Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Registration and Rules
The problem of having new members arrive and then upset our forum is a difficult one.
There is no simple solution and there is no single solution.....
Perhaps multiple small ideas can work together to minimize the problem.

I have a couple of suggestions that may help alleviate (not solve) the problem.

1.  During the registration process I think new members should be FORCED to read our rules.
Perhaps the rules could be itemized with check boxes placed in front of each rule so that a new member must     check that he/she has read that rule. (similar to how ttm2u operates).

2.  At the end of the page should be another check box in front of a statement such as:  "I have read the rules and agree to abide by them."

3.  One more thing.....one of the rules should be that all new members' first posts must be in the "Welcome" thread.

Maybe even make it so that after registration the first and only thread they can see is the "Welcome" thread.

Won't stop all the creepoids....but it will stop some (the lazy ones not willing to spend the effort to go through the process I am suggesting)

Just ideas.....feedback of any kind welcome!
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata
Hi Athena,

Yes, you got it....I don't know that our software is capable of this, but Admin would know.
What's your take on "forcing" newbies to read and agree to our rules?

(10-28-2015, 06:57 PM)Athena Wrote: Hi Pops! 

I really like the idea that all they see is Welcome Thread first. 
I wish there was a way that, until they posted there, they couldn't go to any other thread. 

Is that what you just said? I love that idea.
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata
it would be nice if they had to go and post in welcome thread.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

I really Like this idea. Although when I got here I believe I made 2 or 3 posts before being told to go to the welcome board, which I immediately did. You guys run a very tight ship here and I know you have thousands of resons for that which I wont go into, but outta all the boards I been on, Charon and Athena hold it down like no others I've seen before!
Great idea Pops...

Maybe, just a thought and you know mine come "infrequently" .. But if the only thread one could see after joining was the welcome thread, then they'd be forced to post there to open up the others.... Kinda like the 50 post minimum to see our email vendors, it would be a one post minimum to see our forum ...period.. That would be an incentive to post there first indeed....

Ice
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
Craig923......read a little closer...your not getting it.
The idea is to have access only to the Welcome thread AFTER registering/joining....so that anyone's FIRST post must be in the Welcome thread.

Your point about being able to see if there is info here that interests you...and therefore worth joining is a good point....but that's not what we are talking about.

Welcome aboard and thanks for the post.

(11-04-2015, 06:04 AM)craig923 Wrote: I joined because I read some of the content and saw there was useful information here. If all I saw was the Welcome thread I wouldn't have joined. bad past experiences. I read enough elsewhere to know my first post should be in the Welcome thread. tried to include some background info not just a generic "Hi, thanks for letting me join" post.
I feel Craig's meaning was merely that they already have access to the info but pops you are talking about an essentially forced initiation process. Where you know what you want but have to complete a task before allowed to enter
It is not a task to introduce yourself in the Welcome thread....it is good manners.
The problem has been that newbies join our forum and then go straight for the vendors threads asking questions and commenting (many of the questions have already been answered in the vendors threads) and many of the comments break our rules.

When one meets people.....they introduce themselves.....it's that simple....it's also how you get respect.
Just coming on and posting before an intro.......too impersonal and shows a lack of respect......lots of other forums are available for that.

We are trying diligently to have a supportive forum that is absent of discord, mean posts and fighting......
One way to set the tone is to read/follow the rules AND introduce oneself.

(11-05-2015, 11:11 PM)selfless-desires Wrote: I feel Craig's meaning was merely that they already have access to the info but pops you are talking about an essentially forced initiation process. Where you know what you want but have to complete a task before allowed to enter