Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Wellbutrin and insomnia. Anyone using it ?
Hi :
I started to take it 5 weeks ago, since then the insomnia ( I already have it but not that strong ) is simple unbearable . Ambien did nothing, I had to take 1 to 2 mg of Xanax ( was not taking since several years ago ) to could sleep, and even so , the sleep is not really good . 

My Question is, it get better with time ? or is the kind of side effect that simple stay with you as long as you take the wellbutrin ?
Thanks !
Also, I take the XL version only 150mg per day.
Hey Relax, I was on the 150mg xl for a few months, and didn't notice any increased insomnia (which I have, and manage, for other reasons).

I'm upping to the 300mg xl as soon as I can, but will let you guys know if I experience any negative side effects.
(04-13-2017, 12:14 AM)Hamil Wrote: Hey Relax, I was on the 150mg xl for a few months, and didn't notice any increased insomnia (which I have, and manage, for other reasons).

I'm upping to the 300mg xl as soon as I can, but will let you guys know if I experience any negative side effects.
Hi Hamil :
Thanks a lot for your answer. Any other side effects ? 
Also, do you take it cause depression, cause anxiety, or both ?
The other thinks I really bother me are Sweaty palms and more oily skin .

I started Wellbutrin cause the "sexual side effects " free. But I am start wondering if was the right choice, cause my insomnia and anxiety problems.
Can't say I noticed any side effects on the 150s... I take it for depression, but it only seemed to bump me up from daily despair to a more "neutral" mood (not that I'm complaining; I had a complete breakdown at work before I realised that I needed to do something about the way I was feeling).

I do take a lots of vitamins daily though, so maybe they prevented the side effects? (theanine, general a-z vit tablet, carnitine + l-carnitine, omega oils, and garlic for heart health)

Anxiety is a rare one for me, but I do keep a supply of valium at hand for in case I notice anxiety is getting out of hand (it's my insomnia backup solution as well). So, more of an ad-hoc thing there; I don't take val on a regular basis.

No sexual side effects was the main pull for me also for wellbutrin... One of life's simple pleasures that I'd rather keep!
i cannot speak to insomnia but when my depression was at its worst in recent years i was driven to try a few anti-depressants, a process that i am pretty adverse to, and the first one i tried was wellbutrin based on the reccomendation of several people i knew well, one of which was in a similar pharmaceutical position. i went up to 300 mg and it had no effect as far as i could tell and i'm pretty aware of even slight changes in my brain chemistry due to drug use. insomnia is something you can try to treat or mitigate but i would be curious to hear how many people (and for me personally people who take buprenorphine as a maintenance medication) have great results, poor results, or no reaction whatsoever to wellbutrin.

-S.
Thanks a lot for your answers ! I will give it at least till the 8th-9 week and see what happen.
Good luck, Relax. Also, it could be worth googling possible interactions between the WB and anything else you're taking... Might just be a case of your insomnia being potentiated by the combination.
(04-14-2017, 12:00 AM)Hamil Wrote: Good luck, Relax. Also, it could be worth googling possible interactions between the WB and anything else you're taking... Might just be a case of your insomnia being potentiated by the combination.

Thanks for the advice. I also did a research and it look like insomnia is one of the common side effects ( around 20 % of the persons on the clinical trials suffer it as side effect ) . But I will keep till I ran out and see if it get better, will update Smile
OK, After 60 days ( a think that actually 58, 3 days ago ) I stopped this medicine understanding why they call Wellbutrin HELLbutrin .

I am still shocked, in around 18 years "testing " meds ( from Mirtazapine, prozac to Klonopin, etc ) I never, never , had such nasty side effects and I was just on 150mg XL .

I am going to list them, I do not understand how anybody can use this as an antidepressant, I think that only should be usefully if you used another ATD too and if you have zero anxiety or insomnia problems ( which are extramly rare to do not have it if you are a depressive person ). Even if this stuff put you with super libido ( which in my case , don`t ) I see no reason on use it. :

Insomnia : My insomnia before wellbutrin, in a "scale " was around 5 to 6 . With Hellbutrin I went to a 10. Days without even available to sleep after taking Ambien. Only Xanax or Dormicum where succefully on put me into sleep, and even so, it felt like I was never really sleeping .

Anxiety : Hard to tell, since I was not available to sleep cause Wellbutrin, I started Xanax. But I did not notice anything better than I do when I take xanax .

Rapid heart rate : In repose I usually had 60 to 64, on Wellbu I went to 72-78 .

Oily skin : I have oily skin, but this was too much .

sweating : Simple insane, specially on some places like the Palms

Cystic Acne : I got, for the first time in my life during this 58 days, two big, incredible big painfull Boils. And the explanation was really simple, this is what it cause extremely oily face plus extremely sweating.

In resume, I prefer to pass 10 Xanax withdrawals, have no libido, etc before touching this crap of medicine again. Is not a smart idea to play with your adrenaline levels ( plus it also increase DHEA ) and who knows more . The efffect on Dopamine is extremely low.
Now I understand ( sorry Doc ) Why Hellbutrin is not a first choice, or second, or thirdh Smile ATD choice.

Hope this help somebody to think 20 times before using this insane medicine.