12-31-2017, 11:41 AM
(12-31-2017, 04:26 AM)Blockhead59 Wrote:(12-30-2017, 08:50 AM)Rafterman Wrote: Thanks for your comments Blockhead59! In my experience, American men are certainly afraid to own up to crying, when there isn't really anything that they should have to own up to. It shouldn't be something to be ashamed of. Such a shame that it is seen as a sign of weakness. I am a guy and the type that most people wouldn't think of as a crier. I am ex-military, 6'4" 240lb lifelong bodybuilder (until I recently fell ill) and covered with tattoos. When I would share with others that I engaged in therapeutic crying and they would look at me like they were waiting for the punch line..lol.
No worries, RM! Glad u found it helpful. I think it's funny (not ha ha funny, but some of that, too) that men can cry at sports events or even sports movies, but crying for emotional reasons has been perceived as not masculine. I agree with you that on that. I really hope that people begin to accept therapeutic crying as a beneficial supplemental treatment in helping people. No punch line...lol.
Thanks BH. For what its worth, the men is Europe do have a lower suicide rate than in the US. I am not saying that is because they engage in therapeutic crying, but maybe it is one small piece of the puzzle. I like the rat race and the hustle and bustle of the US. Born in Brooklyn and lived for nearly 50 years in North Jersey (before escaping to the south..lol) so I am geared for the faster pace. But who knows if that has contributed to my depression. They take it slower in Europe and also are not afraid to show emotion. That has to help where depression is concerned. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't live anywhere but the US of A, but just sayin'. Regards, RM
