11-11-2017, 10:11 AM
Man, Izzy...yet another post that I could have written myself. Pretty much word for word. I am really sorry to hear what your brother is going through. Try to keep optimistic that he will be helped, hopefully as soon as possible. I don't have a brother who shares his problem, but my best friend did for many years. His turned out to more psychological, than physiological, in nature. Deep, unresolved anger and issues. 2 month's of cognitive therapy did more for him than 4 years of going from med to med. His was the exception, though, and certainly not the rule. I have dealt with the most stubborn cases that you could believe. One man was so bad, that they finally ended up using the anesthetic Propofol. Even Midazolam wouldn't put him out. Izzy, are you in the UK? Did the meds they tried on your brother include anesthetic's? They are often seen as the last thing to try because a person under their influence should really be observed for the full time they are under (think Michael Jackson and his incompetent doc). But they will put someone out. For instance, if your brother needed an operation, I am assuming that they can put him under. I am assuming that he responds to anesthetic's. Of course, it's not like real sleep. A person under anesthesia typically doesn't cycle through the normal REM and non-REM stages. It's actually like an induced mini-coma. But if a body is absolutely breaking down because of the prolonged inability to sleep, anesthesia can be used. Anything more that you care to tell about his, or your, situation, I am hear to listen.
