Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Non benzo meds for anxiety
Personally, my combination of anxiety disorders is just far too severe not to warrant benz@ or b@rbiturates, but whether or not I had to take those medications or not to feel sane, I have always found rotating medications to preserve the efficacy of all substances utilized. 

For example if you need help falling asleep, instead of just taking valerian extract on a long term basis, or just kava kava, or just melatonin, try making a list/assortment of medications/supplements that you find effective, but have noticed some “diminishing returns” with in the past. Instead of relying on any one, make some sort of calendar for yourself and try taking each substance for a little less than the duration that you would normally notice or start to become habit forming or noticeably less effective, and preempt that side effect by switching medications/supplements. In doing so, your body (which is always seeking state of homeostasis) will have more difficulty adapting to, and subsequently rendering potential remedy’s ineffective. 

In my case, as mentioned, I have found this works even within the same class of medications. As I do unfortunately have to rely on benz@s, I rotate between Ativan, Klonopin, and Valium, and I always notice/feel a difference after being on one for a few weeks and then switching, this strategy might not work for everyone, just my 2 cents

I attempted to edit/revise the above posting significantly for content/context/clarification. However, after doing so, in text I was given a message that posts cannot be edited beyond 10 minutes and I had exceeded that amount Sad I wanted to try to add a suggestion addressing the title of this thread, as I felt the post by itself was not enough on-subject and only realized it in retrospect of posting it. I did not intend to post twice, but I guess the only way to address this is to reply to my own post, please feel free to remove one or both posts, or to remove the posts from my account history. If I could edit the original post I would do so as I tried Sad I apologize for my lack of expertise and knowledge of forums.
Here is the remainder of what I wished to add, (minus some revisions which were integrated into the text already posted, thus no longer addressable).

(Intro)
This post in a different vein than the one shortly above in terms of specific suggestions, but I think it has the potential to apply to many if not all medical/herbal remedies. There is also one suggestion for a (primarily sedative) alternative to benzodiazepines, as that is the name/focus of the thread and I don’t want to try to stray too far from that subject/not address it as best as I can 

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————
(Added section)
If it has not been mentioned already as a possible suggestion, the tricyclic group of antidepressants, in specific, the “family” of “Amitriptyline, Nortriptyline, etc.” are known to be heavily sedating. While these do come with many possible side effects and should always be run by a doctor before trying. 

Potential benefits that are related to this thread of benz@s/benz@ alternatives include: relief from insomnia, waking feeling more rested/recuperated, and just a general sense of well-being (perhaps only for those suffering from depression such as myself, but the medication does greatly increase serotonin in the brain, so I’m not sure if that could potentially apply to everyone or not). 

Most notably the sedation, in my experience as well as that of several close friends/relatives who have also taken it daily in a long term capacity (not all for the same reasons as it has many effects/side effects) seems to be more or less a permanent effect of amitriptyline, especially when taken at bedtime. This level of sedation may actually prove too intense for some, resulting in a “hangover” effect in which one feels “spacey” and groggy the next morning/day. Ironically, this is actually the ONE medication that I do not feel the need to ever “alternate” as I might with anxiety medications or pain relievers, because anywhere near “complete” tolerance to said sedative effects seems an impossibility based on all my experience with it. 

Reducing the dose can help, but it is still powerful even at the starting dose, and certainly not the right medication for everyone, as it has many side effects, which I will not get into here as I believe that can be a self fulfilling prophecy to dwell on, especially for the anxious like myself haha. but I will say that anyone considering it as an alternative/adjunct to any sedative/anxiolytic they are currently using should research it thoroughly and definitely try to consult at least a GP as well. 
(08-03-2019, 03:23 AM)Lavender Wrote: The docs have been trying to "replace" benzos for me since I was first diagnosed with PTSD and GAD back in '05. I've tried everything-- buspirone, hydroxyzine,  beta blockers (propranolol), you name it. I always ended up back in the ER or the "Loony Bin." I've been through enough and know what works for me but they never ever listen. Sooooooooo...  Rolleyes
Has anyone seen the CBS 60 Minutes on the clinical trial using micro-dosing of Hallucinogenics as treatment for PTSD?  There was recently, in the last 6 weeks a spot on treating combat vets with this protocol with real success. I haven't heard any reaction but it seemed like an cure for PTSD.
Being kind to others costs nothing and enriches your life, 
never forget how you felt when someone was once cruel to you,
we all have felt unloved at one time or another we should never want another to feel that way. Smile
Melatonin supplements mixed with other calming agents seems to really hit the spot when I'm trying to not take benz@s every day.

Melatonin 3mg with valerian and L-theanine 30 minutes before I intend to sleep makes me very drowsy, and I actually fall asleep easily without getting the feeling that I neeeed my medication. It's refreshing to do this at least once a week.
Gabapentin works for a lot of people

I have tried and not had much success with SSRIs (they all make me sleepy), buspirone, gabapentin, and some atypical antipsychotics. Oh yeah and I just saw hydroxyzine mentioned, that's what they gave me in the psych ward last time but it was sedating.

The one thing that does work for me is a beta blocker (propranolol) that at least helps with my physical symptoms of anxiety like racing heart even though it doesn't do much for the thoughts
Keep off ket . Great 1st few times ( if used correct ) wek later totally different

Stromg joints ar night priod to bed
Video 
(03-27-2020, 11:08 PM)Tigertail58 Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 03:23 AM)Lavender Wrote: The docs have been trying to "replace" benzos for me since I was first diagnosed with PTSD and GAD back in '05. I've tried everything-- buspirone, hydroxyzine,  beta blockers (propranolol), you name it. I always ended up back in the ER or the "Loony Bin." I've been through enough and know what works for me but they never ever listen. Sooooooooo...  Rolleyes
Has anyone seen the CBS 60 Minutes on the clinical trial using micro-dosing of Hallucinogenics as treatment for PTSD?  There was recently, in the last 6 weeks a spot on treating combat vets with this protocol with real success. I haven't heard any reaction but it seemed like an cure for PTSD.

Wow, Tigertail58. Thank you so much. I just saw this post and went to Youtube immediately to see if I could find anything and I certainly did.

It sounds pretty promising and I'm wondering if they're still doing this. I would definitely take a 15 minute shot in the neck to feel like these guys. 

Thank you so much. It's research time for me!  Idea

~Lavender

I don't know if SGB is a Hallucinogenic (I'm sure other members would know, though  Tongue ) but I copied and pasted "CBS 60 Minutes on the clinical trial using micro-dosing of Hallucinogenics as treatment for PTSD" straight from your post and this is what I found. 

~Lavender
I don’t really like it but I take serroquell25s about 3-4 nights a week for sleep and then antihistamine 3 nights in a row then back to the S 25s. My doctor would want me taking 100mg-300mg every night for sleep as I have PTSD night time symptoms but I just dislike it so much. It makes me crazy hungry and makes me not care.. Anyway it works, I will admit that. Out like a light. but I find I build a tiny little tolerance to the low 25mg so I have the break days where I either stay awake one night or take antihistamine (50-75mg) because nothing quite does what serrraKWELLS do. That stuff has me sleeping standing up and dribbling, it feels wonderful especially when your body isn’t used to it (am I aloud to say that?) It’s bad though because you get the whole slirrred speech head dropping sedative effects. it’s good as it works and it keeps me safe.
But it’s just awful on a different level. It ruins things. It makes you not care. So things you plan to do, you might decide to cancel and stay in bed. You might decide to eat half the pantry worth of food even if it was someone else’s food.
I guess it’s for anxiety and sleep off lable use. I just get a bit annoyed they throw unlimited major antipsychotics at you but won’t prescribe ben7os or proper sleeping pills. To be fair I am prescribed small amount of Val. They are so generous I’m aloud 5mg a fortnight.. that’s sarcasm. When I take a Val I don’t turn into a dribbling, stumbling, undignified food stealing person. I just feel normal and maybe safe and secure feeling. I’m not sure why S the one with the major drunk/sedative effects is the one they want you to take.
I just wish I could have a night time medication that didn’t totally take my dignity away.
I have never had any psychosis and haven't been diagnosed with schizophrenia but still S is the medication the doctors want me on. in my country they will prescribe S to a lot of people these days even for depression. It’s odd. Very strange. They say it’s because S isn’t habit forming. Maybe I should be a little more greatful but I dunno, it seems like a very serious drug to be handing out so freely. I’m probably just offended about b3n3os being restricted. I will admit I don’t know much about addiction and I do recognise that it’s probably for good reason.

Anyway I’ve ranted.
But yes S is used off label to treat anxiety and possibly sleep problems, if the sleeping problem was anxiety related and simply not insomnia.
(06-23-2022, 11:16 AM)connie8472 Wrote: I don’t really like it but I take serroquell25s about 3-4 nights a week for sleep and then antihistamine 3 nights in a row then back to the S 25s. My doctor would want me taking 100mg-300mg every night for sleep as I have PTSD night time symptoms but I just dislike it so much. It makes me crazy hungry and makes me not care.. Anyway it works, I will admit that. Out like a light. but I find I build a tiny little tolerance to the low 25mg so I have the break days where I either stay awake one night or take antihistamine (50-75mg) because nothing quite does what serrraKWELLS do. That stuff has me sleeping standing up and dribbling, it feels wonderful especially when your body isn’t used to it (am I aloud to say that?) It’s bad though because you get the whole slirrred speech head dropping sedative effects.  it’s good as it works and it keeps me safe.
But it’s just awful on a different level. It ruins things. It makes you not care. So things you plan to do, you might decide to cancel and stay in bed. You might decide to eat half the pantry worth of food even if it was someone else’s food.
I guess it’s for anxiety and sleep off lable use. I just get a bit annoyed they throw unlimited major antipsychotics at you but won’t prescribe ben7os or proper sleeping pills. To be fair I am prescribed small amount of Val. They are so generous I’m aloud 5mg a fortnight.. that’s sarcasm. When I take a Val I don’t turn into a dribbling, stumbling, undignified food stealing person. I just feel normal and maybe safe and secure feeling. I’m not sure why S the one with the major drunk/sedative effects is the one they want you to take.
I just wish I could have a night time medication that didn’t totally take my dignity away.
I have never had any psychosis and haven't been diagnosed with schizophrenia but still S is the medication the doctors want me on.  in my country they will prescribe S to a lot of people these days even for depression. It’s odd. Very strange. They say it’s because S isn’t habit forming. Maybe I should be a little more greatful but I dunno, it seems like a very serious drug to be handing out so freely. I’m probably just offended about b3n3os being restricted. I will admit I don’t know much about addiction and I do recognise that it’s probably for good reason.

Anyway I’ve ranted.
But yes S is used off label to treat anxiety and possibly sleep problems, if the sleeping problem was anxiety related and simply not insomnia.

Have you tried one of the z-drugs like zopiclone?

BTW I agree with you about use of antipsychotics to treat insomnia. One friend recomends mirtazepine but it still has the pantry emptying problem.
I haven’t tried Zopicl0ne yet. I am slowly learning about it all and only recently realising the different kinds of sleep aids/night meds. They definitely never suggest it. But I am keen to not be taking antihistamine forever. The doxy pack though you mentioned earlier in the thread/forum is my go to as I can just purchase it over the counter or the KirrklanD is best price you are right. I live in Aussie so it’s harder but recently during lockdown I have noticed those 96 tabs on eBay . It’s always available now. Years ago I would have to get questioned by a chemist but not anymore. We can get the Benadryl type ones on eBay too. But I have heard they are linked to dementia (all of the antihistamines). So looking for something better.

I use iHerb dot com for melatonin and vitamins. Way cheaper then the chemist. Even with shipping it’s a fraction of the prices hear in Aus

I really wish my country had C@nabi$. If we did many wouldn’t need the strong psych meds. (With in reason I know it hurts some people) but Yeahh
I tried CBD oil for a few months and I was able to totally stop Serokwells. But I only had 3 months oil and it was to expensive to keep up. CBD oil didn’t make me sedated or nod off it simply made me feel normal and slightly “content” when I wasn’t sleeping laying in bed I felt okay and didn’t fret about not sleeping and make it worse. —- and then eventually I just fell asleep normal.
I’m hoping for better for the future. Maybe Aus will catch up one day.

Have you tried CBD oil? I know it’s not strong but I did find it did something although it was hard to put into words. Also helped me not eat at night. I ate so much better when I had CBD oil. This was important because when you do eat at night it’s like your body gets used to it and expects it. But CBD felt a little like T0ppA-Max in that it took cravings or obsessive thinking away. That “content” feeling I mentioned it’s not strong but being content changes a lot.
CBD was odd because I felt nothing yet I felt okay and free from the anxiety. That’s how a good medicine should be I guess.
Anxiety is something I’ve battled my entire adult life, hit me when I was 17 and never stopped
I’ve been scripted every med possible to help me cope and good lord it’s been a struggle. The supplements did minimal to help when my anxiety was out of control but during periods of low anxiety I found them beneficial. Anxiety is such a struggle day in day out. I stay positive as possible and know I will get through whatever comes my way.