IOPList.Org
Ye ole Cafe - Printable Version

+- IOPList.Org (https://www.ioplist.org)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Ye ole Cafe (/showthread.php?tid=631)

RE: Cafe Linville - Rose5555 - 05-14-2016

Good morning all.  Audrey, I think you should have said "y'all" which is what I started saying on this thread when I first joined in an attempt to sound more American!  I was swiftly informed that I sounded like a good old gal from the Southern states and rather stopped using it then....but it could very well be reinvented for your presentations  Big Grin

Seriously though, I am with Charon, "ladies and gentlemen" seems polite; but then we never use "folks" over this side of the pond, outside of describing a certain sort of music where the musicians wear patched corduroy trousers and have long shaggy hair. If I put that into a presentation, people would look at me as I were mad - which is actually often what happens, but it's not because I've said "folks".

A big good morning to everyone else today. For me, on the good side, this is the first Saturday with no builders in my house for eight weeks now and it is gloriously peaceful.  On the bad side, I was sent a copy of a referral letter from my physiotherapist to a consultant doctor, regarding the injured knee I have had for two months now.  In it, I discovered for the first time that I have osteoarthritis.  This explains the pain in bed in the mornings but is a major blow for someone as active and sporty as myself.  Gosh, my last year seems to have consisted of one slapdown after another.  Have I offended someone up high?

RE: Cafe Linville - Linville - 05-14-2016

Good Morning Everyone. Happy Satur-Day. To all passing thru .  Smile

Aww Rose5555 you had good news and bad news in your post. 

First Saturday in 8 weeks no builders in the house with you, gets a Big Ole Happy Shout Out Of JOY, no doubt.

But then the news of the knee having been diagnosed with osteoarthritis....I think along with the injury.

Or was that what they think the injury is?

I Suppose there are ways to treat. Sometimes it does seem one thing after another happens, but we must keep on keeping on, eh?

It would be a disappointment for an active person to become restricted because of it I agree, hope it doesnt do too much and that you can fight thru it Rose5555.

On Miss Hepburn's , hmmm you people just doesn't seem right, I skip to bottom line ...Ladies & Gentlemen, sounds like what the person would have liked hearing.

But it sounded like you hit the presentation out of the park with a small caveat she brought up. Maybe you could have kidded with her and said , Oh okay next time I will use the term , You Slugs. No no I kid.

But yes to the Ladies and Gentlemen, it sounds more formal ....although she sort of sounded like she wanted something in between the crisp and the laid back , is why  she suggested word Folks.

Not really knowing if the lady ( word nazi ) only meant at the original start of the presentation, makes it hard for me to suggest.

Such as To the people in this room Good Morning ...today we are going to  etc.

Or is it something used several times throughout the presentation...that you would need more than the once at the beginning.

For you Audrey ( and others , me we could start a thread on using the kings english, oops or is that not PC anymore.

J/K J/K 

But no we could do a thread on dialog of all kinds of things related to words talking in public or informal.

Now look what I have digressed to...LOL

When I took speech class we had to pick a subject and give a speech and we were critiqued but I cannot remember the methods, although in this case we need a substitution, Hmmm, Ladies and Gentlemen, I will need further study. So in summary have a good Saturday.  Smile (Audrey think coffee why I went on rabbit trails here, no offense meant, please)

So you can see my vote for the word substitution....is, Lades & Gentlemen

Fun with words post ended. Thank you Miss Hepburn. I hope your day is free from pain. And that is not a joke.

PS.

No idea why I could not get the font size to all be the same....lets see what have I done now....oh more coffee is the answer.

[Image: tumblr_o6xjc816ie1v4obbzo1_1280.jpg]

RE: Cafe Linville - Charon - 05-14-2016

wow. i aint even had my ensure yet. u r all way over my heads.

just:

Good Morning, IOP! Have a glorious day, all!

RE: Cafe Linville - Linville - 05-14-2016

Tongue And Charon, 
Good Morning IOPSmile

RE: Cafe Linville - IceWizard - 05-14-2016

Good Morning IOP....

[Image: Remember-watching-Saturday-morning-cartoons.jpg]

The weekend is upon us! Yeeee Haawwww!

Sorry ... Thought I was back in Texas for a second... Smile

It's raining here, so I'm grabin a big bowl... Of cereal that is...

Hope y'all have a grand day today...

Ice

RE: Cafe Linville - Roses - 05-14-2016

Good Morning IOP!

It's sunny here this morning but rain & cooler temps are moving in this afternoon.

I am going to transplant some Iris & Lily of the Valley this morning before the rain hits.

Audrey, my vote is ladies & gentlemen too.

Rose5555, I'm glad you have some peace today. Enjoy your day.

Morning, Charon, Ice, Linville, Fireplaces, Pospster, Dancing Wolf & the rest of you lovely people. Have a good Saturday.

RE: Cafe Linville - Slick - 05-14-2016

[Image: 12744477_1039853019410378_11500000132273...e=579CC43B]

Happy Saturday!!!!! Heart

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
LOL!!!  I'm not a lush!!  Really!  Have been up since 4 AM doing a yard sale ( ewwwww!!)  And I am 'observing' a bday today!  (ewwwww)!!  Hahaha!!

Slick   Heart

RE: Cafe Linville - willie33 - 05-14-2016

Good morning, everyone! Smile

[Image: 158411-Have-A-Wonderful-Weekend.jpg?2]

RE: Cafe Linville - Popster - 05-14-2016

Audrey says "I had formal speaking classes also, and barely learned in them. For me to be effective at this, 2 things have to happen. I have to 100% understand my topic inside and out, and be able to answer anything lobbed at me. The second thing (which I've known for years) is I can't use note sheets, or even notes on a powerpoint. It throws me off, makes me stiff and flustered, and sounds terrible."

Boy do I relate to that, notes and crips make me stiffen up and stiffle the communication.....I have done a lot of public speaking and your points 1 & 2 are the only way I am effective and confident.

Everyone have a Happy Day....and perform one act of random kindness Cool

RE: Cafe Linville - IceWizard - 05-14-2016

Slick... You havin a B-Day... Today?...

Ice