Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Daily Curiosities/Obscure Facts
#10
A Fun and Informative Disarray of Factoids Daily--or Semi Daily--Various Sources:


10-3-2016

(Click on above graphic to connect, very handy, Spank)

This is a map of the wheel-ruts of modern English. Etymologies are not definitions; they're explanations of what our words meant and how they sounded 600 or 2,000 years ago.
The dates beside a word indicate the earliest year for which there is a surviving written record of that word (in English, unless otherwise indicated). This should be taken as approximate, especially before about 1700, since a word may have been used in conversation for hundreds of years before it turns up in a manuscript that has had the good fortune to survive the centuries.

The basic sources of this work are Weekley's "An Etymological Dictionary of Modern English," Klein's "A Comprehensive Etymological Dictionary of the English Language," "Oxford English Dictionary" (second edition), "Barnhart Dictionary of Etymology," Holthausen's "Etymologisches Wörterbuch der Englischen Sprache," and Kipfer and Chapman's "Dictionary of American Slang.
 


When did the Beatles win their first Grammy?

April 13, 1965: The Beatles win their first two GRAMMYs: Best New Artist Of 1964 and Best Performance By A Vocal Group for "A Hard Day's Night."
 
 

When was the Braille invented?
When Louis Braille entered the school for the blind in Paris, in 1819, he learned of a system of tangible writing using dots, invented in 1819 by Capt. Charles Barbier, a French army officer. It was called night writing and was intended for night-time battlefield communications.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Daily Curiosities/Obscure Facts - by Spanky - 09-30-2016, 05:40 PM
RE: I'm Feeling Curious - by Linville - 09-30-2016, 05:46 PM
RE: I'm Feeling Curious - by Charon - 09-30-2016, 05:55 PM
RE: I'm Feeling Curious - by Linville - 09-30-2016, 09:38 PM
RE: I'm Feeling Curious - by Spanky - 09-30-2016, 09:58 PM
RE: I'm Feeling Curious - by Charon - 09-30-2016, 10:14 PM
RE: I'm Feeling Curious - by IceWizard - 09-30-2016, 10:16 PM
RE: I'm Feeling Curious - by Spanky - 10-01-2016, 04:23 AM
RE: I'm Feeling Curious - by Spanky - 10-02-2016, 04:26 AM
RE: Daily Curiousities/Obscure Facts: Tales of Decent Men For the Gals, etc. - by Spanky - 10-03-2016, 06:58 AM
addendum - by Spanky - 10-31-2016, 06:00 PM
who forgot? - by Spanky - 10-31-2016, 08:02 PM
problem - by Spanky - 11-06-2016, 02:31 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)