Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird.... But True!
Not in one day mind you but in a short period. Birds, young birds do the same. They will eat more than their weight each day in worms, etc.
Thanks Ice Wizard. I did not know Popeye's nephew's name was Poopeye. Geez, can you imagine the fights a boy would have to have growing up with a name like that. Ha ha .
(02-14-2016, 03:43 PM)JimboS Wrote: Thanks Ice Wizard.  I did not know Popeye's nephew's name was Poopeye.  Geez, can you imagine the fights a boy would have to have growing up with a name like that.  Ha ha .

They might as well have just named him pinkeye, or conjunctivitis.
“When they said, repent, I wonder what they meant.” - Leonard Cohen RIP
Great list of stuff Ice!

"Mad as a hatter" is derived from treatment of the beaver skinned hats popular in the late 18th, early 19th century.  Mercury was used in the processing of the raw pelts.   Mercury, slowly and constantly absorbed into the hatters' systems caused brain damage, and eventual dementia. 

Spanker
Dang... And I've always liked those kinds of hats... Never wore one... Hmmm wonder what MY excuse is then?! Lol

Ice
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
In 1974, on a weekend, I was walking across a small campus ground at the community college in Fresno, CA.  A street separated the campus open central ground from the gym and pool across the street. 

As I approached the street from the far end of the grassy area, I noticed a truck had more or less backed up, and had its doors opened to the open grass area.  A group, maybe twenty or so mainly students were gathered around the back of the truck, apparently accepting small packages being distributed by two people in the back of the truck.  On reaching the group, I asked one of the people leaving with the small package what was going on.
"They are giving away bacon," said the guy.  "Just handing it out.  It's Patty Hearst bacon." 

The big news of the last few days was that Patty Hearst, heir to the Hearst fortune, had been kidnapped by the SLA (Symbionese Liberation Army).  The SLA was a shadowy, ill-defined radical group known to have committed bank robberies in the name of liberty(?), and funding for the group.  The SLA had demanded on TV--just two days before I believe--that free food be handed out.  No government committees, no wrangling, just hand out some food, in this case bacon, or the heiress would soon be toast.  And they wanted it done now, right now. 

So I made my way and was handed a 1 pound package of Patty Hearst bacon.  I was fairly a political, but I figured a free pound of bacon was a free pound of bacon.  I was opposed to the Viet Nam war--always supported the troops, and was always disgusted at those protesters who denigrated the returning vets, just to be clear.  So frying and eating the bacon was probably the closest I ever got to violent radical protest.  I wasn't even sure what the SLA was about, they were half gang, half protesters, and basically terrorists in today's terms.  Anyway, I figured any bad karma that filtered down from the kidnapping and bank robberies was sufficiently diluted by the time it got to my pound of bacon was an amount I could work off.  I knew the cost was coming out of daddy Heart's pocket, because the government then, as now, could never had reacted that fast. 

Only free bacon I ever received, tasted fine. 

the Spanker