11-01-2017, 08:05 PM
Thanks, this is really interesting because I'm on gabapentin (Neurontin) for idiopathic neuropathy. I've not had too much trouble with gabapentin, but I certainly see the potential for depression with these gabagenic meds. I am also prescribed tramadol, which for me is a functional antidepressant. In my case it is helpful, but it makes it harder to tell the effects of gabapentin.
We are going to see a lot more Lyrica and Neurontin in years to come. The pharma companies (Pfizer) are now promoting them as a treatment for anxiety, and I think that will be big. In the UK the NHS has started suggesting doctors use gabapentin for anxiety. But as with benzos in the past the addictive side is not something most doctors know about. I'm reducing my gabapentin down but my doctor was clueless. I ended up suggesting a taper schedule (a bit like one for benzos - nice and slow). There is also the abuse potential - although I don't understand the appeal!
We are going to see a lot more Lyrica and Neurontin in years to come. The pharma companies (Pfizer) are now promoting them as a treatment for anxiety, and I think that will be big. In the UK the NHS has started suggesting doctors use gabapentin for anxiety. But as with benzos in the past the addictive side is not something most doctors know about. I'm reducing my gabapentin down but my doctor was clueless. I ended up suggesting a taper schedule (a bit like one for benzos - nice and slow). There is also the abuse potential - although I don't understand the appeal!

