries of hardware come in that have to be racked, stacked, and powered, and I remain blessed in that my new position is also a work from home position (the team is scattered across the globe - Lots of conference calls and a few Webexes per week, for which I keep a dress shirt hanging on a bookshelf in my home office, and quickly put it on over the T-shirt I wear for most of the day, then take off and hang back on the bookshelf when the Webex ends).  The hours will probably suck just as badly or worse than those I'm working now, since this position reports to the Corporate headquarters, and not one of the many divisions of the company, so the projects will span the globe (we acquire 4-10 firms per year, all over the world), and I'll probably have to adapt to a super-shift work schedule...work with deal leads on project tasks a few hours in the early morning (3AM - 6AM), rest for a bit, work a few hours at midday (11AM - 2PM), rest for a bit, then work for a few hours in the evening (6PM - 9PM), and fit my reporting in during my "rest" periods - But hey, same deal as my old job, overtime at time and a half, and NO weekend work this time.

It isn't a promotion (there's no pay raise involved, and my job title will remain the same), just a lateral transfer away from work I now find uninteresting and rote, and a away from a new manager who is 20 years my junior, has never worked in the software as a service, software on-demand, or cloud applications field, yet insists that he can improve efficiency in the organization, and is running around trying to prove it by micromanaging tasks he knows nothing about, and trying to be a hard ass about the 7 (seven!) new weekly reports he's requiring.  I can stomach a lot, but I'm simply too old, and yes, grouchy, to suffer fools gladly...And the new manager our VP brought in is nothing if not a fool.  My new boss is an Executive VP 9 years my senior, who has been in his job for almost 17 years, and after the several interviews I've had with him, I'm satisfied that he not only knows what he's doing, but that he's not the micromanaging type.  That's good enough for me.

Yes, I'd suggest not working with me - I'm so drained by Fridays that I need the entire weekend to recover (all of this would be much easier if I were 25 years younger, but at my age, it's exhausting), but with the crazy hours I work, weekends are the only time I have to spend with my wife other than an hour, perhaps an hour and a half watching TV at night - And she likes to get out and about, or work on lawn maintenance or improvements to the chicken facilities, so it's not so much rest I'm getting as it is a break from the insane hours and a chance to get outdoors and get some exercise in besides my hideously boring daily treadmill sessions.

But the baby chicks?  You would be welcome to play with and cuddle them all you like.  We make it a point to hold them, talk to them, give them names, and hand feed and water them from the time they hatch, so all of our adult chickens are the gentlest creatures on earth, and come to their chicken house from their range when called for bedtime, just like a dog or cat might.  The more cuddling they get the better, as far as I'm concerned!

RE: Cafe Linville - djdsk8 - 03-31-2016

Good Morning all!

I've been away busy dealing with my body hating me, I'm sure some of you can relate.

Looks like there is still plenty of coffee, I'm going to grab a cup...

Ahhh... I needed that. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

RE: Cafe Linville - Rose5555 - 03-31-2016

Hi y'all (thought it had been too long since I said that!) Grabbing a moment's peace to say hi to old friends and a big hello to new ones - Smalls, thank you for the support, that means so much; and Back2Good, those baby chicks sound adorable. I absolutely love it when people take proper care of animals, as you are doing; having tame, friendly chickens who come to call and turn up for bedtime is so brilliant, I am full of admiration and can almost hear that little peeping you speak of as I type! I'm joining the queue of people who'd like to come and cuddle/feed/look after - it's only a six or seven hour flight to America!
Audrey, I can always rely on you to be supportive and there for me; I am really sorry to hear about your stressful work situation - it's not as if it is easy to get away from it, after all; one spends so much time at work and if it is stressful, it can play havoc with your health and wellbeing. I hope things start improving soon but sadly we don't seem to be in a world where the sort of improvements necessary are very likely to happen. But my fingers are crossed for you. And my legs and eyes.
Willie, being a hero in your eyes was one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. Thank you for your support. I'm going to try my hardest to live up to it, and to all of the support I've been getting on here - support and no judgement. Way to go.
Charon, you never have to be fun if you're not in the mood, we'll always be happy and glad to see you, it's that simple. You do so much for all of us, myself included, and I agree, we don't say thank you enough - so thank you from my heart.
I am humbled to read the sleep statistics from those of you who have insomnia problems - it is such an intractable problem for so many people and it can really blight lives through and through. Here's hoping for a peaceful long rest for you all this evening.
Have the best of days if you can today, to all.