Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows
#49
(07-24-2017, 12:28 PM)anniewilkes Wrote: gilmore girls.  used to hate it.  started to sort of watch it when i woke up each morning until i finally got hooked.

A big fan of GG. I Great writing and I had the opportunity to see the cast reunite at the ATX Fedtival in Austin. My friend still records the re-runs while she's at work. I think I've seen each episode 10 tmes by now.  Smile

(07-24-2017, 01:12 PM)barq- Wrote: For those who like "House of Cards", you might enjoy the original British version of the same name from 1990. It plays out differently because the UK has a parliamentary democracy so some of the terms like "whips" might be confusing (whips ensure that MPs within a political party vote in accordance with the official party policy). But if you like the scheming aspect then I think you'll follow it. I think that even if you don't get into it, just watching one episode is quite illuminating.

If you like Veep, then try "The Thick of It" which is set in UK politics, but produces farcical situations (e.g. making an announcement on TV that then has to be "un-announced"). If you get into that, then you might want to try it's ancestor which is a show from the 80s called "Yes Minister". Whilst the style is a bit dated, a surprising amount holds up well.

Several people mentioned "Black Mirror" so you might want to check out earlier work by Charlie Brooker. My suggestion is "Nathan Barley" which was massively underrated at the time, but rather prophetic. It only got one series, but I thought it was a funny satire (nothing like as dark as Black Mirror).

If you like British comedy then I recommend "Peep Show" which has the unusual feature of being filmed from the perspective of the two main characters. You also hear their internal thoughts, so lots of the jokes come from the difference between what they think and what they say/do. It is very much the comedy of awkwardness and failure that plays out in a very English way (I think that's one of the distinctive differences between US and UK comedy). Another suggestion is "The Inbetweeners" which is about four teenage boys at school (equivalent of high school). One is a pathological liar, another hopelessly in love, and the new guy who used to go to a posh school and is now a fish out of water. What unites them is a very teenage desire for sex and their hopeless attempts to attract women. Some of what they say is incredibly sexist, but the joke is on them and about how much they misunderstand women. Both these shows have strong language, sex and drugs, so very NSFW. Inbetweeners is the cruder of the two. I thought it was very funny, but some people might find them a bit too gross.

I liked "Nurse Jackie", especially the first two series. In the end I felt like I'd had enough and they were running out of ideas. But given her health problems and acquisition of pain killers I suspect some people here might identify with the Jackie character. Although she is constantly messing up and doing things she shouldn't, you feel sympathy for her.

"Will & Grace" - I only saw the short they did to support Clinton's campaign. It felt nice to briefly have the characters back again, but I'm not sure how full length episodes will play out. So much has changed since it first went on TV. It was always rather coy about Will's sexuality as he was the straightest gay man possible. To all intents and purposes he and Grace were a couple, they just didn't share a bed. I wonder if Jack is going to be too much of a stereotype in 2017? However, I reckon they could still have a lot of fun with Karen. She's the sort of screw-ball character they could do anything with. Would be interested to hear what others think...
Hi Barn- 

Ok, I was just in the middle of replying and lost my reply. It just disappeared. Not in the Saved Drafts or anything. Bizarre. I think my iPad has a virus. I know Apple products aren't supposed to be able to get them, but it changes my words iwhen I write and and the auto corrects are not even close.

Anyway, I am excited to see Will & Grace. It will be interesting to see how what writers come up with in light of all the progress made for the LGBTQ community since the show last aired. Karen was my favorite character, 

I have been eyeing Peep Show because of Finn Cole. He's another actor that I like and I've heard that he is really good on the show, and that the show is good in general. It's on my list of shows to watch, as is Black Mirror. 

Never heard of The a Inbetweeners but it sounds good, do I'll look for it. 

Thanks for the recommendations!
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by reilli - 05-30-2017, 08:50 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by reilli - 05-31-2017, 03:27 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by dudcat - 06-02-2017, 02:43 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by reilli - 06-02-2017, 02:45 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by reilli - 06-05-2017, 04:56 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by reilli - 06-06-2017, 07:42 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by reilli - 06-17-2017, 05:53 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by Bishop - 06-19-2017, 05:56 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by reilli - 06-19-2017, 06:13 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by reilli - 07-10-2017, 09:13 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by Muzicatty - 07-24-2017, 05:33 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by barq2 - 07-24-2017, 01:12 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by reilli - 07-25-2017, 05:59 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by Dory67 - 09-10-2017, 05:49 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by reilli - 09-19-2017, 04:49 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by johnw4 - 10-07-2017, 05:09 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by Kimye - 10-07-2017, 08:48 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by reilli - 10-15-2017, 12:14 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by johnw4 - 10-08-2017, 03:06 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by Mapurv - 11-04-2017, 08:19 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by maeve - 01-30-2018, 04:46 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by Naomi - 02-25-2018, 06:47 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by Naomi - 02-26-2018, 06:09 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by Naomi - 02-28-2018, 04:02 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by Naomi - 03-13-2018, 12:30 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by Naomi - 03-16-2018, 04:52 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by schmok - 03-29-2018, 07:18 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by Bandit - 07-11-2018, 10:29 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by reilli - 07-12-2018, 04:38 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by Glenn - 07-18-2018, 10:04 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by Bandit - 08-06-2018, 09:51 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by mxray - 08-09-2018, 08:17 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by Mugen - 10-26-2018, 11:25 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by EL085 - 10-26-2018, 07:37 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by barq2 - 11-05-2018, 12:05 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by Rattzo - 11-10-2018, 11:42 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by F.W.D - 11-10-2018, 06:55 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by Mugen - 11-10-2018, 08:32 PM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by F.W.D - 11-11-2018, 01:44 AM
RE: Netflix/Amazon Binge Worthy Shows - by djdsk8 - 04-22-2019, 05:00 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)