Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Non benzo meds for anxiety
(10-28-2015, 11:26 PM)Grandote Wrote: Its very true about big pharma paying off govt and govt protecting the huge profits of big pharma. This is one of the main reasons marijuana is still illegal most places. As for 5htp, use it with caution. There have been some reports that it can harm heart valves or other parts of the body. Large doses are definitely not recommended. Tryptophan might be a better option.

That's why it's important to review contraindications when taking ANY supplement or herb.  They are the original medications.  New medications by big pharma are the new generation.

Also, you'd have to WELL EXCEED the recommend max dosage of 300mg to experience any ill side effects with 5HTP.

@Grandnote, would you kindly post the scholastic evidence of heart valve damage?  I've not seen that cited prior to your mention?

Thanks a mill.  CL
Carog, the jury is still out to some degree on 5htp but they have found troubling evidence. Use duckduckgo or google to find more info. 5htp converts into serotonin which can have good and sometimes bad effects

http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/neur-sci/19...37051.html

In all cases where valve problems are associated with high blood
serotonins, the daily amounts of serotonin released into the
bloodstream needed to do the nasty dead (judged by urine metabolites)
is about 50 mg a day. Which is about the standard 5-HTP dose. So if
you're taking that, and metabolizing much of it, you can theoretically
be in trouble. No carbadopa is routinely given with the stuff to block
conversion to serotonin in the liver, and B6 is asctually sometimes
given to "help" conversion in the brain (idiotically, since it just
make the problem worse in the liver-- people long ago learned they
can't do that with L-DOPA). Again, as you know, when these amino acid
analoges are decarboxylated in the liver, they are no longer
transportable into the brain by the large aryl amino acid transporter
there. So they are stuck in the system, and your lungs and other
organs have to metabolize them. Meanwhile, they wreck your pulmonary
valve. Steve Harris, M.D.
Unfortunately nothing expect Benzos help with my anxiety. I've tried Valerian root, 5-htp, and pretty much every other natural remedy and nothing works at all.
If I could, I would try acupuncture. Unfortunately, I don't do too well with "outside".

Propranolol and Mirtazapine.
Propranolol is supposed to help with those horrible palpitations you experience - the ones that feel like your heart is going to jump out of your chest? And the other one is supposed to have a sedating effect. I honestly don't know if the mirtaz is doing what it's supposed to do. Side effect of that one is weight gain. Oh yeah, baby!

I'm also prescribed valium. I don't like taking them, so I use it if I absolutely have no other option.
Anti depressants scare the hell out of me, so I try to find an alternative. Exercise helps, a lot. I remember a conversation I had with my counsellor. She kept on about how they would benefit me a great deal, and I pointed out the side effects and how in a few years time, there will be an even BETTER drug with no (known) side effects... to replace the current ones - because of the bad side effects associated with.

Just wanna be normal.................... Wink
I do take propranolol for the physical anxiety symptoms(sweating, shaking, heart palpitations) But I still need benzos for the mental aspects of anxiety.
(11-11-2015, 05:38 AM)Athena Wrote: Has anyone tried meditation for their anxiety? I use that and certain yoga positions in conjunction with my benzo when I am having a stressful day. (Often).

Hi Athena. That has also been suggested to me. I have used it, but it didn't last for very long - though I will say, it was definitely effective. Even just 3 minutes of relaxation time (music, scented oils or whatever) it worked. I should try doing that again :Smile

On that matter (meditation), I remember learning Tai Chi and other relaxation techniques when I just coming into that horrible adolescent age. Which makes me also wonder if it's possible to re-train our minds when it comes to dealing with certain situations. It must be.
What I've written is probably stupid. I haven't read up on what I just wrote. These are just my own 0.2 cents worth.

Meditation vs Medication.

Glad you brought that up
Meditation is very good for reducing anxiety and stress. Simply relaxing all parts of the body and then watching the breath will do a lot. Stretching exercises help a lot too. Tension often lands in certain muscle groups causing knots. Stretching and light exercise help loosen the knots.

Another thing that is good is using reflexology and shiatsu pressure points. This is related to accupuncture but using the pressure of your hands instead of needles.
I have had some success with Valerian Root,
I know its homeopathic but works well with Benzos, especially when trying to reduce doses of meds
All of these things seem all well and good the thing is with me is Benzos saved my life and they were magic....then the downside you become tolerant and then you get addicted. I am one that believes they are great but also wished I would have never taken them that is a conundrum huh?
(11-11-2015, 05:19 AM)Longbaugh Wrote: I do take propranolol for the physical anxiety symptoms(sweating, shaking, heart palpitations) But I still need benzos for the mental aspects of anxiety.

I had exactly the same experience. Beta blockers helped me with all the physical aspects (which makes sense), but I needed benzos for the psychological dimension. For some people not having the butterflies in the stomach feeling does genuinely allow them to relax a bit and that is enough to help with the mental side. I'm quite envious of those people! I'd much rather only take propranolol.