Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What would happen?
(12-22-2015, 06:14 PM)Insomnia_Sucks Wrote: [edit]
I fear the day I wake up or get home from work and type in www.ioplist.org and get the dreaded "The server cannot be found" message.

Now- I don't know much about why or how websites get shut down, I don't know if it could even happen to this site? I don't know if the website owners/ runners/ Mods/ Admin have it sorted somehow, or its out of their hands, I really have no idea. 
All I know is we've seen and heard about it happen to other sites and I'd HATE it to happen to this place!
I'm sure we all would!

So back to the topic: "What would happen?"
- I assume some of you would be able to get back in contact with one another, but I'd lose contact with everyone. Also all year invaluable information, it's not even nice to think about.

Maybe I don't know yet because I hadn't reached 50 posts, maybe there is a 'put your email
Address here' thread already started? - like a sort of 'underground bunker' thread for worst case scenario.
Maybe not, I have no idea.

So...What would you do if this site (touch wood) suddenly disappeared? 
Or is it a stupid question?

It is a good question. Many of us have been through quite a few forums that either turned bad or vanished. A kind friend brought me here after "the other place" closed. I trust Admin to keep this place as safe as is reasonably possible - but no one can do everything. If a domain or server is seized, there isn't much to be done.

A few people have my email address, and once I have reached enough posts I'll contact a few extra people just in case. Short of having an official "life raft" I think that is the best we can do. The only alternative I can think of would be a pastebin type website where anyone can add an email address, but there are lots of security problems with that. Anyone got a better idea?

I very much hope the day never comes when this site won't load. I had a panic the other day, but it turned out to be my internet!  Wink

Long live IOPlist.ORG!

Messages In This Thread
What would happen? - by iNsom - 12-22-2015, 06:14 PM
RE: What would happen? - by IceWizard - 12-25-2015, 12:12 AM
RE: What would happen? - by iNsom - 12-25-2015, 05:38 PM
RE: What would happen? - by barq2 - 01-02-2016, 01:19 PM
RE: What would happen? - by Linville - 01-02-2016, 02:48 PM
RE: What would happen? - by Charon - 01-02-2016, 03:06 PM
RE: What would happen? - by IceWizard - 01-02-2016, 04:16 PM
RE: What would happen? - by nickolyko - 03-07-2017, 09:35 PM